1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 98 or Me on the same HDD with XP

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by ralfska, 2010/04/16.

1. 2010/04/16
    ralfska

ralfska Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I consider installing Windows 98 SE or Windows Me on the same HDD on which Windows XP is already installed.
    After creating a FAT32 partition before NTFS partition where XP resides, the installer of Win98 SE won't let me install Win98 SE, because of XP being installed.
    Is there a solution to it? I wouldn't like to delete the XP partition.

2. 2010/04/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/16
    ralfska

Thank you. I was going to follow the instruction and to install Windows Me on the created FAT32 partition I created before C: with WinXP.
    But upon installing WinMe I get this error message: "Setup Detection Message: Message SU0013. Setup cannot create files on your startup drive for Windows Millennium Edition [...] "
    I've created that partition using Partition Wizard Home Edition v5

5. 2010/04/16
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Ralf, I've googled to death :(

As far as I can tell your XP installation needs to be on a FAT partition, ideally you would install XP after the 98/ME install.

Best I can offer is to backup/clone your drive before trying any other suggestions, but ideally...

backup your data
    format the drive
    install 98/ME
    install XP
    Now install your software in both OS's (where applicable) in the same directory/folder.

Others may be able to provide a shortcut but if you try them I'll refer back to backup/clone your drive.

Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

6. 2010/04/16
    ralfska

Thanks! I'll give it a try and will let you know of the results.

7. 2010/04/17
    ralfska

And would it be a good idea to install WinXP (after having installed WinMe) on a Fat32 partition rather than on NTFS? My HDD has a capacity of 20GB.
    Will Fat32 be slower when running WinXP? Or is it definitely better to stick to NTFS?

Last edited: 2010/04/17
  8. 2010/04/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If you make 2 partitions and install 98/Me on one and XP on the other the 98/Me partition (FAT32) will only see the XP partition if that is also FAT 32.

If XP is NTFS it will see the 98/Me partition FAT32.

98/Me must be installed first to avoid complications - always the older OS first whatever they may be.

If both are FAT you can transfer data between them both ways. FAT may be marginally slower, but the benefits of data transfer both ways overide this IMO.

Remember that there is a 4GB max file size in FAT32.