1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Living and Loving Norton

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Johanna, 2005/01/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/30
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

Millions of computers have Norton in different flavors installed. Symantec is a leader in internet security, and often bundles their software with OEMs as a "feature ". I would guess many Windows users have run into Norton at least once. The following is a guide to help you minimize Norton problems.

1. Always install Norton directly after the OS, and before you go online. When you go online, bleed Live Update (LU) and reboot whenever prompted. This can take awhile, just do it, until it pronounces you up to date at least twice in a row.
    2. Unless you know specifically what you are doing, let Norton default. Do not restrict any of its online access, and do not monkey with any settings you are unsure of. A new user can safely use the "Automatic Program Control" to reduce the prompts.
    3. The first advice you will ever be given about a Norton problem is uninstall reinstall. There are alternatives. First, make sure Norton really is the problem. Many times it is blamed unfairly. If you're sure it's a Norton issue, go to the live update and see if you need anything. I do not know why, but occasionally Norton gets goofy when an update requiring a reboot is in the queue. You must do a manual Live Update to get an update requiring a reboot.
    4. You can try installing overtop. Sometimes that works, just be sure to go to LU again, when you finish.
    5. If you must uninstall and reinstall, go offline first. Then visit LU immediately when you go online, as many times as it takes.
    6. If you get fed up and decide to dump Norton, forget registry cleaners to remove the debris. Either learn to live with it, or reformat and reinstall your OS. (A clean install of Norton at that point will be painless!)
    7. A Norton AV scan is not the same as an online scan by any of the major companies. By default, at 8pm on Friday, Norton will scan your computer for anything in it's database. If the bad guy slipped by in the first place, chances are Norton won't find it now. Get into a routine of doing an online scan, and disable the auto scan.
    8. Norton logs are your friend. You can find out every communication your computer had, even if some teenager tried to delete his evidence. Password protect Norton for privacy, or for assurance that no one will change your chosen settings.
    9. Norton can boss stubborn software. Some software wants to connect to the internet needlessly, and there is no way to control its access within itself. Norton can "make a rule ", and end that problem. (I don't need MS Word to use the net everytime I save a document, or open one!)
    10. USE the email in and out scan feature. Yes, there is a pause, esp on a big file. The reason I say scan outgoing mail is because if your computer does get a malicious mass mailer of some sort, Norton will let you know right away. Of course you are scanning incoming anything, that's why you bought Norton, right?
    11. If you feel Norton is a resource hog (it is!) it is time to justify a new computer. Norton is sluggish on old comps, but a new comp w/XP isn't even going to notice Norton, and you won't either.

Hope this helps someone.
    Johanna

2. 2005/01/31
    James

James Inactive

I totally disagree. And so do most of the Microsoft MVP's. My Pentium IV is not a screamer but it's fast enough: WinXP SP2, 4.2 MHz CPU, 512 Mb RAM, 200 Gb hard drive. It moves at a reasonable speed. But it moves better without Norton than with Norton, I can guarantee this. And with Norton I received terrible tech support... only weekly updates... and it was costly in comparison to many other alternatives. In all of these areas I'm better off with Trend Micro and most of the MVP's feel they're better off with the Professional version of AVG. And I might add that all of the options mentioned in the body of your post are available in Trend Micros' new security suite for half the cost. So... like I mentioned before... different strokes for.... :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/31
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Might make some readers question your opinion but others will probably understand that Norton is going to have a problem on a 4.2 MHz System.

:rolleyes:

5. 2005/01/31
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I do not agree wtih that at all. Way, way to harsh.

Use the uninstall.

Restart Windows. ( one on the most important parts here )

Use Windows Explorer to delete any folder/files related to Symantec. If any won't delete then findout what part of Norton is still running.

Restart Windows

If you happen to have Norton Utilities use WinDoctor to help remove some of the no longer needed items. ( I use it from the CD )

Then use something such as RegSeeker to clean up the Registry. It does a pretty good job.

Then when things are cleaned up and all seems to be OK don't forget to delete the old and MAKE NEW Restore Ponts in XP. And new RB00X.cab files in 98.

In fact the above is best to do between any uninstall/reinstall of ANY software. Not just Norton.

BillyBob

6. 2005/01/31
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

As a Ghost user, I disagree with those two points.

I install as much as possible before installing anything Norton. I download updates to the HDD and if necessary burn to CD(s) to avoid going on-line prematurely.

Prior to installing Norton and going on-line for the first time, I create an Image.

My #6 would read:

"Roll back to " No No" (No Norton) using the appropriate Image. Install the new AV software and other software that was removed in the roll-back. "

It sure beats a clean installation ...... ;) ...... !

Christer

7. 2005/01/31

BillyBob Inactive

Christer

Brings out a very good point.

Make backup BEFORE installing ANY SOFTWARE not just Norton.

With XP it is so simple that it is almost funny.

I have absolutley no knowledge of Ghost or any other type of Image.

But the IDEA is the same.

System Restore in XP can be VERY USEFUL ( if handled properly ). But it does require some THINKING and PLANNING. Left on its own I have other discriptions of it.

And the RB00X.cab files in 98 can be helpfull too. ( if they are also handled correctly ) They only get the Registry but that is a good help in cleaning.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2005/01/31
  8. 2005/01/31
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Moot Point, but re: Johanna #6, I sure would concur with her opinion for those that didn't make a "NN" image before hand. Removing all things Norton from a System is one task I've never been able to master and that, despite several attempts on several different systems. Don't get me wrong, I can get rid of "most ", its the "all" that has proven elusive. And for those who want to try it, RegSeeker is certainly a must have pre-requisite.

;)

9. 2005/01/31

BillyBob Inactive

Rockster2U

Ever run into a system where someone has installed Norton/Symantec products more than once without even ATEMPTING an uninstall first ?

You want to discuss a MESS to clean up ?

If that has been done it is a very good possibility of Johanna #6 being the best choice.

BillyBob

10. 2005/01/31
    Johanna

Symantec products spider very deeply into the OS, and it takes tweezers and and a magnifying glass to even uninstall under ordinary circumstances. I did a search for "manual removal" on the Symantec site and got :
    Symantec has TOOLS to remove their software when add/remove fails, for just about every product they make. Hmmmm....

Only someone with determination, tenacity and an unusual amount of computer skill and free time is going to completely remove any Symantec product without wiping the drive. Then I would like to run the result past Christer or Noahdfear, and I'd put money that they would still find something "Symantec" that was missed. :eek: :D

Rockster is right- you may be able to get most, but you'll never get all.

Christer's method of Ghosting w/ and w/o Norton is an excellent way to do diagnostics, btw. He has solved many a Norton mystery on this BBS with the patience and skill of a brain surgeon. Me, I'm lazy. I'll reformat the drive before I'll mess with Norton. I've been very "lucky" with it (I don't break my rules!) on my own computer, but I've worked on a few that people really messed up when they started messing with Norton. The frustrating (ironic?) thing is that Norton wasn't the original problem, but their attention focused there, first.

Johanna
    Hey, James- next time, go with an AMD! :)

11. 2005/01/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Agreed. I am also a Ghost user and I install EVERYTHING else before installing Norton AV, for 2 obvious reasons:
    1. I can always roll back to before NAV was installed and install newer permenant members of my program groups.
    2. When the subscription expires I can rollback and reinstall NAV and get another year of subscriptions.

I am still using NAV 2003 and it works just fine for what I need an AV program for. I have every Norton & symantec service and process set to either disabled or manual and NONE of it loads at boot.

ALL NAV systems that use default NAV settings will suffer performance hits. There is no way to avoid that except to manually prevent certain if not all of NAV processes & services from loading at boot.

My system is a P4 3.06 GHz w/ 512MB RAM and there's a noticable difference if NAV background stuff is running.

Nowadays, if I need to use the AV, I just rt clk & scan.

12. 2005/02/01
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Three's a Crowd - Norton is the last thing I install too. Have been doing it that way for quite some time and have been a pretty long term user. Thanks to Christer's posts some time ago, I also switched to doing my first Images before Norton goes onto a system and am most appreciative of that little tidbit from the "Weatherman ". Once installed, me three - everything Norton gets disabled (except some AV).

;)

13. 2005/02/01
    Christer

I too have all features of Norton System Works disabled and some of the features of Norton Internet Security disabled. I do, however, have AntiVirus, FireWall and AdBlocking running from boot time. I always check my mail immediately and visit a site or two (no prize for guessing which one gets my attention first ...... :p ...... ).

If I had a computer that rarely was sent online, then I would adopt TonyT's modus operandi but since I'm on broadband and always connected, it really isn't an option.

Christer

14. 2005/02/01
    James

James Inactive

Yeah... I'm guilty of gross understatement. I have two computers: a Pentium IV which has a 4.2 GHz (not MHz) CPU and an AMD 3200+ (2.20 GHz). Like I said, it's not a screamer but it's fast enough for me, given the small amount of time I spend online and the limited number of things I actually do with the computer.

And I sort of want to apologize, Johanna. I didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all. Heaven knows just how little I do know. It's only been the past year that I've pulled away from Symantec and I've no call to question the wisdom of those who remain Symantec fans. All things being equal, I might find myself a year from now installing their latest offering. :rolleyes:

15. 2005/02/01
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Didn't realize Intel made a 4.2GHz P4 - Where does one buy something like that?

Answer: One can't - at least not from Intel.
    They don't make any such processor.

:rolleyes:

edit: must look good paired up with one of those 106" LCD Desktop Monitors :cool:

Last edited: 2005/02/01
  16. 2005/02/01
    Johanna

James,
    I have been satisfied (and lucky!) with Symantec, and Norton is on a lot of the computers I get the telephone calls for, too. It is easier for me to talk someone through software I'm comfortable with, than something unfamiliar. There are systems and situations I would not recommend Norton first.

A good example is my kids' abused elderly HP. The Norton sub ran out, and eTrust went on. Norton did bog that comp down, and since the kids are on dial up, not cable, eTrust has proved a better choice for that computer. It's lighter, just as efficient and not nearly as resource intensive.

I wrote the above for people who use Norton and aren't going to change, just to help them get the most out of it. I would never make a statement like "Norton is the best!" because it's not for every circumstance. However, if someone is using Norton, perhaps they will tear out less hair knowing some of the "tricks" of using it.

Cheers from Ohio! :)
    Johanna

17. 2005/02/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I too have broadband, behind a linksys router.
    I use email daily as well as www.
    I don't have the need for any Norton AV loading at boot, I manually scan attachments & downloads as necessary. Plus I use Courier fir my email client, which is immune to the email address book type worms. And I have the attachments filtered in the client itself, so there's no way that I can get a virus via email. Yes, it's a brave bold statement, but it is tested & true. I used to do suport email for a software co. & regularly received at least 10-20 viruses/day via email.

18. 2005/02/01
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

TonyT-
    Interesting concept. Similar in Broadband with Linksys Router but too cautious to run without some Norton AV features enabled. I use OE behind Mailwasher and "knock on wood" have dodged most bullets thrown my way, but don't feel emboldened enough to rely on manual scanning. Will have to do some reading on your Courier client - again, interesting. Thanks.

;)

19. 2005/02/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well, the bottom line is that you cannot get a virus infection unless you open (execute) the virus program. A virus pgm gets executed by clicking it's icon or via a malicious website using scripting or activeX, or similar.

Some worms can execute in the mail client's preview pane IF the mail client is setup to by default display messages in html format. My mail client is setup to display all messages as plain txt and if I decide I want to see the html format, I can turn it on using Courier's Toggle HTML button.

I haven't used automatic AV protection for over 6 yrs now and have never been infected. But I have developed safe habits and good judgement. I "know" which of my friends that send me email are the most prone to having viruses and I scan all attachments that could contain a virus.

My isp, COX, now scans incoming and outgoing messages on their mail servers too, so the amount of malicious incoming mail has dropped considerably.

Read about Courier Email Security and other features

Last edited: 2005/02/02
  20. 2005/02/02
    Christer

I don't have a router ...... :eek: ...... I'm plugged in directly to the NIC.

A friend of mine has a DI-514 and runs Norton Internet Security behind it. The Norton Firewall intercepts malicious traffic every now and then which, as I understand it, shouldn't be possible. The FW has detected intrusion attempts and trojans, all of which have been stopped "at the gate ".

I have not (yet) learnt how to manage that router but it shouldn't need updating ...... :confused: ...... right?

If wrong ...... :( ...... he has missed something in the user guide.

Christer

21. 2005/02/02
    James

James Inactive

It's a Medion (a German make). I bought it a year and a half ago at Costco of all places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.