1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Updates [Error number: 0x80072F76]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by N4OYM51, 2005/08/11.

1. 2005/08/11
    N4OYM51

N4OYM51 Inactive Thread Starter

When I go to "Tools ", "Windows Updates ", and the web page opens, instead of being able to find needed updates and download them, I get this message:
    [Error number: 0x80072F76]
    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
    I have tried all the suggestions listed, but no luck. I have automatic updates turned on. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 2005/08/11
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I went Google on "0x80072F76" and it seems that there are a number of possible reasons. Have You made any changes to the firewall or security settings? Have You installed new hardware or software?

Christer

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/11
    N4OYM51

No new hardware and no changes to Firewall.

5. 2005/08/11
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I have one suggestion.

Turn Automatic update OFF.

I have had it kick in at the wrong time and cause problems with Web sites.

I myself have made it a daily ( or almost daily ) habit of;

Starting the machine
    Opening IE
    Go to Tools and Windows Udates.

I have found this way to be a bit more reliable. Because there may be much less stuff running in the background. I learned this a long time ago when a Windows update would not install properly until AFTER I restarted the machine. I mean the FULL MACHINE. Not just Windows.

I have also found that MS own software MIGHT mess thing UP. That being Microsoft AntiSpyware.

In fact over all I have found that the LESS STUFF running on Auto the better the machine behaves.

BillyBob

6. 2005/08/11
    Kanno

Kanno Inactive

Another thing to try is go into tools/internet options and delete cookies, delete temp internet files along with the offline files and clear you history. This worked for me onetime.

7. 2005/08/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello N4OYM51,

On WU's initial page, in the left Panel > Use Administrator Options > main panel:

Update multiple operating systems
    To select from updates issued for all Windows operating systems, including software updates for servers and driver (hardware) updates, search the Windows Update Catalog, click on that. That takes you to the stand alone download site. Search XP SP2 or XP Home/XP Pro.

Can you access that site?

IF not, do you use the HOST file to block sites? If not, the Hosts should look like this:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

If you do, look for any entry with Microsoft in it or Akamai.

To access the Hosts file: \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS double click, it'll open with Notepad.

Regards - Charles

8. 2005/08/11
    N4OYM51

OK. I tried turning off Automatic Updates, but that did not help.

I cleared cookies and temporary internet folder. I have it set up to clear the temporary internet folder each time windows is closed.

I went to Use Administrator Options, Windows Update Catalog, and supposedly downloaded something.

I checked the local host and it was correct (127.0.0.1 localhost).

I used to be able to go to Widows Update page and check for any updates I need, but for some reason I'm getting the error now.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

9. 2005/08/17
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

10. 2005/08/17
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

N4OYM51, are you running a flavor of Zone Alarm by any chance?

I solved this [Error number: 0x80072F76] issue on my machine two days ago by changing settings in Zone Alarm Pro. I went to the Privacy section, Site List tab, and assigned update.microsoft.com green checks all the way across (for Mobile Code, Session Cookies, Persistent Cookies, 3rd Party Cookies, Web Bugs, and Private Header).

I also have update.microsoft.com added to my Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer (since my anti-spyware measures have Internet Explorer pretty well locked down in general).

Maybe that will help.

An alternative workaround may be to disable your 3rd party firewall and have your Windows Firewall running instead during the time you perform the Windows Updates. That worked for me before I discovered the Zone Alarm solution described above.

Last edited: 2005/08/17
  11. 2005/08/17
    N4OYM51

Thank you for your reply. No I do not have Zone Alarm (that I know of). I have never heard of it. My "automatic updates" seem to work fine. But I always liked going to the Windows Update site just to check for myself. I appreciate all the help. I have Norton Anti-Virus program running and the Windows Firewall is on. Thanks again.