1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista x86 or x64 ? et al.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by linbetwin, 2006/06/08.

1. 2006/06/08
    linbetwin

linbetwin Inactive Thread Starter

Hello !

I have an ATHLON64 3000+ and I am downloading both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of Beta 2. Will I have any compatibility/driver/stability problems with the x64 version ? Is it worth preferring it over the 32-bit version ?

Is a 17 GB partition enough for a Vista installation ? Will my XP partitions be affected ? (I'm thinking about System Restore files)

In how many days will the Public Beta version expire ? Will it restore my MBR after uninstalling, or do I have to "fixmbr" ? (Or install Ubuntu over Vista... ;))

Thanks for your answers !
    Happy beta-testing, everyone !

2. 2006/06/08
    Whitestar

Whitestar Inactive

The public beta of vista hasn't been released yet.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/08
    linbetwin

5. 2006/06/08
    Whitestar

Whitestar Inactive

Excellent. Didn't realise coz i havn't recieved the beta newsletter yet. Cheers for that.

In answer to your question. I doubt there is a time limit, much the same as the office beta. I think once the final release is available you'll be encouraged to stop using the beta.

6. 2006/06/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

IMO - stick with 32 bit - 64 bit drivers are scarce for XP x64, likely to be the same for Vista 64 bit too. In fact there is a lack of 32 bit Vista drivers too, e,g. my modem :)
    Plenty
    No, but I tried to install a dual boot XP/Vista Beta 2 a couple of weeks ago and for some unknown reason a boot manager was not set up and I could not get back into Vista after a reboot :( I intend to install it on another computer as a standalone which is a lot less risky. Strangely the earlier builds I had happily installed as a dual boot.

7. 2006/06/08
    linbetwin

I read on the MS download page that the beta version will expire on June 7, 2007, one year from when it was made available. And we will also be getting RC1.

Oh, man ! It wasn't enough that I was a Linux distro junkie; now I'm going to be an all-OS junkie !

8. 2006/06/10
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

I didn't get in fast enough (as linbetwin did). :rolleyes: The servers had already melted down. I ordered the DVD kit from Microsoft for $10 usd. They said it would only take 1-2 weeks.

B :cool:

9. 2006/06/10
    linbetwin

Add another week for installing, finding drivers and actually booting the beast. Man, this beast is a glutton! I don't care if it's compiled in debug mode (as some geek wrote somewhere). It needs ~700 MB of RAM to run, with no programs open except for PC-cillin for Vista! If I open IE + WMP, it goes up to 900+ MB of RAM!