1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

A neighbor's wireless network intrudes

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by skaler2k, 2005/04/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/04/27
    skaler2k

skaler2k Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My laptop has suddenly started showing a preference for a wireless network called "linksys ". Whenever I bring it out of standby, it connects to the unsecured network that I assume belongs to one of my neighbors. Until recently, it would connect to mine: "mshome2 ", which is being transmitted from a Microsoft wireless router in my basement. Both available networks have the same signal strength. All of my computers have Win XP. I can override the connection and force it to connect to my own. How can I stop the laptop from connecting to the linksys in the first place?
    Thanks.

2. 2005/04/28
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Get on the Linksys network. Open IE and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
    When prompted leave the password field blank and use admin for the password.
    Once your in change the password and turn on WEP.
    Your neighbor will get the hint after a few days. :D :D :D :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/04/28
    NetDoc

NetDoc Inactive

You could modify the channel that you are using for your wireless network. It, and the neighbour's, are probably on channel 6. Try changing yours to channel 1 or 11.

DRD

5. 2005/04/28
    Scott Smith

If you are running XP SP2 and using Windows WIFI utility it will not automatically connect to an unsecure network.

If you are using the WIFI adapter's utility to manage wireless connections I would recomend uninstalling it and using XP SP2's WIFI utility.
    MS did a great job with this one!

6. 2005/04/28
    skaler2k

Changing channels

Thanks for the replies. Both of my neighbors are good guys, so I don't want to do anything malicious. Sounds like perhaps the channel change would be the path of least resistance. I am just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, so I'd be reluctant to uninstall a utility that works and perhaps ***** up the new one, unless you are willing to hold my hand and tell me where the Microsoft Utility resides. Is it native to Win XP, or is it something that needs to be downloaded from their site? I do have SP2 installed on my primary and laptop computers.
    I looked around and can't find the place where the channel change can be effected. Help?
    Thanks.

7. 2005/04/28
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

SSmith - nice guy, but I bet it would create some havoc huh? hehehe ........

Skaler2K - set up your wireless for MAC addressing and only let your laptop connect to it. Also as suggested, change the channel. See your other post re: your printer situation.

;)

8. 2005/04/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

In wireless networking settings, there is a checkbox to enable or disable connection to non-preferred networks. Your neighbors wifi is prollly listed in you list of preferred wifi networks, remove it from your list.

9. 2005/04/28
    Scott Smith

There is a bunch of smiley faces at the end of the post. ;)

My daughter is a college student and yes I had a little fun at her dorm. :D :D

10. 2005/04/29
    skaler2k

Thanks! Problem solved.

I found the list of preferred networks, and deleted all but my own. Laptop now connects only to my router. I appreciate the inputs. Thanks again.
    Vic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.