1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows update icon won't go away

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alicia J, 2009/08/13.

1. 2009/08/13
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

I have installed 11 updates using the Microsoft update site with the custom option. These were all updates released on Aug 11th/09 All went well. Successfully installed. Today the yellow icon is in the notification area. When I hold my mouse over it, it says updates are ready for your computer, click here to download. If I click on the yellow icon it disappears. When I go back to the Microsoft website and do a scan again with custom setting, no updates are shown. Grrrr. how do I stop it from it from reappearing?

I have my system set to notify me of updates and I choose when to D/L them.

2. 2009/08/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Alicia. I had a similar problem with Automatic Updates appearing telling me there were updates to install even though I already had installed all of the patches already. See if this solves the problem. Click Start< My Computer. Navigate to the following directory, C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download

This folder is where Windows Update downloads all of the updates and patches. Delete all the contents of the download folder but don't delete the download folder itself. After you do that empty your recycle bin and reboot your computer. Hope this helped.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/08/13

The yellow icon was there this morning when I booted up. I went to work and left computer on and when I came home it wasn't showing. I followed your directions anyway, since I've had this happen before, even though it did not persist as long as this time.

What is the purpose of keeping those files? If I needed to reinstall anything, I would D/L from Microsoft site anyway.

Thanks for your help. Fingers crossed. :)

5. 2009/08/14
    Evan Omo

The only purpose of those files being on your computer is only when Windows Update downloads updates for your computer. Once Windows Update downlods updates for your system and you install them then those files just remain there taking up harddrive space. I find that clearing out that download folder can solve certain types of Windows Update problems as well as free up harddrive space.

BTW your welcome and hopefully this issue will remain fixed. :)

6. 2009/08/14

Thanks for the explanation Evan. No sign of the yellow icon today. :)

7. 2009/08/15
    Evan Omo

Great. I am glad I was able to help fix your problem.