1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Media Player error: A license is required to play this file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jacobowicz, 2009/08/26.

1. 2009/08/26
    Jacobowicz

Jacobowicz Inactive Thread Starter

I have a certified copy of Windows XP which I purchased direct from Microsoft and Windows has now down loaded for me automatically Media player 11.

I have all my pre-recorded music in my library, "My Music" saved but when I try to play any of the pre recorded tracks which I burned with Media Player 8 or 9 and used to be able to do without any problems, I am now faced with the following problem.

It now tells me that, and I quote:

“A license is required to play this file The file you are trying to play was ripped (copied) from an audio CD. During the ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played. To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration "). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it. To download a license for this file, click Download License.

When I try to download license it then states : Error: your Netscape browser does not have "Microsoft® Windows Media Services" plug-ins installed.

This does not appear to solve my problem!!

Any ideas out there so that I can play my albums. Going to an earlier version of Media Player does not appear to solve this.

Jacobowicz
    :confused:

2. 2009/08/26
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

It appears you are experiencing Digital Rights Management (DRM) copyright protection enforcement. You might have to jump through some hoops to be able to play your music.

I Googled "you must download a license (a process known as "license migration ") " and got about 275 results.

The top of the search results is currently a Microsoft page containing a "Download License" button.

And, for your reading enjoyment...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/08/26

mailman Geek Member

Netscape is a rather "dated" browser.

You might have to use a recent/current version of the Internet Explorer web browser (instead of Netscape) to "download the license ". Might work with Firefox (or other newer web browsers too) but I have never tried it.

5. 2009/08/26
    Jacobowicz

Jacobowicz Inactive Thread Starter

Windows Media Player

Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

You state that "You might have to use a recent/current version of the Internet Explorer web browser (instead of Netscape) to "download the license ".

I tend not to use Internet Explorer as my main browser although I have the latest version from M/S installed. I tend to use Firefox as the main browser.

I have been advised to download VLC which I am told could put all my problems to bed.

Any thoughts Mailman???:rolleyes:

6. 2009/08/26

mailman Geek Member

You might need to set IE as your "default" browser in Windows for the time you spend downloading license file(s) from within WMP. Then set your default browser back to Firefox after you're finished.

I have never used VNC and I have not used WMP much either so I cannot offer an opinion.

If I were you, I would first read through some of the Google search results I linked above for potential easy solutions/workarounds.

Then I would carefully read the WMP FAQ I linked above, especially the sections titled as follows.
    • Using protected files (DRM)
    • Ripping music from CDs
    You have not indicated you have done either of those things, so those are STILL my thoughts. :rolleyes:

Good luck! ;)