1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Update wasted ½ hour of vital working time

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Christer, 2016/09/01.

1. 2016/09/01
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

Running Windows 10 Home, version 1607, on my laptop. In settings, "active hours" are set to 8 AM to 8 PM. Today at 11 AM, I noticed that there was no internet connection. I went working in the "real world" and came back 15 minutes later. The computer was locked and I had to restart on the power button. It took 10-15 minutes to restart, not only once but twice, while installing updates. When it was done, I checked what had happened. KB3176938 had been installed and the windows.old folder (created a few weeks ago while upgrading to version 1607) had been deleted. Quite a lot of "updating and restarting" during hours that I have told it not to interrupt my work.

I don't expect a solution to this "problem" but ... :mad: ... I had to let off some steam. Microsoft has to give back control over "Windows Destroy" to the users!

2. 2016/09/01
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When I updated to the Anniversary Update 1607 I spent two days waiting for it to complete, but it never did. All I get now is a black screen with a circle of spinning dots. Can't even access the OS anymore. So I pulled out that drive and reinstalled my drive with Win 7 Ult. OS. So much for Windows 10 Pro. The drawback is I liked win 10 pro. It's a nice OS.

Last edited: 2016/09/01
    lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I understand your frustration but at the same time, the vast majority of users have had no problems with the update interfering with their work. I have 5 W10 computers here and all updated KB3176938 without locking up the computers. They did require a reboot, but that was automatically scheduled to 3am. On this computer, I had left an open Word document and when I returned yesterday morning and the system completed the install, the Word document opened and my latest edits where there just as I left them.

The problem is security and the blame game. Microsoft had to endure over a decade of blame with XP security, even though it was the bad guys who perpetrated the offenses, and the failure of the antimalware industry to stop them. Yet who did the IT Press, MS bashers, and that same antimalware industry blame? Microsoft.

By far, one of the best defenses against the bad guys is to keep our systems fully updated. And we have seen if users are left in control, Windows will NOT be updated in a timely basis. So Microsoft would much rather get blamed for a tiny minority of users having Windows Update problems (and it really is a tiny few) than getting blamed again for security issues they didn't create. And frankly, I don't blame them.

Your computer did not break, you did not lose any data and now it is fully updated and more secure. Yes, it was bad and inconvenient timing but in reality, no harm was done.

Bill,
  5. 2016/09/01
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

Set connection to Metered Connection in networking and this will allow you to choose when a update is installed.

6. 2016/09/01
    Christer

I was under the impression that during "active hours ", no installations requiring a restart should be performed. It also says that Windows "checks for inactivity" and does it deeds during that time. Again, I thought that was outside "active hours" only but obviously not.

It's possible that Thoshibas settings for the screensaver and monitor shutdown requiring a password to "reopen" is the culprit. After a few minutes, the sceensaver kicks in and the monitor shuts down a bit later but mouse or keyboard input is enough to get it working. After another few minutes, the powerbutton has to be pressed and a password is required to relog in. On this occasion, nothing worked but a prolonged press of the powerbutton.

But of course, you're correct that no permanent damage was done but it prevented me from doing my work.

I've considered that option and will try it. The problem is that I'll have to do that for each and every connection I use. If I only knew when the updates are coming (this is not the second tuesday of the month), then it would be easier to avoid unwanted installations and above all, unwanted restarts.

7. 2016/09/01
    Christer

I forgot to mention that "active hours" really applies to computers running 24-7 only. I start my computer when I intend to use it and when done, I shut it down. When I expect updates to be released (on the second tuesday of the month), I do a manual search for updates, let them download and install. Next, I check if a restart is required. If so, I restart. It worked fine until today ... :rolleyes: ... !

8. 2016/09/01
    Bill

It is! Clearly something went wrong with yours this time because that is not normal behavior. Certainly you didn't just install Windows 10 on this machine. Did WU interrupt your work every other time there was an update? As you noted, it worked fine until today. So is it really fair to blame W10 or MS? Or could there have been a wayward driver or other 3rd party app that caused this?

I probably sound like a MS fan boy but I assure you, I am not. That said, I believe the developers have done an amazing job with Windows in general and W10 in particular. Consider that there are over 1.5 billion Windows systems out there and already well over 300 million are running W10. Also consider that virtually every single one of those systems became a unique system within the first couple minutes after the first boot! There are millions and millions of different hardware combinations from 1000s of different hardware makers. Users immediately create user accounts, attach their own hardware devices, configure their own network configuration, and install/configure their own security (if not using WD and WF). We install our own favorite apps, 1/2 of which have their own auto-updaters that get jammed into Windows Start. We set our own colors, languages, and desktop configurations. We add our own tweaks, update hardware and drivers and more.

And yet, for the vast majority of us by a HUGE margin, Windows just keeps chugging along WHILE keeping us secure too! 1.5 billion systems, all unique, and virtually all work without any problems. I call that amazing.

The problem is, if just .1% have problems, that is still 1.5 million unhappy users. And 1.5 million unhappy users can make a lot of noise! Especially when that noise is amplified by bloggers MS bashers, and the IT press who love to bash Microsoft any chance they get with exaggerated (if not totally false) and sensationalized headlines. :(

Now if only the Microsoft marketing weenies and bean-counters would get out of the way and let the developers do their thing without interference, then I might truly become a Microsoft fan boy. ;)

Bill,
  9. 2016/09/01
    Christer

I agree and the more I think about it, the more I get convinced that there's a connection with the "lock screen ", and "log-on screen ".

It came preinstalled and the first action on my part, even before connecting to the internet, was to upgrade to version 1511 from a USB flash drive.

10. 2016/09/01
    Bill

And that was when, a couple days ago? Or weeks or months back?

Bill,
  11. 2016/09/01
    Christer

I had to start it and check. On August 30th, an update to the "Realtek High Definition Audio" was installed. I hadn't noticed that one either and if a restart was required, it happened when I shut down when finished working. I didn't use the laptop on August 31 which means that the restart after that update had been installed would have been completed today. Since upgrading to version 1607, updates have been installed on the 9th (Windows), 10th (Windows and Office), 25th (Windows and Office), 30th (Realtek) and September 1st (Windows). I guess those are the days that I have used the computer ... ;) ... !

12. 2016/09/01
    Christer

In April, if memory serves me, or early May.

13. 2016/09/01
    Christer

I checked the logbook and there is a critical event (restart w/o proper shut down) at 11:25 AM (translated from Swedish):

Source: Kernel-Power
    Event-ID: 41
    Keyword: (70368744177664),(2)

The link for "online help" was useless, it lead to a MS site flogging Office products.

14. 2016/09/01
    Bill

Okay. So there have been several rounds of updates since then, including the HUGE Anniversary Update that were applied without issues. Will be interesting to see what happens with the next updates.
    Yeah, I know. I hate that thing.

15. 2016/09/01
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Mine and the wife's updated on 8/10 and went as smooth as silk and still is as smooth as silk.

16. 2016/09/01
    Christer

The upgrade to version 1607 was not done on-line but off-line from a USB flash drive, just like the upgrade to version 1511. I think that you know by now that if there's a possibility to do an update/upgrade off-line, I do it that way.

17. 2016/09/01
    Christer

You're refering to the upgrade to version 1607, right? Mine too went without a hitch, off-line from a USB flash drive.

18. 2016/09/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Interestingly my HP Notebook just received updates and installed and restarted with only 1 input from me. Took about 10 minutes and it installed: Update History shows:
    KB3189031 Adobe Flash Player. Installed 2/09/2016.
    KB3176938 Cumulative update for 1607. " 2/09/2016.
    KB3176936 Update fro 1607. " 29/08/2016.
    KB3176934 Cumulative update for 1607. " "
    KB3176495 " " " 1607. " 15/08/2016.
    KB890830 Malicious SRT " 15/08/2016.
    My "Insider" comp is also receiving a new build #14915. Gee I love these SSD's and Ultra Fast Broadband (Fibre Optic cable) things work so fast and easily.

19. 2016/09/02
    Christer

On mine too which indicates that downloading and installing is not limited to outside "active hours" but restarts only.

It seems like my Toshiba laptop behaves differently depending on being on battery power or connected to the charger. Too many parameters to check and I don't have the time. (Also, it's likely only me who'd be interested ... :rolleyes: ...!)