1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Hotmail in Outlook Express stopped working

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by nkruba, 2004/05/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/27
    nkruba

nkruba Inactive Thread Starter

I have been succesfully setting up and using hotmail (for months) in outlook express until a couple of days ago when connection errors started occuring (0x800CCC3D)

I searched the web for the error code and checked the following issues without success:

- Eliminating new mails with possible corrupt header
    - check HTTP Mail Enabled in Registry
    - trying http://oe.hotmail.com/secure/hmdata as alternative connection url for httpmail protocol
    - Disable Access Control for Web Proxy. Instead, use the Winsock Proxy client.
    ( I guessed that they were talking about the LAN settings here )

I then wiped my hotmail acount from outlook express and and set it up again (which worked), but it cannot connect to the server to syncronize the account. Error code:

Proxy Error

æ§â€¹Ã¦Ë† :
    アカウント : Hotmail
    サーãƒー : http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp
    ユーザーå : "mypersonalemailaddress "@hotmail.com
    プ�*トコル : HTTPMail
    ãƒãƒ¼Ã£Æ’ˆ : 0
    セ�*ュリティ (SSL): 0
    コード : 800ccc3d

To use the internet from this machine I have to use a proxy configuration URL. Connecting to Hotmail's webinterface works fine.

Did I forget anything that one could do in this situation? May be I did one of the things wrong mentioned at the top. Any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help.

2. 2004/05/27
    RayH

RayH Inactive

Using OE and Hotmail isn't an exact science. But really, sometimes Hotmail is just down for a bit. Sometimes for a couple of days.

RayH,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/27
    nkruba

I thought that far

thanks for the comment RayH, but hotmail was up not down. As I said, the web interface worked all along. I was able to check my mail. It is only OE that won't do as it used to.

may be somebody can get back to me on the proxy issue. This might help.

5. 2004/05/27
    Newt

Newt Inactive

We need your OS version and how you connect to the internet - dial-up, broadband, etc. Those answers may lead to another question or two.

Newt,
  6. 2004/05/27
    nkruba

Version and the like

Thanks Newt. I am running a Japanese Win XP using OE 6, connected to a LAN via proxy server (using proxy configuration URL or how do you call that?).

7. 2004/05/27
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Excellent. That makes things easier on all of us.

Please do the following and post the contents of the text file you create.

start~run~ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt.

The information will (should) be in English even if the ID names on the lines aren't and the lines are pretty standard so hopefully you won't need to translate any of the Kanji into English.

I freely admit to being a bit language impaired and am only comfortable reading English these days and never was able to read any script other than the Euro style stuff we use.

Newt,
  8. 2004/05/28
    nkruba

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EPSON120555980
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter ãƒ*ーカル エリア接ç¶Å¡:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : pps.sdl.melco.co.jp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-DB-AC-1F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.140.205.14
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.140.205.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.140.205.131
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.140.205.132
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2004Ã¥¹´5月28æ—¥ 9:51:52
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2004Ã¥¹´5月29æ—¥ 9:37:28

Besides I don't really read Kanji either...

9. 2004/05/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Thanks for that.

Now I gotta do some research and hopefully get back to you soon (maybe tomorrow) with a fix.

Newt,
  10. 2004/06/01
    nkruba

anything?

Well I am still very curious as the problem persists. Any ideas? Is a reinstall of OE an option? Can this be done? If yes, how?

11. 2004/06/01
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Sorry for the delay. Forgot about the Memorial Day long weekend.

OE will use the same proxy settings as IE. No easy way around that.

I'd try toggling the setting shown in the picture below. If no luck post back. Since my last response to this thread I've had to reload XP at home and only set it up for Outlook but tomorrow I can load OE and play around a little. Also not able to make a google search work from this PC (work firewall probably acting up again) but can search more from home.

12. 2004/06/02
    nkruba

where are we here?

Hi Newt. I am lost with your last comment.

you said: "OE will use the same proxy settings as IE "
    I agree.

but then the picture you show me concerns pop mail accounts! this has nothing to do with proxy settings, neither has it to do with hotmails integration in OE. I am puzzled. is that the picture you wanted to show me?

I just want to call again to your attention error 800ccc3d. What is its meaning? do you know?

good luck with your latest install.

13. 2004/06/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

The comment and the picture aren't really related. I wanted you to toggle the SSL (secure socket layer) feature on and off by putting in a check mark where the arrow points, saving that, restarting OE, removing the check mark and restarting yet again.

For reasons I don't really understand, that can sometimes seem to free up a stuck setting.

I wanted to try toggling SSL on and then back off because of
    Code:
    セ�*ュリティ (SSL): 0
    from your initial post.

But after some thought (finally) I wonder if the problem wasn't shown in another part of that error.

Protocol: HTTPMail
    Port: 0
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Code: 800ccc3d

Try changing the port from zero to 110.

14. 2004/06/06
    nkruba

have you ever... ?

hi Newt

I see what you are trying to do, but this sounds like changing settings of a pop account (well that is what you want to do) but the httpmail of hotmail is a separate protocol. you get all in the box, there is no port to be changed or ssl to be chosen. try setting up a hotmail account in OE yourself, you will see how it works (jugding from your text, you don't use hotmail in OE...)

regards Adrian

15. 2004/06/06
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I've done some searching in the Google groups on this and from what I've read it seems to be the gereral consensus that you can't access Hotmail using OE through a proxy server. Whether or not this is true I can't really say but I see an awful lot of it. Have you tried adding Hotmail to the exceptions in IE's connection options? If not, have a look at this to find out how.
    "Unable to Poll for New Messages" When You Use Hotmail with Outlook Express

16. 2004/06/07
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You are absolutely right. I don't think I've ever used it.

I will though - on a copy of the OS that is for tinkering only. I have a copy of virtual PC and have just ordered enough memory to allow additional operating systems to run so I can try the things I plan to suggest before actually suggesting them.

This won't be the first time I've posted an idea without trying it myself and as a result, posted nonsense. With virtual PC and and it running the operating systems and apps I don't personally use, I should be able to do a little better for folks.

17. 2004/06/07
    nkruba

18. 2004/06/07
    nkruba

to Zander

hi Zander: thanks for your post. Your links seems to be the only logical answer to my problem. Well then it will remain a problem as I don't have the might to configure the proxy myself :(

19. 2004/06/09
    dave_bkk

dave_bkk Inactive

Exactly same problem with OE and Hotmail

To nkruba: Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I have accessed two Hotmail accounts through OE with different versions of Windows for several years, currently with XP Pro. Three weeks ago it failed with the same error.

I deleted all the .dbx files and set up the accounts again but then I got the same error when attempting to d/l the folders from Hotmail server. All the settings in OE are as they were before with the usual ports 25 and 110.

To Zander: I have dialup and am not using a proxy server, and the 'Automatically detect settings' and the 'Use automatic configuration script' check boxes are unchecked.

I presume my ISP may have changed their proxy server to one that does not support the extensions. No point trying to get any answer from customer service.

"Your local area network (LAN) or Internet service provider (ISP) proxy server or firewall does not recognize Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) extensions. "

Have I missed something?

Dave.

20. 2004/06/15
    nkruba

good to know

to dave_bkk:

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who experiences this problem. Too me it also seems to be a problem in the network somewhere and not on my machine. I cannot think of anything else than the proxy which fails to do its job. no luck then!

But it would be excellent to find somebody who REALLY knows the cause. I don't want to turn this thread into a rumor mill.

Expert wanted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.