1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Nero InCD short lived

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by hawk22, 2004/08/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/08/02
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Has anyone here been using "In CD" from Nero.
    I feel it is a wonderful idea very ideal to back up your files to CD using your CD just like a Floppy or HDD.
    Problem for me is I Format the CD-RW disk and all appears to work ok for half a dozen times moving files back and forth and then the Burner will not recognise the disk anymore making the disk a dud.
    Nero in its help files recommends to after extensive use to erase the CD and then re-format, but I don’t get to that. After just a short time In CD will not mount the CD-RW when inserting.
    Any ideas

Hawk22

2. 2004/08/02
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Hawk,

I've been cycling thru 4 RW discs for 2 years - backups.

I use Roxio - use as Data CD's. Do not use Roxios's version of In CD called Direct CD.

Either its the CD's (what's the brand?) -the software - or the CDROM, big help isn't it? :).

Try creating these CD's as regular data cd's. See what happens.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/08/02
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

Hello hawk22 again,

I've been using Nero's InCD for a number of years, with very few problems. In fact I have it on two seperate Machines and can use the CD's in either machine to update or add Data to it.

Don't forget when you format that CD-RW it no longer is 700MB, in fact it may well be around 500 something. Could it be that the particular medium is full?

I've never had to Erase and then do a reformat. I just manually delete the "Old" info from the CD to free up space, since it's a type of "Floppy ". Also I use both the "Normal" size CD-RW and the "Pocket" size CD-RW, with no problem.

5. 2004/08/02
    Paul

Paul Inactive

InCD has proved a little flakey for me on a few different burners. The latest version (4.2.9.1) is reasonably good. With InCD I've found it's vitally important to run a fairly new version, purly because there have been many "change log" entries for tweaks, fixes and improvements. I think for a long time InCD was "a work in progress ", with the parent burning programmes, Nero 5.5x and now 6.x being far more stable.

Unlike Charles, I found DirectCD 5.x to be more stable and less prone to failures.
    I now use the Roxio burning suite Easy media creator 7.x, which inlcudes the replacement to DirectCD, Roxio Drag 'N Drop. This packet writing is (for me) the best (by far!) out of any I've used.

With packet writing on CDRW's remember to treat these CD's with even more respect that you of course give your CDR's. ;) Small scratches and finger prints can cause problems. I always run at least 2 CDRW's, backing up to both in case one (and it will!) fails. In fact, call me paranoid, but I also back up to another hard drive and, occasionally make a CDR copy of one of my RW's.

My experience, writing and deleting to these RW discs several times a week is that I need to copy all the data to new formatted CDRW's about every year to maintain a fair amount of reliability. I then scratch the old discs (multiple times) with a screwdriver or scissors and dispose of. ;)

Last edited: 2004/08/02
    Paul,
  6. 2004/08/02
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Paul,

I got in the habit of collecting folders/files that I want to burn out into one folder and burning that out as Data cd because of my experience with an earlier version of Direct CD.

After that ringing endorsment, I'll look at this issue again. Certianly would make life easier if I could use a CD like a floppy with confidence.

Regards - Charles

7. 2004/08/02
    RayH

RayH Inactive

I use Direct CD from Roxio. That and the Jewel case maker are the best products from Roxio.

Last edited: 2004/08/03
    RayH,
  8. 2004/08/03
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    looks like mixed feelings out there, and no irdreed I have never managed to get as far as 200 mb. Two of the CD-RW where "Verbatim" regarded here as good quality Media, wouldn't you say so Paul.
    I am using Nero 6..... something.
    When it fails it is always the same way, after having been using it for a few times then out of the blue when inserting the disk InCD will not mount. That is the expression that Nero uses The little green disk with the tick on it will not jump on.
    Reading more good than bad I will persevere a little bit longer and see what happenes before giving it the boot.
    thanks guy's
    hawk22

9. 2004/08/03
    RayH

RayH Inactive

I think the XP Packet reader is a form of Direct CD. Direct CD was always one of the things Roxio was always better.

RayH,
  10. 2004/08/03
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Charles,
    Agreed, a Data CD is less problematic and more "robust and compatible" across more drives than packet writing.
    The ringing endorsment aside, :) there are just to many variables that determine what works for who. Media, hardware (burner and PC) and software compatibility, but yes after several years of experimenting, I've found the new Roxio Drag 'N Drop to be more stable for me. Having said that as I said, I have a couple of mirrored RW's and more... Just in case. :D

hawk22,
    I always though that Verbatum were in the top bunch of media. But it depends on the burner as for what media is best. Might be worth checking if there is a firmware update for your burner? Most of the updates are for media compatibility, although there is usually more of these kind of issues with DVD burners.

Cheers,

Paul,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.