1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Word Perfect Home & Student Office X7 Problem

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Jack57, 2017/05/14.

1. 2017/05/14
    Jack57

Jack57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Purchased the Software from Amazon about six months ago, installed on 3 Windows 10 computers, no problems. Have been using it for all office type tasks, including creating and opening documents with Word Perfect, with no problems until today when I went to open an e-mail attachment and got the following message" Cannot initialize templates. The most likely reason is an invalid template path."
    What the heck! I went to open Word Perfect to see if I could find a workaround but Word Perfect won't open
    and I get the same error message. Uninstalled and reinstalled, still not working. All other parts of the office program open and function normally. Other 2 computers still have functioning Word Perfect with normal operation. Thank for your help, Jack

2. 2017/05/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Does Corel offer Help? Have you tried opening the email on one of your other comps?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/16
    Jack57

Had been in touch with Corel. Didn't hear back until this morning. They wanted me to send them a screenshot of the message that pops up when I try to open Word Perfect or a document with Word Perfect. Did that this morning. Haven't heard back yet. Other 2 computers open the e-mail attachment and all other Word Perfect documents fine.

5. 2017/05/17
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In the good old days with MS Word - the solution was to delete a file called Normal.dot which was the "stock" template..

Did you Google the error and see all of the hits like this one:
    wordperfect 12 error cannot initialize

6. 2017/05/17
    Jack57

Heard from Corel, the suggested fix was to right click the WordPerfect icon and open as Administrator. That opens WordPerfect and I can open saved documents from File, Open, but still get the same error message when attempting to open an attachment or trying to open a document from my files with WordPerfect closed. Additionally I get a pop up each time I open WordPerfect as Administrator asking "Do you want to allow this APP to make changes to this computer" and I have to click Allow in order for it to open. I have searched the problem on forums but all pertain to different versions of windows and older versions of WordPerfect so, what I'm finding is different from what I see.

7. 2017/05/17
    retiredlearner

It's odd that your other comps work OK. There must be an entry that is causing the problem.

8. 2017/05/20
    Jack57

Latest is, Corel had me rename the Corel folder in the registry to CorelOld and rename the Corel folder in application data to Corel_Old. Did it and the problem still persists. At this point I just removed the WordPerfect Office Suite with CCleaner, scanned the registry with CCleaner and cleaned the leftover files. Restarted the computer and went to the registry and the application data. Both renamed folders are still there and in the registry there is also a folder there remaining named Corel. Is it safe to delete these three folders before I try a reinstall of the Office Suite?

9. 2017/05/20
    retiredlearner

Is there anything in them? I would think it's OK to Delete them as a Fresh install of Corel should not require them.

10. 2017/05/22
    Jack57

Removed the folders, reinstalled Wordperfect Office. Same template problem. I also received an e-mail from Corel support asking to log into a support session where they would control the computer to solve the issue. I'll pass, it's in another country and all passwords, financials and personal info would be exposed. I can live with the Administrator log in short term while I look at Apache Office and Lotus Symphony. Symphony has been discontinued but seems like a good temp fix as does Apache Office. Thanks for the help. Jack

11. 2017/05/22
    retiredlearner

Libre Office 5 is another extremely good software. I have this is installed on my W10 64bit Insider comp.