1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Update Default Download Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by conee, 2005/08/06.

1. 2005/08/06
    conee

conee Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I recently started to run the automatic Windows Update from my daughter's computer, seems easier than reminding her to go manually update every week. However, I am presented with a bit of a problem. I partitioned her hard drive into 2 sections, one for the windows system, the other for program files and her own "stuff ". It seems the automatic windows update tends to download the files into the C: drive, somewhere, and since i tried to make the system partition as small as possible, im constantly looking at around 100-400 megs of open space on the C: drive. Any registry edits, or some sort of option that im missing where i can tell windows exactly where to download the updates before running them?

2. 2005/08/07
    windux

windux Inactive

The windows need free space on the system drive to install the updates.
    You can fully configur the Windows updates:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/08/07
    windux

windux Inactive

5. 2005/08/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Far too small if Windows is to run efficiently - you need at least 20% free space, preferably 25%.

6. 2005/08/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

conee--I Run most my Windows Updates directly from the WU site, rather than Save them. That means there is no downloaded file left on the Hard Drive. (There are some uninstall files resulting.)

On the few occasions that I have Saved, I am asked where I want to save them, so I chose the location.

When you Save or SaveAs a download, Windows tends to offer the same folder it last used, so you can try a Save or SaveAs, and with luck the SaveAs window that appears will show the folder the WU updates went to.

Windows Update download files usually end in enu.exe. You could run a Search on *enu.exe to try to find the downloaded files.