1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows DDE not responding

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CoolFinalFan, 2011/08/30.

1. 2011/08/30
    CoolFinalFan

CoolFinalFan Inactive Thread Starter

tell me why when shutting down my PC I got a 'DDE WINDOW SERVER NOT RESPONDING... END NOW' message? I have never had it before and the only way I could shut down my PC was to end the task.
    I'm running Service Pack3 Windows XP
    Thanks!

2. 2011/08/30
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Is it one off problem or persistent ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/08/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi CoolFinalFan. Try this, click Start< Run and type services.msc and hit enter. The services window will open. Scroll down and highlight the Network DDE service. Right click the service and click properties. On the general tab under startup type select Disabled and click ok.

Repeat the same steps to disable the Network DDE DSDM service as well. Make sure both of those services are stopped and disabled. Reboot the computer when done and see if the issue persists.

If those steps don't help solve the problem then follow the instructions to automatically end tasks on shutdown from here, Enable Windows To Automatically End Task Non-Resoponsive Programs.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

5. 2011/08/31
    CoolFinalFan

The Problem occurs on & off, most of the time when I use Internet Explorer 7.

6. 2011/08/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You really should be using IE8 for enhanced safety & security. I suggest you upgrade and see if the issue remains.

Admin. likes this.
  7. 2011/08/31
    CoolFinalFan

update with problem...

Pete > I forgot I am using IE8
    I have done extensive searches in Bing & Google and everything I've read say that in services > it should be disabled, well come to find out when I checked it was already checked disable. And some people have even had the error occuring after they have it disabled, I'm one of them. I have an idea, can I re-install Service Pack 3 and see if that resolves the problem. Also, if I do a re-install, will it damage my OS > Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
    Thanks!

8. 2011/08/31
    Evan Omo

Did you try performing the auto end tasks tweak in my first post?

9. 2011/08/31
    CoolFinalFan

not yet, but I will. I've been tied up with personal things and will try it , then do a post as to how the outcome is!!
    Thanks!

10. 2011/08/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You can re-install SP3, but first you should uninstall it rather than install over the top of the existing installation - note that you will have to apply all the security updates issued since SP3 was released. An OTT install is not possible via Windows Updates.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

You can reinstall SP3 through Windows Update or, preferably IMO, from here - save to hard drive & install ....

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

With any major operation on the computer it is essential that you have a current backup of your important data - this should be the norm anyway as computers are far from infallible :)

CoolFinalFan likes this.
  11. 2011/09/02
    CoolFinalFan

I think I sloved the problem...

I un-installed a program called iLike Sidebar & it seems that the DDE Server window is not coming up during a re-boot and or shut down. I believe that was the cause of it occuring to begin, because now that I recall I never had it happen before installing the iLke Sidebar. I do believe that this was the cause of the problem, & am keeping an eye out just in case it happens again. Hopefully I am right about my prognosis.

I do thank all of you who have replied to this issue I was having, & if it comes up again I will adhere to all of the suggestions that everyone made.

Thank you!!

12. 2011/09/02
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

13. 2011/09/02
    Evan Omo

Thanks for the update. :)