1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows messenger - can I remove it?

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by flatfoot, 2003/05/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/05/27
    flatfoot

flatfoot Inactive Thread Starter

Is there a way to remove windows messenger? or at least really disable it? I have tried going to "Options" on its drop down menu and even looked to remove it from program files. It started a few days ago on a computer I've had for over a year.

I don't like windows messenger because it keeps popping up on the task bar when I turn on the e-mail. To me, Windows messenger is like call waiting, I don't have call waiting.
    If I am on the phone, I am busy, that's why you get a busy signal.

Signed, flatfoot. A grumpy old goat in Arkansas.

2. 2003/05/27
    reboot

reboot Inactive

What operating system?
    It can be uninstalled, but I need to know if it's 9x/2k or XP.
    Nevermind, here's how in XP (probably because it doesn't show up in add/remove programs for you).
    You can either disable it completely or uninstall it.

To disable, go to start > Run > and type in: services.msc
    Find Messenger, right click, properties, disable, and stop.

To uninstall, find "sysoc.inf" in the c:\windows\inf folder (it's there, but hidden, so you may have to change the file view).
    Edit it in notepad.
    Find the line that looks like this: msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
    Take out the word hide, so it looks like this:
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
    Save and exit.
    It will now show up on the add/remove list under Windows components.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/05/27
    flatfoot

Lucky Guess it is XP

Yes, it is XP. and thanks for the fast reply. I will try it later and let you know how it went.

5. 2003/05/30
    flatfoot

turn off didn't work

The turn it off procedure stated: this is not related to windows messenger. Also, since I am limited in my computer knowledge, I am hesitant about deleting files. I deleted files on a machine at work one time, and I erased DOS, whatever that is...

6. 2003/05/30
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

The Messenger Service reboot refers to is not related to Windows Messenger. However, it's a good idea to disable it because the spammers have learned how to exploit it. It's only really of any use in a corporate environment, anyway.

As for Windows Messenger, another way to uninstall it is to go to Start>Run and paste in the following:
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    Then click OK.

Don't worry, if you ever want Windows Messenger back, you can download it and reinstall it so it's not really gone. Microsoft has it stored safely on their servers so it's just a few mouse clicks (and the usual wait on Microsoft's sites) away. ;)

Miz,
  7. 2003/05/30
    flatfoot

thanks for the info

There is more than one way to skin a cat. PC's have so many different programs on them now, it is often tricky to troubleshoot over the phone or web. I appreciate your insight and that of the first gentleman who replied to my post.

I will attempt this operation and let you know how it went.

regards, flatfoot

8. 2003/05/31
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

9. 2003/06/02
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Bruce, I know about the "three different Messengers" confusion.
    You've explained it well, and most users can't tell (or don't want to know) the difference, just how to get rid of it.
    To avoid confusion, the service that needs stopping/uninstalling is accurately referred to as "Windows Messaging ", not Messenger, and lump all the IM stuff into the "Messenger" category, be it Windows messenger, MSN Messenger, whatever you want to call it.
    I'm forever mixing them up myself still. :D

10. 2003/06/02
    BruceKrymow

BruceKrymow Inactive

:) Hi, Reboot ~

I certainly did not mean to imply you are an idiot for you are surely not. :D

I intended only to separate the two since it ended up in the same thread.

The confusion lies squarely on the shoulders of Microsoft with their never ending array of redundant naming schemes for Windows components. :rolleyes:

11. 2003/09/13
    Brandi Bond

Brandi Bond Inactive

uninstalling windows messenger from XP

Hello,
    I recently uninstalled windows messenger using

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and it told me that it had been successfully removed, but then I downloaded the latest security update Windows Hotfix - KB 824146 and windows messenger has magically reappeared. I went in and uninstalled the update, and uninstalled windows messenger again, and its gone.

My question is, Is there anything else on that security update that I need???

Last edited: 2003/09/13
  12. 2003/09/13
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

flatfoot--I am entering rather late, but in OE6 Tools|Options\General tab, there is a box "Automatically logon to windows messenger ". If that is checked, uncheck it, click Apply|OK. That won't remove it but it should not pop up in the task bar anymore.

13. 2003/09/15
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Brandi Bond - that hotfix (039) is the one used for closing some of the holes the MSBlaster worm can use. Things that were missed on the first RPC patch.

So yes, you really do need it.

But not the messenger part. That was just one of the items patched and evidently the whole thing was included so you got an unwanted re-install.

14. 2003/09/16
    Brandi Bond

Brandi Bond Inactive

Newt,

Thank you for your reply. I have readded the hotfix and uninstalled messenger again, only now, every time I shut off my computer, or restart, messenger comes back after it says it has been successfully removed. Any ideas?? Thanks a lot!!

15. 2003/09/16
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Are you using system restore? That is, do you have it turned on?

And for claification, what is happening to let you know it is back?

16. 2003/09/16
    Brandi Bond

Brandi Bond Inactive

Newt,

Yes, system restore is on. Do I need to check the box that shuts it off??? Sorry, I am a real dummy...

And messenger comes back onto my start menu, program list and also the task bar when it comes back.

17. 2003/09/17
    Newt

Newt Inactive

I'd take a shot at turning off the system restore feature, rebooting, removing the thing yet again, rebooting, and seeing if it stays gone. If so, I think you can turn system restore back on (it's a good thing to have) and it will re-build it's list of things you have but without windows messenger. I think.

Nothing "dummie" about having problems with this stuff or if there is, I'm a dummie also. :D

18. 2003/09/17
    Brandi Bond

Brandi Bond Inactive

Newt,

I followed all your directions and it worked while I did all my rebooting, I shut my computer off and back on several times to double check... but this evening, I went to shut it off for the night and it came back again. It comes back right after i click on turn off, and the computer doesn't shut down, i have to click shut off again after the messenger comes back.

I did notice that in add/remove programs, in the box for adding and removing windows components, there was still a messenger there, even after I had uninstalled it. Guess the uninstall doesn't uninstall it all the way...

Just so you know, I do have msn messenger 6.0 installed on here too. Thats the one I use, its more fun:rolleyes: and I wanted to get rid of windows messenger because they both run off of the same .NET passport and sign eachother out all the time... I can't get windows messenger to not automatically sign me in. Anyway, I thought you should know this, maybe thats part of the problem too. Thanks for all your help so far.

Last edited: 2003/09/17
  19. 2003/09/18
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Maybe This will help.

20. 2003/09/19
    Brandi Bond

Brandi Bond Inactive

Even though I checked the box that says do not run when windows starts, it still signs in when I get online.

The Regedit command directions don't work. I get an error writing editry message. It could be because those directions were for 4.5 and mine is 4.7 I don't know...

Last edited: 2003/09/19
  21. 2003/09/19
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Dang - you are having a time with this thing aren't you. And it is the persistant, obstinate thing, not you.

If you want to remove it completely, do the following:

start~run~notepad c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf (assuming you have the OS loaded on C: and the folder is Windows)

Change the line that reads
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

so that it reads
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7 (note: you've removed the word hide but left the commas)

Then go to control panel~start/remove programs and windows messenger will be there. You can just uninstall it. Not to worry since it's easy to reinstall if you find you need it later on.

If you are running XP-Pro there is a way to use gpedit to block it from running but not if you use XP-home and I don't think you've said.

For XP-Pro
    start~run~gpedit.msc
    Now go to the left hand column and
    computer configuration~adminstative templates~windows components~windows messenger
    Then on the right side, double click "Do Not Allow Windows Messenger to Run ". You will need to check the "enable" block. :eek: Here is the way M$ explains that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.