1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Update just keeps checking for updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LarryB, 2016/03/12.

1. 2016/03/12
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Hi-
    I have a Win7-32 netbook. WU just keeps checking and never finds anything. Here is what I know and have done.

I checked out this thread:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/110057-windows-update-hangs-wont-download-updates.html

I have run the simple WU Fixit (971058), the more advanced 50202 WU Fix It (without aggressive options) and I have downloaded/ran the System Update Readiness Tool (947821). The Tool just keeps searching for updates like WU. I tried it in Safe Mode, no go. I did the msconfig changes and tried it, no go.

I have also done the procedures in https://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-update-keeps-checking-for-updates-forever.73958/page-2 including Net stop/start of wuauserv, bits and crypt.

I lastly, at this point, installed the latest Windows Update Install Agent to no benefit.

BTW, I still use the ancient but helpful LanLed applet in my systray and when WU is checking for updates, there is no internet activity. Same with the SUR Tool. I have a ton of msconfig services running in Selective mode with "Hide......" checked. I download and update other programs fine.

Ran SFC, too. All good.

Just not sure what to do next. Should I try to go back to an ancient System Restore point? Thanks, Larry

Last edited: 2016/03/12
  2. 2016/03/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    intermediate

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
  5. 2016/03/13
    LarryB

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Well, KB947821 initiated a successful download/install of a Hotfix.

I rebooted (though not requested to do so), WU still does nothing but "checking ".

How long should I wait before abandoning the "checking for updates" mode?

6. 2016/03/13
    LarryB

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I have made a kind of left turn on this topic. I was perusing MS Community and found a mostly irrelevant thread that mentioned that WU uses both http and https. It tripped a memory that I had redone my home wifi a while ago and I recalled that the router setup has check boxes for both.

I went into the routers accessware and found https unchecked and checked it. Now I have no wifi on the netbook. It is connected but with a yellow exclamation mark and "no internet access" . Network and Sharing says that my computer has detected another homegroup on the network.

Being partially computer literate, I am lost on how to interpret this info. What does it all mean, or have it veered into a useless cul-de-sac??

Thanks, Larry

EDIT: I relented and returned that router back to http. At least I am online again. So, back to sq one.

Last edited: 2016/03/13
  7. 2016/03/13
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    Without knowing what settings you changed or how the router was setup before there is not much I can do to help you with your router situation. You should follow through with my instructions regarding getting those updates installed, then reset your router back to factory defaults.

After that is done, see if Windows Update works and can successfully check for updates.

8. 2016/03/13
    LarryB

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I am back to square one. Router is reset and good. WU has been checking for 20 minutes. All suggestions implemented.

What do you think of the System Restore idea, if I have one old enough?

Last edited: 2016/03/13
  9. 2016/03/13
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member

Computer Experience:
    Keeps getting better
    Not sure if this helps but sometimes different bits and pieces can build a picture.

I had the same or similar issue as you. Windows update just kept spinning that maddening circle while nothing seemed to happen, also no Internet activity. I tried all the things you did and more but no joy. Finally, at some point, I just let the thing run and went off to do something else. After a couple hours or more (not sure exactly,) I came back and discovered it downloading! After a long time it finished. A few updates had been installed but many had failed. So I ran it again. And again. And again. Eventually, it updated everything successfully and went back to normal, but it took many, many hours and many repeat updates before that happened. I have no idea what the problem was, or why it did what it did. I just mention this because it might have something to do with your issue. Try just letting it run for a very long time, maybe overnight, and see if that does anything.

10. 2016/03/13
    LarryB

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Ok! Tonight's the night!! Thanks.

11. 2016/03/16
    LarryB

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    rikki, thanks for the pep talk on patience. I did that and things started coming together the next morning, after all! It showed 3 updates to install! Though it has been since November since a WU, it has been updating 2 or 3 things at a time instead of 15, as is has in the past.

So, things seem back to normal. I guess that all the updates and Standalone Installers, etc worked, it just took a lot of time to let it coalesce.

I have some additional internet issues that were making this process much more difficult. I will start a separate thread on those.

Thanks to retiredlearner, rikki and of course, Evanll!!!

12. 2016/03/16
    timmins

timmins Well-Known Member

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Our neighbour had the same problem on his Vista computer. Gave him rikki's suggestion. After 2hrs of seemingly no activity, the updates indicated they were downloaded and he installed them with no problems.

13. 2016/03/16
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    Glad everything is working with Windows Updates now. Thanks for letting us know. :)