1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows XP freezes during installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slycer2002, 2009/09/09.

1. 2009/09/09
    slycer2002

slycer2002 Inactive Thread Starter

I am having an issue with my repair installatin of XP Pro. It is almost exactly like this thread, even to the point of being in the same spot in the installation (34 minutes remaining) http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/57024-mouse-keyboard-freeze-when-attempting-upgrade-xp-home-xp-pro.html, except my computer is asking for the file "Intelcci.dll" instead of his ATI file. Unfortunately, unlike the person with that issue, my computer does not have PS/2 sockets. Also, I am not using a wireless keyboard or mouse. Mine are plain, wired USB devices. I am currently at school, and have not had a chance to try the Shift+F10 option, and will try that when I get home tonight. I just wanted to throw this out there for anbody to nibble on and try to help out. Thank you very much in advance.

2. 2009/09/09
    slycer2002

I have read a few things on other forums about this issue. Apparently, it is more wide spread than I had first thought. As much as I work on computers, I'm surprised I haven't come across it before. Some of the things I read mentioned disconnecting whatever the component is that appears to be causing the problem, mostly the LAN line, or even the entire NIC card itself. Some people even advocated taking out ALL hardware except that necessary to run the installation. I hate to say it, but some of the suggestions sounded no more feasible than telling a person to stand on one leg, hold your head just right, spin in a circle three times, etc. But, at this point, I'm up for anything. I just hope I can keep my balance while spinning in a circle three times while standing on only one leg. We'll see what happens.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/09/09
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

I had that happen to me once. Do you have 2 hard drives in that rig? if so disconnect the second one and try again. it worked for me.
    Good Luck
    Sven

SVEN,
  5. 2009/09/10
    slycer2002

No, I don't have two hard drives. But I did fix it last night. Sort of. What I did was run it until it hung up at the 34 minute mark, rebooted it, and when the computer came back up, I removed the installation CD. Now, when the computer asked for the CD, I hit Shift+F10. This brought up the DOS prompt. I then opened the setupapi.log file, and scrolled all the way to the bottom. The very last driver listed was the one causing me problems, something called 'intelcci.dll' This was fine, because I don't use the internal modem. I deleted the .inf file associated with this driver, and then exited out of the dos prompt. I put the installation CD back in, and it went right past the point that was locking up on me.
    Now, everything is installed, and all is great, with one exception. When I log onto my Welcome Page, it says, "This copy of Windows must be activated before you can log on. Do you want to log on now?" This is fine, because this copy of Windows is mine, bought and paid for. When I click "yes ", the computer goes to the background of my desktop, but doesn't do anything else. No taskbar, no icons, nothing but my cursor. It just hangs there. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del, but nothing. I know we've got an internet connection, because my wife's laptop is running off our wireless network which is controlled by my desktop, and she's got internet! I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas out there? Sorry for the long reply, I'm just getting really frustrated at this point!

Last edited: 2009/09/10
  6. 2009/09/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A couple specs of dust on the cd or the cd drive can cause the missing file error messages.

Which version of XP are you installing? You might consider slipstreaming SP2 into your cd with it doesn't already have it.

7. 2009/09/10
    slycer2002

That's kind of funny. Its Windows XP Pro with SP3 slipstreamed into it. That was the only way I could do it, as I had already updated to SP3, but my OEM installation disk was for SP2.