1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved xp can't check for license

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ataxia162, 2010/01/11.

1. 2010/01/11
    ataxia162

ataxia162 Inactive Thread Starter

A friend brought his Dell computer over. Has windows xp pro sp3 installed. Won't boot, says "a problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer error code: 0x80040017" can only boot to safe mode (still says it isn't genuine windows)
    I ran chkdsk /r it found and fixed problems. No change booting. Am running defrag in safe mode now, taking a long time.
    Have tried most of the other stuff I found doing a google search other than a reinstall. Tried system restore in safe mode first but when I rebooted it said it couldn't do it.
    Any other ideas?

TIA

2. 2010/01/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/01/11
    ataxia162

Thanks for the response Arie, Don't think it's any of those things at this point. After running chkdsk and fixing errors I booted back to safe mode and ran defrag (was pretty fragmented) then I ran chkdsk again and it found and fixed more errors. Rebooted and it loaded windows so I thought I may be getting there but it had a problem with a program and went to a blue screen. I left it for the night as it was late.
    Today when I tried to boot to safe mode it hung up. Restarted and it went to checkdsk again so I'm letting it run but I'm thinking my next step is a windows repair from cd but I have the thought that the hard drive may be going bad.

5. 2010/01/11
    ataxia162

OK, Looks like it was some bad spots on the drive. After running chkdsk a 4th time and rebooting in safe mode again I was able to do a restore to a previous date. Some of the bad spots were in the restore folder and it's possible that the previous two restore attempts didn't work because the restore file was corrupt. I am scanning for malware etc now and will clean up anything I find but as far as I can tell the problem is resolved. There is still the chance of a hard drive going bad.