1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Wireless networking 802.11 A B G or N what is your opinion

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by jacrabbit, 2010/06/06.

1. 2010/06/06
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive Thread Starter

I recently bought 2 new laptops, both Win 7, both have capabilities to run all versions except A? ie: B/G/N
    I also recently bought a B/G/N compatible modem router, the laptops will use the N version, I was using a B/G compatible modem router in this case the laptops use the G version

The thing is I don't find much difference in speed, but at the other end when using skype for video conferencing; the B/G seems to be better over all than the N.

Could this be something to do with my ISP speed?

So I am curious to hear from others as to their experience with the N version

regards Jac

2. 2010/06/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

N mode is great if all clients connected to the N access point are N mode adapters.

The downside to N mode is that if a client (adapter) is not N mode the access point drops down to G or B for ALL connected clients, even if other clients are N mode clients.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/06/16
    jacrabbit

Tony,
    I remember someone saying that if the ISP speed was not up to speed then there was no point using a 108 G card, so stick with your 54? does this apply inregards to the N version? if my download speed is not capable would I not be better off sticking with the G version?

Jac

5. 2010/06/16
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Neither apply. B mode (11 mb/sec) is faster than most ISPs. The transfer rates will be noticed when transferring on your LAN.

6. 2010/06/16
    jacrabbit

Ok, Thanks Mate, makes the mind a bit clearer

Jac