1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[XP SP3 will not shut down or restart]

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lord of wow, 2008/07/06.

1. 2008/07/06
    lord of wow

lord of wow Inactive Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows Xp pro with sp3 onto my pc using an sata 2 hard drive works great except I can't shut down or restart my pc1 please help?

2. 2008/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/07/06
    lord of wow

A similar problem here ....

no I don't even get the saving settings screen or logging off I have to either press my reset button or hold down my power button

5. 2008/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

So you do not have InCD loaded .....

How does the computer behave in Safe Mode? It may be a third party driver problem.

6. 2008/07/06
    lord of wow

safe mode works

when I restart from safe mode it acts perfectly, saves settings and shuts down fine. by the way I'm working on a pc I just built. using an ECS Elitegruop NF50iSLIT-a mother board, an intel pentium duo core2 2.0 GHz processor and a seagate ST380815AS hard drive.

7. 2008/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If it works as it should in Safe Mode then the likelyhood is that a third-party Service or Device Driver refuses to shut down when called upon to do so. These drivers are not loaded in Safe Mode.

I suggest you use msconfig to disable all startup items and test in normal mode. If the computer then shuts down/restarts normally re-enable each startup entry in turn until the culprit is found.

8. 2008/07/06
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

99.9 time out of a hundred this is the Video driver! Some proof is that it shuts down normally in safe mode which uses a generic VGA video driver.

Update the motherboad drivers for "ECS Elitegruop NF50iSLIT-a mother board "!

Might be best to boot to safe mode remove/uninstall the Video card and then back to normal and update Video card to newest driver.

Mike

9. 2008/07/06
    lord of wow

thanks for the hints guys

OOPS!!!!!!!!!! I should have paid attention to my task bar. I would have realized that for some reason my IOLO Fire Wall was not shutting down with windows. PC works fine as long as I shut down that fire wall maually then restart. lol:)

10. 2008/07/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

One I had not heard of before :) From a Google I see it is a pay firewall so you should get some support on this problem.

If you want one of the best - freeware - look at Comodo. No issues on my SP3 laptop.

Thanks for the update - glad to hear you found the culprit.