1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Live Mail ~ Losing Mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Jim78418, 2010/04/06.

1. 2010/04/06
    Jim78418

Jim78418 Inactive Thread Starter

I loaded Windows 7 as my new OS about 10 days ago and have experienced very few problems except in the email arena.

I'm using Windows Live Mail (WLM) but since creating my accounts (I have 4) I've only received a few emails. What I expected to get but haven't seen were my daily dose from Urban Dictionary, Amazon sales, what's on sale at NewEgg and a few other "junk" stuff that I've signed up for.

At first I thought maybe I had set WML to block the mail so I have everything I can find turned off from the options menu. Then I thought maybe my Computer Associates Suite was blocking my mail so I uninstalled it and am now running free version of Avast that does not have any mail blocking. I checked my accounts on my ISP and did find a spam blocker turned on (how did I do that) for 2 of the 4 accounts that would have made an impact on what I expected to see.... that has been repaired.

I've checked all folders, particularly Junk and Deleted. They all be empty.

I have no rules set-up.

I have gone to each site to check if I'm still subscribed and the subscriptions are in place but I'm still not seeing the daily email. :confused:

Of course the big worry is if I'm not getting those email what others am I missing.

I've run out of places to look and turn to my Windows BBS experts for direction.

2. 2010/04/06
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In the last few days - I lost the ability to email ANYONE @hotmail.com .

This happens on my second Office machine where I have my home Road Runner account setup...But, apparenly since the mail does flow through my companies ISP - Hotmail is kicking the mail back.

So it seems to me that Hotmail is cracking down/doing weird stuff to block what then think is spam.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/06
    Jim78418

Not Good News

Geez Steve, I was hope'n for better news. Heck, I waited a while before jumping on the Windows7 bandwagon in hopes the big bugs would be worked out... maybe should have waited until 2011.

What to do? I decided to download Thunderbird and setup my accounts on that and see what happens. If in the morning I have my "junk" mail in the inbox I'll know WLM is broken somewhere. If I don't have mail then my plan "C" will be to not use either and logon to Windows XP and use outlook express, which has proven to work for me for many years, and see what that produces.

I'll report back on this thread when I see what I see.

5. 2010/04/07
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I am using Win 7 and WLM and get my daily junk from New Egg with no problem. It always comes to my Inbox and not the junk. Maybe try resubscribing.

6. 2010/04/07
    Jim78418

MrBill, I'm glad it's working for you... I'm jealous ;) I have "re-subscribed" at newegg as well as Amazon, Urban Dictionary, etc. with no results showing up in my WLM inbox. I'm certainly not saying the problem couldn't be originated by the user... eh, me. I just can't find what I may have done wrong.

I would think if you receive one email you should receive them all. IDEAS?

I'm willing to try just about anything to get it to work as I actually like the way WLM looks and feels.

I did DISABLE WLM and loaded Thunderbird last night to see if I found a difference in my inbox. This morning I had received SOME of the "junk" mail I was expecting that I've never seen since enabling WLM. I'll keep TB active for a day or two and see what pops (pun intended) in.

Maybe there is a setting somewhere for filtering email that I'm not finding???

7. 2010/04/07
    MrBill

Never seen a e-mail program that came with rules preset. Look on your ISP's server and see if they are there by chance.

8. 2010/04/07
    Jim78418

MrBill, I thought of that just last evening and checked it out. I logged on to each ID while on the email server of my isp and there was no mail to be found in either inboxes, deleted or junk.

I agree with your comment about never seen a e-mail....

I have found in my computer travels that usually the problems are simple things to resolve once you are directed to the correct area AND almost always caused by the user. I'm considering starting over with a clean install but dread it as it takes days to get things setup again.

I did logon to windowslivehelp.com and found that there are a bunch of folks out there that are losing email from their various saved mailboxes. I posted this problem there also but I'm not expecting an answer as most posts had no responses other than the user reposting a plea for help.

9. 2010/04/07
    MrBill

I agree. Most of the time the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. At least in my case it is. lol

10. 2010/04/07
    Jim78418

Windows Live Mail Without Support

It's been about 10 hours since I submitted my WLM issues to Windows Live Help. It would appear those folks are getting buried with threads with the same theme... mail missing, mail was here and now it's gone, my mail just disappeared and so on and so forth.

No one has even had a chance to view my issue yet alone address it. I have zero hope of hearing from that HELP group. :mad::mad:

In the meantime I still have Thunderbird loaded and have to say I don't understand why it is one of the more popular email clients. Just because it works, ya think? :mad:

Seriously thinking of going back to XP... I'm still dual booting... :eek:

11. 2010/04/13
    Jim78418

Still trying to find my email!

Lets go around this track one more time... I am still having trouble with missing mail from WLM.

I found the WindowsLiveMail.log and it is full of error messages. The most prominent one is:
    [09:08:51.59] 0a7c Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR: (menuutil.cpp:1456), failed with 0x80040100
    All errors are in the Zone_MailChk arena.

I have googled this error but the various responses don't have any solutions. I did find this to be an issue way back in Beta testing.

I have tried contacting WLM support but no joy... STILL unresponsive.

The way I have WLM setup is I have POP3 accounts on my ISP which I've set WLM to query and retrieve/send mail.

I do receive some mail but I'm sure I'm not getting it all as I subscribe to some news letters, 6 or 7 of them, that don't arrive.

I have the free version of Avast anitvirus that isn't supposed to check email. I've set the security in WLM to not scan for spam or phising.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on with WLM in light of the log data?

Thanks

12. 2010/04/13
    Steve R Jones

Odds are they are all being filtered out as SPAM. Might have to get an email app installed.

13. 2010/04/13
    Jim78418

Assuming your right... what program is filtering the email?

14. 2010/04/13
    Steve R Jones

Microsoft would be my guess....since the mail is flowing through them. All the problems started when you went to WLM...

15. 2010/04/13
    Jim78418

Steve, I can't argue that. Since my last post I have loaded Pegasus Mail and while I haven't figured out how it works yet I've already received 2 emails that have "disappeared" since moving to WLM. That pretty much tells the tale.

I will mark this as resolved but the resolution isn't fixing WLM it's getting a email client that works.

Thanks...