1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Defender Security Alert

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AJ1, 2017/08/31.

1. 2017/08/31
    AJ1

AJ1 New Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Beginner
    Good Morning Experts,

I have Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10. I bought this one and half year ago. Since yesterday, I am getting security alert from windows defender when I click Internet Explorer.

McAfee and Windows defender is fully updated. I tried to delete from the task manager, it deletes, but when I turn on Internet Explorer, that alert comes back. I can use google chrome without any problem. I would really appreciate if you can help me.

URL/picture is attached.

Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.
    Aj

[​IMG]

AJ1,
  2. 2017/08/31
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Built. Broke. Fixed.
    Photobucket now wants to charge sites a ridiculous $400/per year to host images. That is why we see that Please update your account image. WindowsBBS has not, and should not pay it. You might try Imgur.

I just tried Internet Explorer and Windows Defender did not alert on it. So you might try typing the word, troubleshooting in your start menu search box. Then when Troubleshooting comes up, click on Connect to the Internet and see if finds any problems. It might have something to do with your home page too.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/08/31
    AJ1

Computer Experience:
    Beginner
    Thank you Bill. Next time I will use Imgur. Would you able to see the image I attached?

I performed per your advice and it did not find any problems :(.

AJ1,
  5. 2017/08/31
    AJ1

Computer Experience:
    Beginner
    This popup is a virus warning, with audio, that repeats endlessly. There is no time to open another tab, or reach settings. How can this be cleared.

AJ1,
  6. 2017/08/31
    AJ1

Computer Experience:
    Beginner
    AJ1,
  7. 2017/08/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Usually not enough
    Glad to hear that you found a solution.

8. 2017/09/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    You will have all sorts of problems if you run 2 AV's at once. Why are you running McAfee?

9. 2017/09/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Built. Broke. Fixed.
    I am also glad you got it sorted out. But note I could not see your image - only the Photobucket update notice.

Also, you said in your opening post, the problem was with Internet Explorer, not Edge. Was the problem with Edge too?

I agree with retiredlearner about McAfee and Windows Defender. You don't need both - at best, it is a waste of resources. At worst, it can cause conflicts. I like to say it can be like two dogs guarding the same bone, each suspicious of the other. The only exception would be Malwarebytes and Windows Defender as they play well together.

That said, Windows Defender in Windows 10 knows to disable itself when another anti-malware solution is installed. You generally have the tell the second solution not to register itself in Windows Action Center if you want both running at the same time. If you did not manually do that, it concerns me both are still running as it suggests some corruption some where.

Bill,