1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Calculator and Alt-Tab display keep popping up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Frank D, 2010/07/29.

1. 2010/07/29
    Frank D

Frank D Inactive Thread Starter

I have a not-quite 2-weeks old Win7 Home Premium 64-bit PC (see my system profile), and yesterday the Windows Calculator mini-app started popping up randomly at about 5- to 10-minute intervals as I was using the machine and browsing normally.

Out of desperation I deleted the Calculator program from the HD and searched for and deleted all references to any calculator whatsoever, but it still keeps popping up, even though I close it every time. Sometimes two or three instances of it appear, stacked, and the Alt-Tab display appears, with each of the miniature windows (of currently open apps) being selected in rapid sequence, sometimes closing the open window. It's almost as if a keyboard macro is working in the background, running like a program. What triggers the sequence I don't know, and I can't imagine how the Calculator can open up without a program on the disk to run from.

Since day one I've had Avast! and Windows Defender running all the time in the background and I've run Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and scans by Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Antimalware. They all report that my PC is clean.

Could this be a Windows 7 system anomaly, or is it possible I have a keyboard macro enabled without knowing it? :confused: Whatever it is, it's making my use of the computer very difficult with all the random interruptions and window switching.

Help please? Thanks.

Frank D

2. 2010/07/29
    Frank D

New info:
    Out of desperation I installed Process Explorer (http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip) and determined that Calc.exe was indeed running on my system (I thought I had deleted all instances but apparently not). I now decided to rename, rather than delete the file. However, I found I couldn't because I didn't have the right permission. So I Googled and found a website (http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/) and succeeded in doing so. I'll now wait and see if the problem has been fixed or if it has been changed in any way.

Frank D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/07/29
    Frank D

More new info:
    Now the Windows Calculator no longer appears, but the rapid run-through of the Alt-Tab sequence still takes place. In examining the Process Explorer record, I found that DWM.exe seems to be the perpetrator. Does this ring any bells?

Frank D

5. 2010/07/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

DesktopWindowsManager.exe you can disable it in services. I am unsure what effect it will have displaying what on your monitor. Try google search .

lj50,
  6. 2010/07/29
    Frank D

More info:
    I just ran the ESET Online Scanner (www.eset.com/online-scanner) and it found the Adware.ADON malware on my HD and removed it.

I just ran the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and it said that it "found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

I've been running now for about an hour with no popups. I'll wait and see if these actions cured the problem

Frank D

Last edited: 2010/07/29
  7. 2010/07/29
    Frank D

Thanks, lj50. I'll try disabling that only as a last resort. I just hate to cripple a new user interface that I'm enjoying using. :)

Frank

8. 2010/07/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Your welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

lj50,
  9. 2010/07/30
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

10. 2010/07/30
    Frank D

11. 2010/09/17
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff