1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[windows live mail on new computer, can I install Outlook Express instead?]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by snookie28, 2011/09/25.

1. 2011/09/25
    snookie28

snookie28 Inactive Thread Starter

I got a new laptop....Samsung.....it has windows live mail and not outlook express...should have checked. I have a tower that has outlook express and my old laptop had outlook express 6 and I used to get all of my mail on both.....how can I download outlook express on my new laptop? I know how to download but will it allow it?
    Thanks, snookie:confused:

2. 2011/09/25
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

If your new laptop has Windows 7, Outlook Express will not work on it.

There are a few other free email clients available for download if you don't like Windows Live Mail. Thunderbird is one that looks the most like Outlook Express.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/09/25
    Frank D

Frank D Inactive

My two cents: I and a friend have had the same problem when upgrading to Windows 7. I now use Thunderbird (version 3.1.14, not the latest version, 7, which I tried and found more difficult to use). I find it usable, but not as easy or simple as OE6. You can download version 3 from http://www.filehippo.com/download_thunderbird/. My friend chose to use Windows Live Mail. Of the two, WLM is more like OE6, and after working with my friend on setting it up, I recommend that you use WLM, because you will have a better chance of not having to learn all over how everything works from scratch. I realize others may disagree with me but I've tried both and I believe I know which one a person who doesn't want to start from scratch would find more comfortable.

Last edited: 2011/09/25
  5. 2011/09/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Miz. TB has been my choice all along. Currently TB 6.0.2 and I think the layout is much easier to follow.
    I find it operates without all the fancy Addons, but again that is a personal choice.
    Firefox 7 Beta is my Browser and I have been a fan of Mozilla for about 7 years.
    Both TB & FF are running sweetly in Vista Business SP2 OS. and on 2 other HDD's using XP Home SP3 and Pro SP3. Cheers Neil.:D