1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved WPD FileSystem Volume Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by James Martin, 2013/06/30.

1. 2013/06/30
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

For some reason this issue popped up in the device manager (yellow exclamation mark) , and it appears to be related to a built-in card reader. I cannot find a specific driver on their web site to address this problem, so I don't know what to download. The Microsoft driver update function says that I have the latest driver, and their is no option to roll back the driver.

This is a new Dell i620-3791BK, 64 bit computer. (warranty expired)

By the way, I uninstalled the device in the device manager, rebooted, but the issue still exists.

Last edited: 2013/06/30
  2. 2013/06/30
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I won't be bothered if the computer is working ok.

During last so many years, I have come across the same problem myself but there seems to be no resolution & I always left it alone.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/07/01
    James Martin

I was thinking along those same lines, myself, but it seemed ridiculous for this to be happening to a new Dell computer. For what it's worth, the driver is loading now :rolleyes: and I can use the card reader.

Seriously though, I am thinking about doing a factory system recovery. There are other quirks that have popped up of late - like the desktop freezing up, Accuweather program loading even though the .exe cannot be found in Add Remove Programs, or no where else, etc., etc., etc.

Windows 7 is a strange animal compared to XP. XP was more stable in my opinion.

5. 2013/07/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I think most of the problems that you are having are more to do with the c-r-a-p loaded by Dell than with Win 7.

What you need is PC Decrapifier.

6. 2013/07/01
    James Martin

Thanks.

By the way, am I correct that Dell sometimes does not give an option to restore a computer to its factory settings? I pressed F8 to choose a repair option, and there was no factory restore option after going through the prompts.

7. 2013/07/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

RTFM.

Every manufacturer has different ways of doing the same thing. Some supply you with recovery cd & others have a hidden recovery partition. You have to read through the manual to find out how to go about it.

Before doing anything, ensure that you have a solid backup of the files that you require. Here restore to factory settings mean - delete everything on hard disk & copy the whole thing again.

8. 2013/07/01
    James Martin

It appears that I lost access to my recovery partition after I shrank C drive and created partitions D and E. I must have changed the master boot record or something. I ordered a free set of installation discs from Dell, so I should be OK.

Last edited: 2013/07/01
  9. 2013/07/01
    James Martin

Having a bit more problems today. I rebooted my machine, and a black screen showed up (as it usually does), but this time it stayed up at least a minute or more before the Dell logo appeared. After the desktop appeared, I opened the device manager and I saw a yellow exclamation mark beside a USB device.

I unplugged my 2GB Kingston USB drive, reinstalled it, and the problem went away. I can't remember this drive causing issues on my XP machine before. Does this happen with Windows 7 often? I'll buy another USB drive tomorrow and test it.

So far, I haven't had any more issues with the card reader (knock on wood).

10. 2013/07/02
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

No. Something wrong either with your machine or OS.

11. 2013/07/04
    James Martin

Apparently the card reader is listed in My Computer as removable drive H. It works fine, but when you remove the SD card H drive is still present.

I hate to admit it, but with all of the quirks I've been having I am probably looking at a reinstall of the OS.

12. 2013/07/11
    James Martin

Update...

Here of late, the card reader is no longer listed (permanently) as removable drive H in My Computer. The only way it shows up now is if I install an SD card in the reader slot. I guess Windows update must have repaired something. :)

The OS seems to be running well now with no more quirks,