1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Confused about AV and security suites

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by James, 2004/10/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/26
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

For the past six years I've mainly used Norton's AV (the past three using their Internet Security). Both my wife and I have noticed our computers to be a bit sluggish (even after checking for adware with Spybot and Ad-aware), particularly in booting and shutdown. So, I figured it was time for a change. I checked the VBS bulletins and noticed AVG was not receiving raving reviews (far more failing grades than passing). After narrowing the search down, here are my final choices. I'd appreciate input:

1. ZA (free) with CA EZ trust AV
    2. Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2004
    3. ZA pro with CA EZ trust AV
    4. AVG Pro with ZA free

I'm tempted to try Trend Micro after reading its testing by PC World.

2. 2004/10/26
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James--You can get just about any answer you want by reading enough reviews. For example the most recent PCWorld comment on NAV is http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,00.asp
    And PC Magazine's recent comparative review declared
    http://www.pcmag.com/products/?quer...62&sid=1473&gridtitle=Search+Results&x=41&y=6
    I understand you have seen this reference and its links
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
    On the other hand PCWorld's review of several different programs came up with
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,00.asp
    It is pretty hard to beat Zone Alarm (free) as a firewall. I do not think the additional features of the ZASuite are as well regarded.
    So you really can make your choice on antivirus alone.
    You have not told us what Windows version you are using or how much space you have on the hard drive. Perhaps that is why your PC's are slowing down. But another consideration is do you clean out your cache regularly, run ScanDisk or CheckDisk and eliminate programs from starting at boot if you really do not need them?
    However, if space is truly limited, then you may want to consider an AV program which has only a small footprint.
    And I guess you know that you can get one year's worth of EZ Trust for free
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

EDIT--Just saw this thread
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=36702

Last edited: 2004/10/26

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/26
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Jim

My system:

WinXP Home Ed
    CPU: 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Hard drive: 120 GB (I've used about 16 GB)
    I regularly delete my cache, run Ad-aware, Spybot, SpyGuard, SpyBlaster
    I defrag about once every other month
    Default browser: Netscape 7.2 (use Firefox as well)

That's about it, really.

I decided to download and try the PC Cillin Security Suite containing AV and Firewall because of the reviews. The MS site told me I could get 90 days free trial or purchase it at half price for $24.95.

I've always used ZA as my firewall (three years now). I've had Pro (didn't particularly care for it) and the free version. And you're right... the free version is hard to beat. But the AV carried by the new ZA suite apparently has questionable reviews and AVG has very mixed reviews so I decided.. what the hey. Why not give PC Cillin a run?!

Have you any experience with this firewall and/or antivirus program? As far as speed is concerned, it seemed to scan my entire drive in about the same time as either Norton (2004) or AVG (beta 7). The firewall, according to Shields Up has rendered me invisible. What more could I want? I'm not sure but I'm willing to listen. Geeze... I'm willing to buy the Norton Int. Sec. 2005 IF it will provide better security.

5. 2004/10/26
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James--You have seen the high rating that PCWorld gave PC Cillin so it cannot be that bad!! :)
    However, I have not done extensive searching to see if it comes in a version that offers AV only, which is all you need if you have ZoneAlarm.
    If you look at the following page you will see that you can save some money by
    1) Using the discount for having another AV on your PC.
    2) Just using HouseCall for on line scanning.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (I personally would not do this)
    If you get TrendMicro's suite you should not run two firewalls. So disable either TrendMicro's or Zone Alarm. (And if you have XP's SP2 you have another firewall running by default.)
    If you have read the various references I suggested, I think you have enough info to make a decision. As you can see from my signature, I run Norton AV.
    As long as your choice is not rated badly, I think it really is a matter of taste.

6. 2004/10/29
    Kathi

Kathi Inactive

Please bare with me this is my first time on this site and I read all the antiviruses that all mentioned after reading (sorry its been 2yrs so don't know which rating in which mag) ;) everyone who rated this one was so impressive that I downloaded it two yrs ago and have never had a problem since.
    Its free and also comes with a cleaner. It seem to me that it goes much deeper then any I have ever used.
    Its called Avast and the way to get it free is to download home version or if you decide you would like it for the job or better read then it cost.

I liked the quote from Avast. "We would rather have the home user have this for free so to help stop all the viruses."
    I have to check on a firewall someone mentioned to me and so it also has free support. Its based out of I believe the UK, who knows maybe there a bit more ahead of us over here. :)
    I had it paying so much money when this was free and after just uninstalling Norton, I downloaded avast and it found 2 viruses from the through scan that they ask you to please do once a week. Its also sends you and installs the updates about every other day. It comes with a cleaner as well and I sometimes just use that and it too found several and I send them to the chest where there in isolation and then can come back to it later with no worries.
    Since 99 and trying so many, and also the spy ware sites.
    I finally found this and even tho Im stuck in on a couch for 2yrs now it gives me hope in life that I too can find a Doctor as well. ;)
    Thanks everyone and hope this helps.
    Kathi

7. 2004/10/29
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

eTrust gets my vote. ;)

8. 2004/10/29
    johnsdp

johnsdp Well-Known Member

e-trust trouble

Dave after disabling my active X controls so I don't get hijacked again per instructions, e-trust said that it failed to load cause active x is off.
    I too have been using AVG 6 since you guys helped me retake control of my machine. I like being able to run it off line (still dial up in the cheeseland).
    Do you have an opinion on AVAST?
    Does Lonny have a preference?
    I wish your posting editer had spell chech!
    Dan

9. 2004/10/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Sorry, no opinion on Avast. Set your activex to prompt rather than disable. Try IESpell. ;)

10. 2004/10/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

johnsdp --Yes, some sites require permission to run ActiveX controls before they will permit downloads. So, as noahdfear has suggested, set "Run ActiveX controls and plugins" to Prompt or even Enable just for the download. Then you can set it back to Disable right after. After installing and rebooting, you could empty your cache and/or run a spyware detector (AdAware or SpybotS&D) which should get rid of any malware which might have snuck in. Though I would not expect that from E-Trust.

11. 2004/10/30
    RayH

RayH Inactive

One thing I've noticed about AVG 6 Free. If it misses a virus file laying dormant, it will sound the alarm if the thing gets executed.

I'm using AVG 7 Free Beta right now. But I'll run ocassional backups with MicroTrend, RAV, and Panda. I might stop with MicroTrend. But I might also run a RAV. If RAV comes up with something, I will run Panda. If Panda also comes up with something, then I'll install AVAST and Kaspersky Trial edition.

I tend to misbehave, so having some virus might not surprise me too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.