1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Wordpad for windows 98se

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Glen108, 2010/08/29.

1. 2010/08/29
    Glen108

Glen108 Inactive Thread Starter

I'm having problems trying to open Wordpad on my system even though
    wordpad is an installed program on my computer.
    I keep getting the dreaded message:YOU HAVE PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION, AND THE COMPUTER WILL CLOSE DOWN.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone in regards to solving
    this problem.
    Thanks,
    Glen 108

2. 2010/08/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Glen 108, Have you been into Add/Remove Windows components?
    Do you have your OS CD? > Accessories > see if Wordpad is Ticked in box. Try uncheck > close out and Restart > go back and check Wordpad box > close out and see if it works. You may be asked for the CD so be prepared. Let's know how you go. Neil

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/08/30
    Glen108

Neil:
    I went to see what accessories were installed, and wordpad was not listed as one of the items. When I bought my pc at Best Buy, they installed windows, but never gave me the CD. Is there another way to get into accessories without the CD?
    Do I have to reinstall windows 98 again? I would hate to do that, and loose everything I have on it now.
    Thanks for getting back to me, hope to hear from you again.
    Glen

5. 2010/08/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2010/08/30
    Glen108

Thanks Pete,
    I will try the Google website and see what I can find, and get back to you with the results.
    Thanks again,
    Glen

7. 2010/08/31
    retiredlearner

Hi Glen, sorry I'm late replying but Pete has given you the alternative. If the Windows was installed and no CD provided, then the guy obviously did not install all of Windows98.
    If you can borrow a Windows 98SE CD, you will be able install any missing Software from that. Cheers Neil.

8. 2010/09/01
    Glen108

Neil,
    I went to windndows set up and opened accessories, and wordpad was checked.
    It is in my programs and I can bring it up.
    However when it comes to opening a document, it comes up, but I still get the message:
    You have performed an illegal entry and the computer will close.
    I have no idea where to go from here.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Glen

9. 2010/09/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try unchecking Wordpad and close out - reboot and go back in and recheck - any change in behaviour?

10. 2010/09/01
    Glen108

Pete
    I think I have already done what you just suggested, however I will do it again and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Glen

11. 2010/09/01
    retiredlearner

Glen, I just found this in case you still have your problem:

Error Message: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor. "

Translation: Clicking Details on this error message will show a possible explanation, such as "X caused an invalid page fault in module Y at Z," where X is the name of the program; Y is the name of the module and Z is the address within the memory. After you click OK, the program shuts down.

Solution: Identify when the error message first occurred. Also, determine if you recently made changes to the computer; for example, you installed software or changed the hardware configuration. Clean booting your computer can help you identify the cause of the message. To Clean Boot, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer. When the Starting Windows dialog box is displayed, press the F8 key and choose Step-By-Step Confirmation from the Startup menu.
    • When you are prompted, load the following items (if you are prompted to load any other items, type n):
    - Dblspace driver
    - Himem.sys
    - Ifshlp.sys
    - Dblbuff.sys

• Load the Windows GUI (graphical user interface), and choose to load all Windows drivers.

This might be worth investigating. Cheers Neil.

12. 2010/09/02
    Glen108

Neil,
    I will try what you just suggested, and get back to you.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Ciao, Dick

13. 2010/09/03
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

There is the possibility of a corrupt file in play here. I notice you do not have a Windows CD, but there is the possibility that the setup files are copied onto the hard drive. Check to see if the folder C:\Windows\Options\Cabs exists, if it does see if there are 98 total files in it.
    If they are there, you could run the System File Checker to scan for corrupt files. Go to Start\Run type in SFC and press Enter to start it. If any corrupt files are found, you may need to Browse to that folder when you first replace any files.

14. 2010/09/04
    Glen108

Mark
    Thanks for your reply to my wordpad problem. I will do what you suggested and will get back to you with my results.
    Hopefully what you suggested will solve the problem.
    Thanks again,
    Dick

15. 2010/09/04
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello Glen,

Good point made by retiredlearner,
    It is often not the program but a companion dll or another incompatible application causing a conflict. What is the quoted detailed explanation? Also is it an attempt to open wordpad or an attempt to open a doc in wordpad that is causing the fuss? The reason I ask this is because newer docs, created in recent version word processors, will cause older wordpad to belly up. For this reason I have suggested "open office" further down in this post.

Lastly are you sure this is not viral in nature? If memory serves, it seems to me that wordpad was a target, popular and juicy file for a critter infestation replacement, much like notepad is/was.

Wonder if you have the resources for a freeware office suite such as "open office ": (I know you do not have specs for latest version 3.0 but an older one such as 2.0) Yep! You do! See:

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs.html

http://why.openoffice.org/

older versions can be gotten here:
    http://www.oldapps.com/openoffice.php?old_openoffice=13

Last edited: 2010/09/04
  16. 2010/09/09
    markh14

markh14 Inactive

do this:

Start,settings,control Panel,add remove Programs.
    Click windows setup > then click accessories, then click on the details button.

Click on the "wordpad" box then click OK and OK again

Then click on start, run and type in "Regedit" without the quotes and go to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Applets

Then right click on "wordpad" then click on Delete from the above menu bar

Now Turn your computer off and turn it back on again.

Once your back into Windows go to add remove, windows setup, accessories and then click On details

Finally click on the "wordpad" box then click on the "OK" button again and then again.

Problem should be solved now.

17. 2010/09/09
    Glen108

Mark
    Thanks for all your help, but to no avail. I did what you suggested, however when
    wordpad opened, I still get the same message:Illegal operation.
    If you have anymore suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Glen

18. 2010/09/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Glen,

Once again I must stress that wordpad for win95/win98 is outdated for docs created with recent "word processors ". See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;276337

Back to the top

You may need to upgrade or update to a "word processor ", viewer or what ever your preference is.

---------------------------
    I believe you've already tried the registry fix. registry entries may be corrupt:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q218632

Keeping in mind as Pete points out exporting hkeys involved or backing up registry prior to edits is a precaution that should always be taken. (As I recall win98 does this automatically when so a scanreg /restore can be done) .

-----------------------
    The files them selves may be corrupt:
    corrupted copy of either the MFC42.DLL file or Wordpad.exe but without win98se cd, replacement of these may be difficult. You will have to find good copies of these files and delete or rename to replace what may be bad with good. OR ( here it comes again folks :) ) find a 3rd party replacement or borrow a win98 cd.

Last edited: 2010/09/09
  19. 2010/09/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

markh14

You missed out a step .....

You never delete a registry entry without first exporting it as a backup.

20. 2010/09/09
    Glen108

Ann,I did the Registry fix for wordpad previously, but not for paint.
    I shut down the computer and then I went back to windows set up and checked wordpad. Should I have not shut down the computer and continued what I was doing?
    All this is very confusing to me. I have no idea if any of my friends still keep a windows 98 cd installation disk.
    I certainly do not want to reinstall Windows 98 again as I might loose everything I have on it already.
    What to do next?
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Glen

21. 2010/09/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Glen,

Can I ask why you are so attached and determined to use to win98 wordppad?
    Why not stop fighting this error, rename or delete wordpad and download a more current and compatible replacement.

If you must have it....let me see if I can find out if it is available for a download.