1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

windowsbbs email invisible

Discussion in 'Site Comments & Suggestions' started by qwester, 2011/08/19.

1. 2011/08/19
    qwester

qwester Inactive Thread Starter

For the second month the email for WindowsBBS Forum Newsletter is invisible when I open the email containing it. When I click on reply (which is not allowed) the text of the newsletter appears below the space for the reply. I receive hundreds of emails a week and, over many years, have not seen this before. This is on a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Pro with AOL email. This FYI.
    qwester

2. 2011/08/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi qwester, I've never had any problem like that. Emails open OK every time. Have you checked all your settings in AOL? I,m not familiar with AOL as mine are with YahooXtra. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/08/20
    qwester

Hi retiredlearner,
    Thanks for the fast reply. This is not a problem on my system, it is on the BBS. I probably should have put this thread on the Site Comments and Suggestions Forum but that choice had no current threads so I chose this one. In over 100,000 emails I have received only two that failed to display upon opening but did display when a reply was clicked (but not sent - per your rules). Both of these were WindowsBBS newletters. It is very possible and highly probable that there is a conflict between my AOL email or internet options settings and WindowsBBS. Since the problem occurs only with the BBS and the reply fix, while inconvenient and a kludge, is better for me than changing my very satisfactory email or system settings I'll wait until I get advice that points to that fix. I will be eighty years old next year and have been working on and with computers since the 8088 cpu, Wozniak, Jobs, and the s-100 motherboard were new names in the industry. My post was a well intended heads up for this unexpected anomaly which could result in a very serious break in email communication were the message related to life threatening situations or the like.

It's winter way down under where you are. I'm just north of Chicago and our summer is on the wane, the better part for my preference.

Thanks again,
    qwester

5. 2011/08/20
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

qwester, sorry but it is more likely to be your system, your ISP or AOL settings, I recieve the windows bbs emails via IMAP (on blackberry) and POP3 on my PC and have never encountered a problem.

If it were a wide issue I'm sure Arie (admin) would have recieved numerous queries by now.

6. 2011/08/20
    qwester

wildfire,
    why only windowsbbs emails? why only my system? why does the text appear on reply? AOL denies it is their problem? Such a gross malfunction should be alarming to everyone. I have a solution for my system. I am not seeking people who not have seen this problem. I believe it may be a text color contrast problem, white on white, but I cannot deduce why only your newsletter. There is not a way to control the color of your newsletter on my end. I agree that it must be on my end, logically. Before I start changing things, which I am unopposedly and obstinately reluctant to do, lacking a technical explanation of the cause, I want to correct the problem intellectually, not the symptom. That way we all can learn.

BTW where can I post suggestions and/or criticisms of your posting rules and site layout?
    qwester

Last edited: 2011/08/20
  7. 2011/08/20
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Sorry qwester, I have no further comment regarding your email problem, but as to where to post comments and suggestions you are now in the right place ( ie Site Comments & Suggestions, the board has went through some changes recently which may explain your earlier dillema)

8. 2011/08/20
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Hi qwester,

I'm sorry for your trouble, but unfortunately there's not much I can do to troubleshoot the issue.

There are 808 @aol.com users on the mailing, and so far yours is the only report I've had.

I have run the HTML document I use as template for the newsletter through the W3C validator & fixed some small errors, but I do not believe these would cause the issue you describe.

I know this reply won't help you much, but as I stated above, there's not much troubleshooting I can do.

9. 2011/08/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi qwester, sorry to see there are no easy answers to your problem.
    Thanks for your interest in our Season. We have just endured a really severe cold front which raced up from the Antarctic and for the first time in my living days, we had snow on our doorstep! We're in Wellington which is about halfway up the country.
    So much for Global warming. Let's know if you get a fix for your invisible emails. Cheers Neil.

10. 2011/08/26
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I know this is no help to qwester, but it is a strange coincidence all the same.
    Mind you I have never had a problem with the Newsletter, but both retiredlearner in NZ and I am here in Aus where at one stage last year for a short period not able to open System details, like your emails nothing.
    At the time both Neil and myself posted this but nobody else had the same problem.
    I think it fixed itself after a short while.
    Probably Gremlins.. :D:D

11. 2011/09/04
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Are you using AOL Web Mail via a Web browser or AOl Mail via the AOL software?

Some of my clients use the AOL software, against my better judgement, and they too have problems reading messages sometimes. The fix has been to re-check the mail settings and ensure messages from the domain are allowed to show remote content such as images and remote text.

The other fix is to reinstall AOL software because sometimes a file or two can get corrupted.

AOL software can become quite unstable at times, meaning quirks can show up for no apparent reason. This is because of the way the software is coded and the fact that it contains many hundreds of individual files, many of which can easily become corrupted.

If using AOL software, to verify that the AOL software is the problem area, login to your AOL account via Internet Explorer at:

AOL Mail

and see if the WindowsBBS newsleter displays properly there. If it does, then for certain the problem is with the AOL software.