1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Update hangs and won't download updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alicia J, 2015/11/12.

1. 2015/11/12
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

On my netbook with Windows 7 Home Edition SP1 32bit .The windows update is set to notify me. It does that no problem. However it hangs when I ask it to go ahead and download and install. It won't do either.

I installed KB3102810 thinking it might help, but it hasn't made a difference. I don't get any errors it just hangs. How do I troubleshoot this issue?

Last edited: 2015/11/13
  2. 2015/11/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/12

Hi Evan. After I posted I decided to cancel the download/update and run a Fixit. It hung too. Then I decided to let Windows update run. It took 3 and 1/2 hours to download and install this batch of updates. The check for updates and download process seem to be the delay.

Should I still follow the steps you have given to resolve the issues I have even though I did eventually get WU to work? 3 and 1/2 hours to update is not acceptable but I don't have any more updates to test.

( I got your response after my troubleshooting attempts).

Last edited: 2015/11/13
  5. 2015/11/13
    Evan Omo

If its working, then just leave it as is. During the next batch of updates that are released, if its taking a long time then I would follow through with my instructions and see if the waiting time improves.

6. 2015/11/13

Ok I'll see how it goes next month. Thanks Evan! I marked this resolved and will follow your steps if needed and open this thread again.

7. 2015/12/08

A new round of updates hang. WU would not download the updates. It just hung.

I tried running the system readiness tool and it hung too.

I did a clean boot and got the updates to download and install, but it was painfully slow.

I ran the Fixit and it said:

The service registration is missing or corrupt.
    Windows update error 0x8007005-12-08-T-08_44_54P
    Fixed issues installing recent updates.

Should I be doing anything else, or should I wait until the next round of updates?

8. 2015/12/08
    Evan Omo

Did you run the System Update Readiness Tool when the machine was in a clean boot state?

Were you able to get all the updates to install successfully when the computer was in a clean boot state?

9. 2015/12/08

No. I ran the tool before I used a clean boot. Should I try it after?
    I used the 32 bit version since this problem is on my netbook 32 bit not my main PC.

The updates did install in clean boot state but it took a long time.

10. 2015/12/09
    Evan Omo

Yes, run the tool again when the machine is in a clean boot state.

Then, please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries in your next reply.

11. 2015/12/09

I did a clean boot. Oddly Avast still ran. I disabled it when computer had rebooted. The install of KB947821 initialized and then it said it was installing it. The green progress bar got 3/4 of the way across and it stalled. When I cancelled it, the message said installed but it's not in list of installed updates.

Then I tried again. this time it installed without a hitch. While in clean boot mode I ran Windows update again. It checked and said no updates available.

At least it checked without hanging. I tried checking for updates in normal start mode and it said no updates available as well.

I'll have to wait for the next round of updates to see if they download and install.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Last edited: 2015/12/09
  12. 2015/12/09
    Evan Omo

You did the right set of steps. The System Update Readiness tool doesn't actually install like an update but since it finished, it completed what it needed to do.

Having said that, you should still post a list of the startup items so I can go through them and help you get rid of items that you don't need as there is some program that is interfering with Windows Update and having unnecessary programs loading on startup is not a good thing to have.

13. 2015/12/09

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

You and I did uncheck quite a few when we were dealing with internet explorer not loading except google on this Netbook.

14. 2015/12/09
    Evan Omo

Ok since I already went through them, you should remove all of those items that you unchecked instead of just disabling them. Then if the next batch of updates hang, you will need to determine which startup program of the ones that are left is conflicting with Windows Update by re-enabling each startup program one at a time until you find the culprit.

Since you currently only have 5 startup program enabled, it won't be that difficult to figure out which item is causing the problem. It could also be a Windows service that is interfering with Windows Update but you should focus on just the startup programs for now until you can rule them out as causing a problem.

15. 2015/12/09

I deleted all the startup items that were unchecked. I have the 5 left now.

So for the next updates I would start with the 5 checked and if I have a problem, then uncheck one at a time, trying the WU in between each one that gets unchecked. Do I have that right?

I'll post back next time there are updates available.

Thanks for your help.

16. 2015/12/09
    Evan Omo

Yes, exactly. Then if none of the programs conflict with Windows Update, we would have to look at any 3rd party Services that could be the cause of the issue.

17. 2015/12/09

Okay thanks Evan. Now I'm off to solve my other problem on my main PC.

I'll mark this thread resolved and open it again if I have issues on the next round of updates.