1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

WinMgmt.ext Generating Errors Every 30 Seconds

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by lucidman, 2002/01/31.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/31
    lucidman

lucidman Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,
    I've run into a recent problem that is incredibly annoying! I'll describe the problem and then describe how it happened.

The problem:
    Every 30 seconds I get a box that pops up saying Program Error, WinMgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. If I click OK, it will come back about 20-30 seconds later. If I leave one of those open I will get a second one in 20-30 seconds and so on and so on. If I were to let the computer sit, I would have a screen full of these program errors!

When it happened:
    I think I made an error in judgement. I have used up all 4 available IDE ports from my motherboard (slave and master on primary and secondary). I had a grand idea of getting a PCI IDE Controller card so that I could have 4 more IDE ports. Windows 2000 did not like this at all! I got all sorts of blue screens, Kernal errors, traps, and system halts. I played around with it until I could get the computer to stay up after booting but I ended up with Resource conflicts between the two IDE controller primary and secondary channels. This is when the WinMgmt.exe program errors started. I threw up the white flag and figured that Windows must not allow this kind of IDE configuration so I made the move to back out of it all. This was a big pain too. I had drivers for IDE channels that did not want to go away and were still complaining of resource problems. I used my motherboard's install disc to remove all of the drivers and then reinstall them. This fixed all the resource problems but I am still getting these program errors. Device manager is now completely clean with no exclamation points. I am at a loss. The only sure fix that I can think of is to format the partition and start over. I'd rather not do that if at all possible.

My computer:
    Homemade. MSI MS-6330 motherboard with VIA KT133 chipset, VT8363 system controller, and VT82C686A/686B bridge. 768mb RAM. AMD Athlon 750mhz CPU. The IDE ports are being used for DVD drive, CDr drive, and 4 hard drives (Currently with only 2 are being used after removing the PCI IDE Controller that caused this whole mess).

Questions:
    How do I resolve this WinMgmt.exe thing? Can you have two IDE controllers in Windows2000? If I want more IDE ports do I have to resort to external USB/Firewire enclosures for these internal drives?

Thanks!!
    Mark

2. 2002/02/05
    lucidman

Well.... this has either stumped everyone here (plus a couple other Win2000 forums sites I posted this on) or it has been deemed an unworthy question.

Either way I deleted the partition and reinstalled Windows2000... again. This time resorting to having a dedicated hard drive that I hook up once every couple weeks to back up my system partition. I guess I like to play around with new ideas too much... backups are too essential not to have!

Anyway, thanks for passing by.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/02/10
    lucidman

Just in case someone else runs into this and is searching this forum, here is another solution that I found a little to late.

SYMPTOMS
    When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
    The error message appears approximately every 30 seconds.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder become corrupted. The error message appears repeatedly because Winmgmt.exe polls the files every 30 to 60 seconds.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, delete and then recreate the files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer , and then click Manage .

Under Services and Applications , click Services , and then stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

Delete all of the files that are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.

Restart the computer. The files are recreated when the computer restarts.

5. 2002/02/10
    Kevin Lifetime Subscription

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.