1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows update on LAN

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rsinfo, 2015/08/18.

1. 2015/08/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni Thread Starter

Trying to find answer to a very basic query - how does the Windows update works on LAN ? Do I have to create the same user on all Win 10 machines ? Do I need to share some folder to do it ? Do they have to be joined in a HomeGroup ?

2. 2015/08/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rsinfo, Did you read the Thread that Broni Posted about Updates?
    Also the fact that with Default W10 settings your comp will be used to provide updates or parts thereof to other comps in your proximity?
    How's your Security setting? I don't know the answer to your question. Sorry Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/18
    rsinfo

Neil I have been reading everything about Win 10.

Haven't found clarity on a lot of issues but this update issue is very important for me as I have 2 Win10 computers & 1 Win 8.1 computer which I would eventually upgrade to Win10. I am on a limited download plan & can't afford to use all my bandwidth to only update Win10.

5. 2015/08/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sorry you have the Broadband limitation. Our Government is trying to get the Nation up to speed by giving us FREE fibre-optic Broadband and naturally there is a heap of competition out there for "deals ".
    I'm enjoying UFB (fibre-optic) 80GB's per month with Landline for $75. This a pretty good "deal" compared to what I was previously paying for copper with 10 GB's for $94 per month! A 'Ripoff'.
    Regarding the LAN. I have 5 comps in the house all connected to the 1 Wireless/Router. 2 use wireless and 3 are direct cable connection to the Router.
    Am I correct to believe that because they share the same Router, the W10 files may be shared/moved within the range of the 5 comps as per MS advice? Neil.

6. 2015/08/22
    rsinfo

An update. One of the Win10 computer's hard disk crashed. Reinstalled it on a new hard disk.
    The Windows activated without a hitch but the computer insisted on getting all the updates from the net & not from other computer which already had everything installed & updated !

So Win10 is sucking whatever little is left from my data cap. Yikes. Microsoft please do something ...........