1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Update error 0x8DDD0002

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crockett, 2004/12/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/12/15
    crockett

crockett Inactive Thread Starter

I have never used Windows Update. My computer is about 3 months old.

I decided to try it out over the weekend. I didn't get very far.

It begins to check for updated "windows updated" software and I get the following message.

error 0x8DDD0002 your not the administrator or part of his group..or something similiar.

And of course I am the administrator.

I found a KB help file that addresses this error and it had me try several things. None of which worked.

But there was one suggestions that didn't go as the help article planned. I've tried it so many times I'll type it from memory.

Go to the command prompt << This worked.
    Type net stop cryptsvc << This worked.
    Type ren %winroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 <<< This DID not work!

It claims the file path is incorrect. Basically it is having me try to rename the folder that is in the c:\windows\system32 directory from catroot2 to oldcatroot2. At least that is what I think it is doing. That folder does indeed exist. I can see it. I'm not sure what the %winroot% means or does. Anyways this command fails and gives me the invalid file path error.

Type net start cryptsvc <<< This worked.

I tried all the other solutions in the KB article but the one above.

Any other ideas how to get it so I don't get the 0x8DDD002 error?

p.s. I have Windows Home Editon

And a warning, if you ever go to the command prompt and type "net stop cryptsvc" DO NOT exit the command prompt without typing "net start cryptsvc" unless you like pulling your hair out and spending quality time with your computer.

2. 2004/12/15
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Type ren %winroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 <<< This DID not work!

Change to:

ren C:\Windows\system\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2

(%winroot% is a generic phrase in case windows isn't C:\)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/12/15
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

I copied this from another web site:

Error 0x8DDD0002 occurs due to incorrect permissions for the
    %windir%\softwaredistribution folder. This problem can be fixed by
    resetting the permission on the softwaredistribution folder. Follow the
    below given procedure to fix this problem.

If you are using windows XP Pro :-

1. Open windows explorer and locate the c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    folder.
    2. Right-click on the folder and choose properties. Click on the security

tab.
    3. Make sure Administrators and SYSTEM have full control. (they most
    likely do not so give them full control)
    4. Click on the advanced button and put a checkmark in "Replace
    permissions entries on... "
    5. Click on the owner tab and select Administrators and check "Replace
    owner on subcontainers and objects. "
    6. Check to make sure the "automatic updates" and "BITS" services are
    started. If they are not then start them.
    7. Try windowsupdate again.

If you are using Windows XP Home :-
    1. Boot to safe mode and login as an administrator.
    2. Perform steps 1-5 above.
    3. Reboot and perform steps 6-7 above.

I cannot vouch for it as I have not tried it. I found it by doing a google search for the stop error.

5. 2004/12/16
    crockett

First of all, thank you both for your replies.

Quote:
    Change to:
    ren C:\Windows\system\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
    (%winroot% is a generic phrase in case windows isn't C:\)
    End Quote:

This did not work either. I receive an invalid file error.
    I'm no expert in DOS but perhaps it is because catroot2 is not a file it is a FOLDER.

Also, I my the orginal KB article says it should c:\windows\system32\catroot2. My computer matches with this destination. There is no 'system32' folder within the 'system' folder. Perhaps that was just a typo on your part. One other strange thing I notice is that after some searching on the web I discovered how to make all my hidden folders and filers appear. This is how I found c:\windows\system32\catroot2 using windows explorer. When I go to the command prompt and type.

cd c:\windows\sytem32
    then dir/p

The catroot2 folder (or any other folders) for that matter do not exist. Do I have also "unhide" everything in the DOS shell as well. And perhaps this is why I'm getting an invalid file type error.

This seems like a very simple thing to do; change the name of a folder. But I just can't get it done. I haven't tried doing through explorer but the article specically says to go to the command prompt and net stop cryptsvc so I'm assumming this is a necessary step.

Bmoore1129:

I tried that suggestion as well and I still get the same error but I did learn something. When I boot up Windows XP HE I get no log on screen. A while ago I found a way to get rid of having to hit "David" everytime I booted my computer because I am the only user. If I go to User Accounts it shows only one user "David" and he is an administrator.

But....

When I boot in safe mode it stops at the log in screen and forces me to choose between Administrator and David (hmmmm...I thought I was the Administrator..silly computers). When I follow the steps I notice in one section under Adiminstrators, Administrator is listed. Under users David is listed. This of course got me thinking that even though when I boot in normal mode and the control panel labels me as an administrator perhaps I'm really NOT the administrator and this is why I get the windows update "0x8DDD0002 you must be an administrator error ".

I tried booting in safe mode and then going on the internet to see if Windows would allow me to start downloading windows update but of course my internet connection icon won't work. It must not be enable in safe mode.

Is there anyway to make it boot up in normal mode so I have the choice between Administrator and David (the other guy who may or may not be the Administrator).

Or does this give anyone else any other ideas on how to get Windows Update up and running?

6. 2004/12/16
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

You can download MS TweakUI to show the "real" admin account at boot. Technically, your "David" account is, by default, the one with the admin privileges, but it's not the same as the hidden admin account.

In XP Home, you must use safe mode to get to the "real" admin account. If you want to be online in safe mode, choose "safe mode with networking" from the menu.

Check in Admin Tools> Services and make sure that you have BITS set to manual or automatic, Windows Update service enabled, and check your firewall to be sure you have given permission for MS to make the connection.

If none of that helps, try a System File Check to replace any damaged files.

Start> Run> cmd
    sfc/ scannow
    You will need your XP install cd.

Johanna

7. 2004/12/16
    crockett

Thank you for taking the time to respon:

This is great information I will try all this tonight.

One question.

My system did not come with a Windows XP CD. Nada, nothing, zip. Will it be able to load what it needs from the CAB files (I believe this is what they are called?)

I thought it was strange when it didn't come with the CD but after calling IBM, they said that is the way they are shipped.

8. 2004/12/17
    crockett

Unless I can't find it or it doesn't work with XP HE this is not correct. I could find no tweak that would show the admin account at boot. No matter what I do it boots right to the desktop. i.e. pauses at the welcome screen and then moves on with no choices or stoping.

This does not work as well. It allows me to choose "safe mode with networking" and does indeed boot up but when clicking on my icon to open my dialer (I use dial-up) it does nothing. I went to the control panel and "phone/modem" doesn't even exist.

This I am able to do. I use the built-in firewall. I disabled it, had BITS set to manual, started it and confirmed "Automatic Updates" had been started. It starts and says "checking for updated Windows Update software" and then I receive Error 0x8DDD0002.

This worked until it asked for a CD. Any idea what users should do who don't have a CD. It did identify some files that it wanted to correct but my machine was shipped with no CD. It wanted Windows XP HE Service Pack 1 CD.

9. 2004/12/17
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Of course not! Try
    Code:
    [b]ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 %windir%\system32\oldcatroot2 [/b]
    or better:
    cd\
    cd %windir%\system32\
    ren catroot2 oldcatroot2

Browse to the folder containing the .cab files when it asks for the CD.

Johanna.
    DOS is NOT dead! :D

goddez,
    You are correct, %windir% = %systemroot% ;)
    but I don't think ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2 will work either. The problem is that oldcatroot2 is not a folder name; it is %systemrootr%\system32\oldcatroot2

Last edited: 2004/12/17
  10. 2004/12/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

16. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line:
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc

NOTE:It is suppose to be %systemroot%\system32

Review steps:These methods are to be tried in the order given and care must be given to use the proper syntax (words, symbols, spaces etc) while at the command prompt.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316524

As far as your sfc /scannow it's looking for your i386 folder. I asume you are using an ibm OEM. You may have to explore your harddisk for the this. Odd that an OEM doesn't already have this keyed into the registry though.

I'll assume since you have never been to microsoft for updating your xp will still be seeking to use the older v4 update link versus the v5 (at least until you update). You may find the ms link I previously stuck in here more appropriate for fixes.

--Nix these! They work for pro but not for home-----------
    Administrator Account - Add to the Welcome Screen

Download the INF fix here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/admin_enable.inf
    To use: Download the xp_admin_enable.inf file (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Locate the file you downloaded and right click on it, then select Install.

Or Download the VBS Fix here.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_admin_enable.vbs
    To use: Download the xp_admin_enable.vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the xp_admin_enable.vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done. INF and VBS files can be viewed in Notepad.

--This works for home----
    Or as previously mentioned the admininistrator will be one of the choices when you boot up in safemode

11. 2004/12/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Where did this %winroot% operator come from?? ;)

Maybe that's the source. Mine works much the same way. :D
    Environmental Variables

12. 2004/12/17
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Sparrow...huh? What's DOS?? Two , in Spanish? :D
    Johanna

13. 2004/12/17
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

surferdude2,

I copied it from the first post without thinking :( and fixed it in my edit.
    The real problem was in file names; the name includes the path!
    And yes, a folder is a file.

Johanna,
    DOS is an OS, dos is spanish for two. :D

14. 2004/12/17
    crockett

O.k.! Great some more things to try. Thank you all so much for your replies. I'll been gone for the weekend but might get a chance to try this new stuff Sunday night.

Also, sorry for the "winroot" confusion but I'm 99% certain I typed it in exactly as the KB article that goddez is referencing. I was reading from a printed version of the same article.

I will let you all know if I get anywhere. Thanks again.

15. 2004/12/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Johanna,
    Did I miss a tweakui update somewhere along the line? Mine is version 2.00.10 and this what I have. I am using xp Home.

16. 2004/12/17
    crockett

Me too! Mine has the same options as Goddez. I followed the link Johanna provide.

17. 2004/12/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

She (Johanna) is ahead of you guys (and me too) but not with the TweakUI version, it's one of the Windows elective downloads, the .Net framework thingy I think. I elected not to get it since it made changes to my Welcome screen that I objected to.

18. 2004/12/17
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Sorry, Crockett- I always use that Annoyances link because both versions of TweakUI are there, but the latest is version 2.10
    You must uninstall the old XP one first. You cannot overlay this TweakUI. You can keep your older version of TweakUI , if you still have it. (I do, and cannot remember why, now!) For anyone following along, old Tweak will be in your Control Panel, new XP Tweak will be in All Programs

Johanna

19. 2004/12/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I just thought of something...If he has never been to windows update and is not updated to at least sp1 he will not be able to install or use this. If memory serves me correctly the sp1 patch is a requirement.

20. 2004/12/17
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

tried it

I finally booted to 'safe mode command prompt' and found that the command:
    ren %windir%\sustem32\catroot2 oldcatroot2
    does work just fine. so not a problem with file name but with dir name.

Anyway, what I suggested work also.

21. 2004/12/17
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Johanna, my comparable Explorer screen "settings" screen in TweakUi doesn't have the listing for Show ASPNET or Show Administrator.

That's what I meant earlier about not having the .Net update that you evidently do.

Ya think?

That's why I uninstalled it, it immediately gave me the Welcome screen and all that interactive BS with ASPNET and Administrator in order to sign on to Windows. I just dumped the update and went back to good old lazy man passive log-in. Worked for me.

Next thread that appears about "How do I get rid of the Log-On screen" may be related to this largely unneeded update. I suppose there is some way to ditch the Welcome screen and still keep the update but I lost interest fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.