1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Word: Redo and undo]

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by helena tolkki, 2017/05/29.

1. 2017/05/29
    helena tolkki

helena tolkki New Member Thread Starter

Help!

I wanted to search for a sentence I decided to erase hours ago. I pressed "undo" about 50 times to find it. My purpose was to redo it all. Then, I accidentally cut the sentence and lost the possibility to redo more than the last step. Is there a way to get all undone back?

And, it's Word 2013 that I'm talking about. Possibly Windows 10. Or some other version :)

Last edited: 2017/05/29
  2. 2017/05/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There are too many variables, but generally, no. You can't get "all" back. The biggest variable is the program you are using. Word lets you undo up to 20 edit changes as long as you don't exit the document you are in. But as soon as you exit the document (or exit Windows) that information is gone.

Word does have an automatic save (AutoRecover) option to make a backup copy every few minutes. In Word 2007 it defaults to every 10 minutes. Word also has an option to make a backup of the entire file so you can start over from your last save.

Windows 10 has a feature called File History that lets you restore older versions of a file.

But none of those give you unlimited undo. I don't know of a way to do that.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/29
    helena tolkki

Well, the thing is that I managed to undo, but not redo as planned... It seemed like a good idea at the time. But I need to take it as an emotional learning experience. And work at night to get it all done. Redone.

Still, I truly appreciate your help! Thanks!

5. 2017/05/29
    Bill

If you do a lot of edits and frequently need to redo and undo, try to get into the habit of making frequent backup copies. Then at least, you can roll back in increments, instead of having to start over from scratch.

I note also that in Word, you have the option to track edits. This is often used when multiple people edit the same document, but a single user can use it too. See "Track changes in Word".

Bill,
  6. 2017/05/29
    helena tolkki

Thanks. I know that. I just wanted to be "quick" a.k.a. acted out of pure stupidity.

7. 2017/05/29
    Bill

Then you are in an extremely large club. ;)

Bill,