1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PeteC, 2004/08/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

2. 2004/08/16
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member

All I have to say is I'm not sure SP2 is worth all these potential program problems. Have BBS's upgraders experienced these problems? :confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/16
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

The software vendors are going thru a process of updating their software for SP2 - NAV for example is one.

Have read that SP2 has tightened performance standards and that a great many software vendors got away with sloppy coding. That's what is going to have to change.

It is the MS dog that wags the software tail in this case :)

Regards - Charles

5. 2004/08/16
    PeteC

Worth noting the statement in that MS article .....
    I have the XP firewall turned off and have experienced no problems to date with those programs on the list which are installed on my m/c.

I understand that NAV 2002/3 will be patched for full integration into WSC at the end of the month, NAV 2004 already is, albeit after the event.

Considering how long SP 2 in RC forms have been around there is really no excuse for this.

6. 2004/08/16
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member

If true, I may go for it. I don't plan to use XP's firewall. Thanks for the info. :)

7. 2004/08/16
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Thanks Pete...

Noticed some of them are programs we use here at work. Just passed on the link to the rest of the guys in IT I work with.

Sounds like I'm going to have to do some more testing before rolling out to the users.

Thanks again, :)

8. 2004/08/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Does anybody beside me think it's sorta funny that the largest list of apps that may have problems with SP2 (48 of them) are Microsoft programs?

That being said, I have several of the 'may be affected' apps on XP-pro and they are perfectly happy with SP2.

Newt,
  9. 2004/08/16
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Same here. Note, if you read the whole page you'll see this.
    This must be the case for me. The only glitch I've noticed in any of the programs I have is in ZA. It's not really a problem (as far as I'm concerned) but XP's health center sees that it's installed but can't tell if it's active or not. Big deal. I know it is so..... I suspect there will be an update for this in the near future. There may be already; I haven't checked to see. It's not a worry for me.

As a sidenote, I have found one program that no longer works (but it's not in the list). I use a program called Surfsaver for saving webpages. I just tried using it tonight and received a script error of some sort and the program wouldn't work. I found that I can still save webpages but can't view them with it. Never had the problem before SP2. If that's the worst of my problems I think I can consider myself lucky. :) Guess I'll have to check for an update.

10. 2004/08/17
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

I noticed eTrust and KPF on that list. Anyone here using eTrust and KPF with SP 2? How do they get along?

Last edited: 2004/08/17
  11. 2004/08/17
    PeteC

Shadowhawk

Using Kerio 4 restricted version on desktop and laptop and both appear to be working fine. Windows Security Centre does not acknowledge the presence of Kerio, but also notes that 'Windows does not recognise all firewalls'. I have the XP firewall turned off.

Nav 2004 is recognised fully including update status and a patch for 2002/3 is promised by the end of the month from Symantec.

eTrust - wasn't that the one MS gave out as a year's free trial with the update CD?

12. 2004/08/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

LOL

Regards - Charles

13. 2004/08/17
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I'm using eTrust. Haven't had any problems with it at all. XP's new health center sees it and says it's up to date. Not much else I can say.

14. 2004/08/17

dobhar Inactive

Well, just started the testing at work. Installed SP2 first thing this morning on my work PC and knock on wood (or my head) all programs are working without any problems.

WRQ Reflection X 10.0 => No issues so far
    Symantec Antivirus Corp Ed => No issues so far
    MSOffice 2003 (including Outlook 2003) => No issues so far
    Symantec pcAnywhere 10.5 => No issues so far

THe next step is to test the MS Visual programs... :)

15. 2004/08/17
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Nice to see your work is up to date with software Kent.

Mine still runs W2K SP2-4, Office 2000 and a plethora of other software that is rarely updated.
    But I guess with 5300 desktops, 875 Laptops, 150+ servers, 43 Macs ( :eek: )
    and these are just the IT supported ones, it's big and expensive business updating software.

We may start going to XP SP2 when the next lot of PC's are replaced at the end of their 3 year lease, later this year. That's after the extensive testing period.

So we will be running W2K on many PC for at least another 3+ years!

I'm busy enough with 4 OS's at home. :)

16. 2004/08/18

dobhar Inactive

Hi Paul...

Most of our 500+ users are WinNT 4.0 SP6a which we are slowly migrating over to WinXP SP1 and now SP2 if the testing goes well. The rest are already at WinXP SP1 so they will get updated after testing phase.

43 MACs woohoo :D We used to have 1 but it has gone to puter heaven.

17. 2004/08/18
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

I just saw on this site in Google News that the update will be available on the auto-update thing TODAY! I thought it wasn't going to be out til next month. :eek:

18. 2004/08/18
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

While you always expect problems from a Microsoft update :eek: , maybe most of the problem with SP2 aren't as major as they seem. Most of the problems seem to be related to the new *improved* Windows Firewall (previously known as ICF). The firewall is *on* by default when you install it, and a large number of the reported problems have to do with certain programs not being able to connect to a network or the internet because the required ports are closed. See this article for more info... GO HERE

B :cool:

19. 2004/08/22
    PeteC

Kerio 4.1.0 beta 5

FYI

Kerio 4.1.0 beta 5 is recognised by Windows Security Centre.

20. 2004/08/24
    Codecutter

Codecutter Inactive

What a bummer. Some of the world's most popular programs. Be interesting to know what causes the bugs in Zonealarm & Norton.

21. 2004/08/26
    RickyD2

RickyD2 Inactive

I just d/l'd SP-2 and Windows Firewall did not activate so far as I can tell. It puts an icon in Control Panel than, when I click on it, says not activated.
    I'm running Zone Alarm Pro which, I suppose, is taking control???????anyway, ZA seems to be working normally. Diskeeper tried to defrag during install but errored out but is running a normal defrag now.

Other than a slow re-boot I can't see any problems right now with SP-2. I'll keep ya posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.