1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

You have updated Firefox, BS I did...

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by scout321x, 2007/02/15.

1. 2007/02/15
    scout321x Contributing Member

scout321x Inactive Thread Starter

FF (1.5.0.9) does it by itself and with the "Automatically check for updates" boxes all off (unchecked). It did just a few minutes ago.

This really burns me as it removes a great many of the web sites in my NoScripts "allowed" list, my "Home page" is changed to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/updated, the "Saved forms" and "Cookies" options are changed, the "Save files to this folder" is changed and the "Automatically check for updates" options are all changed back to checked. And this isn't the first time but it is getting close to the last straw.

What the sam hill is going on?

And I still see so many problems with V2.0.0.1 that I don't want to go there yet so please abstain from suggesting that is the solution. That is unless it is the only solution.

2. 2007/02/15
    James

James Inactive

I'm sure there is a hack for this and I entirely agree with you. Hopefully Ramona will be along shortly to help you kill this auto update thing.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/15
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Doug ...

Enter about:config in the address window. When the configuration window opens, type autoupdate in the Filter window, then make sure that app.update.autoUpdateEnabled is set to false. If it shows as true, just double-click on it to change it to false.

5. 2007/02/16

Thanks, Jim. FYI, autoupdate in the filter doesn't come up with anything. However, I used app.update and up came a whole list of stuff.

app.update.auto is true

but,

app.update.enabled is false

What gives? I had all the boxes under "Auto Check" unchecked. Should I change the app.update.auto?

And to me this is more a circumvention than any fix. Having been a programmer at one time I can understand "an FF update" changing values in FF but why does it remove some "allowed" web site in NoScript too. Not all of them, just what I think are the most recent since the last FF auto update. That should not be happening! And this has been going on ever since I updated from 1.5.0.8 to 1.5.0.9.

And another anoyance is FF 1.5.. being so impatient on a slow dialup:

Server timed out
    Server not found
    The connection was reset
    The connection has timed out
    but that is another thread.

6. 2007/02/16

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Doug,

Apparently, the settings in about:config are different between 1.5.x and 2.0.x. I was using the settings displayed in 2.0.0.1.

FYI, I've never had any difficulties with FF 2.0, other than the fact that, initially, a few extensions didn't work, but all the ones I use have been updated to be compatible with 2.0. I don't use NoScript but, from what I read, you're not the only user who's had trouble with it.

Incidentally, since you use extensions, may I suggest giving MR Tech Local Install a try if you don't already use it. It's an excellent extension manager and, IMHO should be the first extension anyone installs.

I don't envy you your problems with dial-up. I was able to switch to cable about five years ago, and I've never looked back.

7. 2007/02/16
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Jim has converted me, and I am in full agreement with him.
    I never had an experience of autoupdating, with the box unchecked, but I have had a similar problem when I tested a 1.5.0.10 nightly. I had uninstalled 1.5.0.9, and then used its profile for 1.5.0.10. I have cable, and it is no big deal, but 1.5.0.10 updated itself as I was in the middle of a post. I lost the post, and when 1.5.0.10 had restarted the autoupdate box was checked. I unchecked, close 1.5.0.10, and opened 2.0.0.1, which immediately crashed.
    I have had problems testing the latest Firefox3.0, which stole default, every time that they were updated. Of course, working with nightlies anything can happen, but I have been told that this will be the way to go.
    Just another subtle change. I use each Firefox in its own folder, with its own profile. Firefox2.0.01 is my default, but when I click on a link in Thunderbird, it opens what is, obviously, 2.0.0.2RC3. I can tell by the fact toolbars are arranged differently, and my bookmarks are not 2.0.0.1 bookmarks. However Help|About Mozilla Firefox claims that I am using 2.0.0.1.
    Not good.
    What was 1.5.0.9 updating to?

Last edited: 2007/02/16
  8. 2007/02/16

Thanks again, Jim.

Westside,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll start giving 2.0.0.1 a serious look. I didn't have near the:

Server timed out
    Server not found
    The connection was reset
    The connection has timed out

problems until I went to 1.5... My dialup is usually limited to 24K (never more than 26.4K) because of the lousy phone company equipment. Pair gain equipment to be specific and way out here in the VA stick to boot. The Verizon service guys tell me I am lucky to get that with condition of the equipment in this area.

Thanks to all!!

9. 2007/02/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

With the dialup line, you should be happy that you get anything. I remember when I had a line like yours. I got cable seven years ago, and, I also never looked back.
    You may not be able to get any broadband, otherwise the minimum requirements for FF2.0.0.1 are:
    Windows
    Minimum System Requirements

* 233 Mhz processor
    * 64 MB of RAM
    * 50 MB of free disk space
    * Microsoft Windows 98

Mozilla Recommends

* 500 Mhz processor
    * 256 MB of RAM
    * 100 MB of free disk space
    * Microsoft Windows XP

Last edited: 2007/02/17
  10. 2007/02/17

Thanks again!

If only cable or even DSL were available in this area! It is very beautiful here and I really like it but it's isolated. The power company is working on making "broadband over powerline" (BOP) available to us but it has been over two years in the making so far and it will be another 2-3 years before it gets to my area.

My PC is 7 years old but it's 933Mhz with a gig of RAM and gigs of free disk space on two drives. So no problem there. In fact I just fininshed downloading 2.0.0.1 but haven't installed it yet. It took 45 minutes to download. :rolleyes:

And I am going to look at Mr Tech Local today also.

11. 2007/02/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Your system is fine, but be careful what you have in your program. Work with a minimum, or no Tabs, and no extention. See if it makes a difference to use a stripped down browser. Empty Cache. Also, compare it with IE.

12. 2007/02/17

Good advice. I am an old (very old and retired) programmer so I will try to introduce as few new variables at a time as possible. Thanks again!

13. 2007/02/17

JSS3rd Geek Member

Doug ...

I don't necessarily agree with Westside about the use of either tabs or extensions. I don't use a homepage, opening FF with a blank tab, instead, simply because I never know what I'm going to want to look at first.

I'm presently using 25 extensions and, while I will admit that they slow down the opening of the browser, the number seems to have no effect on the browser once it's open.

With cable, I don't need or use a cache, but you may find it helpful with dial-up. In Tools > Options > Privacy (Private Data), you can set it to be cleared each time FF closes.

Personally, for me there's no comparison between FF 2.0.0.1 and IE 7, which I find even klutzier than earlier versions of IE. On my system (XP Pro, 2GHz Athlon XP, 1GB RAM, two 200GB HDDs) it loads pages much more slowly than FF. I've found a better alternative, for those pages which must be viewed with IE, is to use one of the many IE shells. I use Maxthon 2.0beta.

Finally, if you haven't used MR Tech Local Install before, you're going to find the interface intimidating, if not bewildering. The only settings I think are necessary for the average user are:
    under General:
    on the Install Paths tab, enter the Default Install Path, if you download and archive your extensions, as I do. Do the same for themes, if you use them.​

under Manager Hacks:
    on the Behavior tab, check "Sort Extensions (Themes) Alphabetically ", if you find this desirable.

on the Window Options tab, check both options under "Show Items: ".​

under Miscellaneous:
    check "Disable XPI install time delay" and "Allow web sites to install software ". On the Allowed sites I have only addons.mozilla.org and update.mozilla.org.​

With apologies to Mel Reyes, who wrote the extension, I think that, for most users, the rest of the settings just provide window dressing. :)

14. 2007/02/17

Thanks, Jim!

I have it installed now. I started with no add ons and I am up to 4 at the moment. I don't use but a few more and it appears one or two of those wont be need with V2.

I am still getting the impatient list though:

Server timed out
    Server not found
    The connection was reset
    The connection has timed out.

And I have increased network.http.keep-alive.timeout to 900 and it helps but it still isn't as good as when I was using 1.0.8. I guess I have to live with life in the "slow lane ".

Mr Tech Local is next. Thanks very much for your help! Guess I'll change my signature now. :D

15. 2007/02/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

You may be a candidate for a new profile.
    I was suggesting that you start easy, because of the problems you are having.
    In principle, I agree with Jim, if all is well. But it is not going well with you, and I don't see how Mr Tech Local Install will help.

16. 2007/02/17

Well, it has happened again. This time with 2.0.0.1. I do need to correct something though. The home page gets changed to http://en-US.start.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official not the URL I posted above. The one above is where the browser ends up right after the "so called" update. In fact it is why I have been saying there was an update.

Same symptoms as before: a great many of the web sites in my NoScripts "allowed" list are removed, my "Home page" is changed, the "Save forms" and "Cookies" options are changed, the "Save files to this folder" is changed and the "Automatically check for updates" options are all changed back to checked.

Now I made sure all my scanning software was up to date and I scanned the heck out of the system but no problems found. Here is the list:

AVG Pro
    Windows Defender
    TrojanHunter
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot.

The FF add-ons I have running are :

NoScripts
    Adblock Plus
    Fasterfox
    Flashgot

I also have Adblock Filterset.G Updater installed but it is disabled at the moment. It has been for a while as I first though it was the culprit.

I am open to suggestions.

Last edited: 2007/02/17
  17. 2007/02/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I am not any of the Add-0ns which you use, although I had used Fasterfox for a while, but removed it, since it was not doing anything. As a rule of thumb, addons are the problem. They are compiled by people outside the Mozilla Corp., and I would remove all of them, or start in Safe Mode, and remove them, and add one at a time. I am using 10 addons with no problem at all.
    I appears that you have not tried to use Mr Tech Local Install, so I have no further suggestions.

18. 2007/02/18

JSS3rd Geek Member

Doug ...

Are you sure your home page has changed? FF 2.0.x automatically opens to the "Firefox has been Updated" page the first time it's run after an update, but you need to check the Home Page setting at Tools > Options > Main > Startup.

Are you trying to use the same profile with 2.0.0.1 that you used with 1.5.x? Since you're experiencing problems, I'd suggest that you start with a clean profile, then make whatever adjustments you consider necessary.

These are the extensions I'm currently using:
    Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.5
    Adblock Plus 0.7.2.4
    Bookmark Backup 0.4.2
    Cooliris Previews 2.2
    Copy Link Name 1.2.4
    Copy Plain Text 0.3.3
    Fasterfox 2.0.0
    Findbar Basics 1.3.07
    FireFTP 0.94.6
    FlashGot 0.5.97.03
    Forecastfox 0.9.3.1
    Go to WindizUpdate 0.59
    IE Tab 1.3.1.20070126
    Image Toolbar 0.6.4
    Image Zoom 0.2.7
    McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.1
    MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.8.3
    Menu Editor 1.2.3
    MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3
    PrefBar 3.3.4
    Print It! 0.3.8
    Stylish 0.4
    Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2.070127
    Tiny Menu 1.4.2
    Unhide Passwords 1.1.3.1​
    No problems with any of them. I've never used NoScript, and don't feel any need to. I also use the Opaque 1.4 theme.

19. 2007/02/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

It is possible to close the "update" notice, and it should not reoccur after restarting Firefox.
    I agree with Jim that since the problem carries over, and, most likely there is some Profile issue, a new profile is in order.

20. 2007/02/18

Hey guys,

Thanks again for your help.

In the mean time I uninstalled all the add-ons, closed FF, restarted FF and re-installed just Adblock Plus, NoScripts and FlashGot. Nothing else. I use NoScripts to prevent most web site from running scripts until I find out what they are about. Even then I am likely to give them just temp authority to start with.

I have already had all the extra bugs in my PC that I care to have when I was running Win98SE. And Norton was a real liability and McAfee (for one year) is not a class outfit. They don't understand KISS and they bait and switch! Enter AVG Pro. So far so good!

Jim, yes, I had set 2.0.0.1 (Tools>Options>Main>Startup>When Firefox Starts:) to "Show a blank page" right after I installed it. I just wish FF would leave it as the first item in the push-down-stack. However, once you go to a real web site the blank page is gone.

Yes, I am using the same old profile I have had since I started using FF at v1.0.7. I just started reading about creating a new profile but I have had a problem bring up the Profile Manager. It is avoiding me at the moment. I still have a lot to learn about profiles so this might take some time.

So far no new "updates" but don't say that too loud because Murphy is always listening!

Last edited: 2007/02/18
  21. 2007/02/18

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Doug,

I know all about Mr. Murphy! :rolleyes:

Bringing up the Profile Manager is easy. If you don't already have a shortcut icon for it (I assume you don't), open Start > Run, and type in <path to> firefox.exe -p. The Profile Manager should open immediately.