1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved WMP10 Full Screen won't stay

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by jpChris, 2010/11/30.

1. 2010/11/30
    jpChris

jpChris Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all,

This just started recently: I'm watching a video (file extension makes no difference) in Full Screen Mode and, after a minute or so, it'll revert back to regular size. The mouse isn't moved, either.

Any idea as to why it automatically drops out of Full Screen to Regular?

2. 2010/11/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi jpChris. I would recommend that you upgrade to WMP11 and see if the issue gets resolved that way.

If you don't want to install WMP11 then open WMP10 and click Tools< Options< Performance tab. There should be an advanced button on that Tab. In the advanced performance settings uncheck the option that says Enable full screen mode switch. Click ok to apply the option. Restart WMP for the changes to take effect.

Note that this option is present in WMP11 but I don't know if its the same in WMP10 since I don't use that version.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/01
    jpChris

Hi Evan,

There's two places that have "Enable full screen mode switch ": Video Acceleration and DVD Video.

Enable under Vid Acc was unchecked, so, I checked it and the problem seems to be fixed.

Weird: I've never gone to that section nor unchecked anything. Must be The Ghost In The Machine. :)

Anyway, thanks, Evan.

5. 2010/12/01
    Evan Omo

Your Welcome. :)

6. 2010/12/10
    jpChris

OK, checking and unchecking everything I could, still no joy. In full screen mode, after exactly one minute, it drops out of FS to regular size.

Might it be a Windows Media Format Runtime thing?

I went into the registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences) and in the right pane is a REG_SZ set to "0" for "Maximized ".

Anything jump out at anyone? I'm stumped.

Last edited: 2010/12/10
  7. 2010/12/10
    Evan Omo

Thats a very strange issue. Personally I've never experienced that kind of problem happening before.

Would you be willing to upgrade to WMP 11 to test if the issue still exists?

There could be some background program running in your system tray such as antivirus software thats prohibiting WMP10 from going into full screen mode. Try shutting down all background programs that are running and see if you still experience the problem.

8. 2010/12/11
    jpChris

Hi Evan,
    Me either. This all started when I got the Desktop Security bug and all the ensuing brain damage eradicating it and getting the song titles and artist to show again. I finally got it to show the album details after three uninstalls and three reinstalls.

I'm going to try another uninstall and reinstall. I'll post back with the results.

9. 2010/12/11
    Evan Omo

Instead of reinstalling WMP 10 again try installing WMP 11 to rule out that its a WMP 10 problem since you didn't mention installing WMP 11.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then I would probably conclude that some 3rd party program or driver is causing the issue.

10. 2010/12/11
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Change Maximized From (0) to (1). Backup reg first.

lj50,
  11. 2010/12/11
    jpChris

OK, now I'm really having a WTH moment. First I tried to install my saved copy of WMP10 (DL'ed 9-10) and I got the error message: "This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, view the information at the Microsoft web site. "

:confused:

I went to Add\Remove Programs to rollback to a previous version of WMP. Well, no rollback because there's only WMP10. But, it was removed from the list.

Tried again and got the same error. I DL'ed WMP11 and tried to install — same error message.

I tried in SafeMode — error, Direct "run" from MS (instead of saving to Desktop) same error.

Went to Add\Remove Windows Components and Windows Media Player. Unchecked, rebooted, went back, checked and still no Media Player and same error message.

So, what now? I have no media player and can't install 10 or 11.

Update!

After much hair pulling (mine) and searching the Google, I gave up and just pasted the error message into the Search Bar and found the problem as to why I wasn't able to install 10 or 11:

There's a .dll that was missing from my System32 file: wmploc.dll.

It was in my dllcache and on my BreakMe drive, but not on the main one. So, I copy and pasted it into Sys32, clicked the .exe file and TADA(!) — it worked! :D

Plus, it's staying Full Screen again!

However, I'm not going to mark this as Resolved for a little while until I use it a few dozen more times to make sure it "took ".

Last edited: 2010/12/11
  12. 2010/12/11
    Evan Omo

Thats good news to hear. If anything changes let me know but hopefully the issue won't happen again.

13. 2010/12/13
    jpChris

Hi Evan,

It changed. :mad: All day it worked and stayed full screen: However, after I booted up this morning it was back to full screen for one minute then back to regular screen size.

I really don't know what to do at this point. A clean install of WMP didn't solve the problem.

14. 2010/12/13
    Evan Omo

Well then there has to be a program or some hardware device that is interfering with Windows Media Player. I think we can rule out WMP at this point since you already tried a clean install and that didn't work.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it works normally there?

15. 2010/12/14
    jpChris

Narrowing it down

Hi Evan,

I've spent the better part of the day opening and running just about every program I have. And, when I run WMP it stays full screen.

However, I clicked on a link in my e-mail for youtube, watched it, closed out of SeaMonkey and — WMP only stayed full screen for exactly one minute before it snapped to regular size.

I rebooted and WMP was fine. :confused:

Tomorrow I'm going to use my browsers more extensively and see if I can narrow down something that way.

I'm fairly certain that one of the programs I ran to clean the Desktop Security bug I got may have changed a value somewhere: I still can't get an installation disk to autorun; it'll only open in "Folder View ".

Like I said, I'll try the browsers more extensively tomorrow.

16. 2010/12/15
    Evan Omo

Alrighty then.

17. 2010/12/18
    jpChris

Man 'o man, I have just really harshed my system for the past two days. I've had: Three games open, Five browser windows open, MSWord open, RealPlayer open and playing a song, WMP6 open and playing a .midi file, then I opened WMP10 and played a video — and WMP10 stayed full screen!

Then I closed out of everything, opened a video in WMP10, clicked Full Screen and it stayed full screen.

I rebooted, went to youtube (SeaMonkey) and clicked a 27 second video. Closed out and then opened a video in WMP10 — no joy! "It" snapped back to regular size at exactly 60 seconds.

I rebooted and did the same thing in IE7 — same results.

The only way to make WMP10 behave is to reboot after going to youtube.

So, now I know that youtube is the problem in that something gets reset and the only way to "unset" it is to reboot. And, I know it's not anything on my system that's causing the problem.

So, any ideas as to what's getting munged by youtube that I have to reboot to "fix "? Like I said, the time interval before it snaps back to regular size is exactly 60 seconds.

18. 2010/12/18
    Evan Omo

I don't know if this will help but do you have the latest version of flash player installed?

After visiting youtube have you tried deleting all of your temporary internet files and browsing history and then opening WMP?

19. 2010/12/18
    jpChris

Yes.
    Yes. I use a .bat file for deleting everything in SeaMonkey; I use ATFCleaner all the time; I also use Smart Cleaner and other programs to clear the Cache, Trash, Cookies, Temp and everything else; none of them has made a difference.

I thought there might be something in memory that was hanging on, so I ran a "Run a DLL as an App" (%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks) to clear the memory but it still didn't do any good.

As a side note, when I'm on my "Breakme" drive I don't have the problem.

I'm still stumped.

20. 2010/12/18
    Evan Omo

Well at this point I am out of ideas. I honestly don't know what else you should try. Out of all the computers I have worked with I have never seen a problem like this that you have been trying to resolve. :(

21. 2010/12/19
    jpChris

I'm wondering if it might be a Media Format Runtime or a DRM problem? Do you know where MFR is?

Last edited: 2010/12/19