1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Windows Vista Services you can disable!

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Evan Omo, 2009/01/05.

1. 2009/01/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hi. There are many services that startup with Windows Vista but for a home user on a home network many of these services are not needed and they can slow down your system. I have provided a list of Windows Services that you can disable which when disabled have little or no negative impact on your system. Your computer will see a performance increase when uneccessary services have been disabled.

To open the services window click Start< Run and type services.msc and press ok. The services window will open. Highlight the service, right click on it and select properties. Under Startup type set the option to disabled and hit ok.

Note: Depending on your windows version some services might not be listed. Disable ONLY the following services that are listed below.

Certificate Propagation
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    Fax
    Health Key and Certificate Management
    Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service
    Netlogon
    Offline Files
    Parental Controls
    Remote Registry
    Smart Card
    Smart Card Removal Policy
    SNMP Trap
    Terminal Services UserMode Port Redirector
    Windows CardSpace
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
    Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)
    WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service
    WMI Performance Adapter

If you want more information about what each service does then look here, http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm.

Happy Tweaking. :)

Last edited: 2009/01/05
  2. 2009/01/05
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Thanks Evan,

It's also a good site for other services running on XP/2000 for those that don't know.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/01/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I've never been a 'fan' of disabling services by inexperienced users. Sooner or later they run into problems when they try adding new hardware/software.

My advice: leave well alone.

Arie,
  5. 2009/01/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

It depends on the users configuration though. Depending on what the user uses their computer for and what software and hardware is installed most of the services can be disabled safely that I listed above. IMO I haven't noticed any issues with installing hardware/software on users computers including my own system with those services disabled but I guess its all a matter of opinion. ;)