1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

windows 98 com port

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by chalio, 2010/04/21.

1. 2010/04/21
    chalio

chalio Inactive Thread Starter

hi every one, im wonder if anyone can explain me how a comunication port or serial port work is the one i has this symbol on the computer l0l0l, i have a cnc machine that used a windows 98 computer and its hooked up to a comunication port, so on the desktop im able to run the machine with no problems but i just bought a windows 98 laptop and im not able to stablish comunication between the manchine and the computer so i would like to know more about how a com port works, i would like to post some pictures of what i am talking about but i guess i cant do that on this forum,
    thanks

rosalio

2. 2010/04/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Only Contributing Members can post attachments, but the workaround is to post on a photohosting site and post the URL here.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/22
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

5. 2010/04/22
    ephemarial

ephemarial Well-Known Member

Parameters you’re looking for are the settings for the com port that’s being used.
    Baud Rate, Data Bits, Parity, Stop Bits, Flow control.
    Something like: 4800, 8, none, 1, Xon/Xoff.

The communication parameters are going to be set by the CNC machine control.
    The computer com port is set to match it.

The parameters should be in the CNC control manual.
    But you can find them in the desktop (that’s working).

Find the settings for either com 1 or 2 – whichever you’re using.
    Write them down and change the settings on the laptop com port to match.

Also use the same cable that’s hooked up to the desktop.
    Although serial cables all look the same they come in several flavors and will have different pins jumped.
    What type of cable used will be determined by CNC control.

What’s the name of the machine and control?

6. 2010/04/22
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi Rosalio

computers can have more than one COM port

you'll need to make the COM port on the laptop behave like the COM port on the desktop, before the laptop will talk to the CNC

first we need to identify which COM port on the desktop is communicating with the CNC machine (COM1, COM2 etc)

you may be able to ask your CNC software (on the desktop) which COM port it's set to use - which would make life much easier!

(I suspect that your CNC software may well be set up to use COM2, because in times past COM1 tended to get used for a mouse - and because the laptop didn't work first off; the laptop's COM port will most likely be set up for COM1 by default)

If you can find out which COM port the CNC software uses, please post back the details.

(if the answer is anything other than COM1, you will need to set up the laptop's (single) COM port to behave like a COM2 (or whatever) - this can be done using the laptop's BIOS)

==

If you can't find out which COM port it is from the CNC software, we'll need to find out. First, discover how many COM ports are available on the desktop:

using your desktop machine:
    - boot Win 98;
    - Start > Settings > Control Panel: double click "System "
    ...to bring up System Properties; go to the Device Manager tab; look down the list to find the entry for Ports (COM & LPT)
    (example)

...and let us know how many COM ports you see, please.

best wishes, HJ

Last edited: 2010/04/22
  7. 2010/04/24
    chalio

Hi every one, thanks for all that information, is a little bit hard for me to understand because i have no experience on computer and im working right now on post some pictures of the desktop computer, the cnc machine and the laptop,

the cnc machine is a prolight 2000 machining center, im doing my best to get all that information together i promply post it on here, thanks,

chalio

8. 2010/04/24
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi

could you also let us know whether you installed the software onto the laptop afresh, or copied the files which were on the desktop computer, pls?

best wishes, HJ

9. 2010/04/29
    chalio

hi guys, i have all the information, post it on flickr, what i realize is on the desktop i have a com1 under the plug and play Bios, and on the laptop i have a com 2 under ports, but on the laptop does not exist a com 1, i hoping this information will be useful and if not please let me know what i need to help me solve the problem,

thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chalio-prolight2000/

thanks again!!!

10. 2010/04/29
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi again

there are two ways you could go about solving this:

a) make the laptop's COM (serial) port behave as COM1

b) use the SETUP program for the Prolight to tell the CNC software to use COM2 instead.

...either of these should do the trick.

==

I'd suggest to try changing the laptop's COM port to COM1 to start with, unless you also sometimes use the laptop's IOIOI socket to connect to something else!

To change the laptop's serial port to behave as a COM1, you need to get into the BIOS Setup screens. This is accomplished by pressing a key on the laptop as it is starting up, very soon after turning the laptop on (before Windows even starts to load).

The key you need to press varies from computer to computer! You need to find out which key. Just after boot up, look at the screen carefully for wording like "Press F2 to enter Setup" or "F2 = Setup ", it should tell you which particular key you need to use for your machine.

So, assuming you have found out which key you need: boot up (or restart) the laptop, and have your finger ready on the key! Hit the key as soon as the "Press [key] to enter Setup" message appears (you have to be quite quick; it might take a few tries to get the timing right)

When you arrive at the BIOS setup screen(s), you need to look through the screens until you find the setting for the Serial port (COM port) ...which will currently be saying COM2. Follow the on-screen instructions to choose COM1 from the available options (example from a different laptop). (Don't alter any other settings!! ;) )

...then Exit from the BIOS setup program - choosing to Save your changes as you exit (if you get the option).

When the laptop next boots up, you should be able to confirm that the change has taken effect by using Device Manager - and with any luck your CNC software will be working!

(again: the navigation around the various BIOS options varies from one machine to another, so I can only show you the method, rather than give precise directions. If you could let us know the make and model of laptop, we could guide you better).

best wishes, HJ.

Last edited: 2010/04/29
  11. 2010/04/29
    chalio

i tried to get into the BIOS configurations but the computer does not give any messages to identify what key i have to press, as i found out the computer is a ibm thinkpad not sure if is 380 or 380D(dont know the difference) it has a windows 98 second edition 4.10.2222 A, with genuineIntel pentium(r) processor 80.0mb Ram

12. 2010/04/29
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

13. 2010/04/29
    chalio

i tried press f1 when the computer start up, but it took to a easy set up, and i can not change anything but the date and time it just give me the information and it looks like just test the computer i can post a picture of the screen that i am getting

14. 2010/04/30
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

:( seriously unlucky not being able to alter the laptop setting - we seem to be stuck with a COM2

well, the Prolight software itself provides two ways that would allow you to use COM2 - we can try one of those instead:

either
    a) run the setup program again, or
    b) set an environment variable to tell the software to use COM2

**edit**
    chalio: there's actually a third and much easier way, but it only works if you start the Prolight software by clicking on a shortcut somewhere, an icon on your desktop maybe? or something on the start menu perhaps? Could you please describe what you click on to start the CNC software - or if it's not a click on something, what do you do instead pls?

Assuming that it's a click on something, you could do this:
    - try right-clicking at the same place and choose "Properties "
    - the Target should be highlighted; assuming it is, type (only) the following keys in the order shown:
    End
    Space
    /
    C

- if you reckon you got it right, click Apply (or if anything went wrong you can Cancel at this point)
    - click OK

now, try starting up the CNC software to see whether it works!

good luck ;) that might be all you need to do

==

if you don't start the CNC software by clicking on something, you'll have to do the stuff below

**/edit**

I'm a little bit dubious about running the setup program twice over (I'm assuming that you did run the setup program when you installed the software onto the laptop?), so let's try the other way first.

You need to add a line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file - like this:
    (the bits you type are shown in green)

- Boot up Windows;

- Click Start, and choose Run...

- Type notepad \autoexec.bat into the box, and press Enter (if you miss out the space between notepad and the \ it won't work ;) );

- Look down the file for an entry like SET COMPORT=1
    ...if it's there, edit it to make it say SET COMPORT=2
    ...if there was no SET COMPORT entry originally, add a line saying SET COMPORT=2 at the bottom of the file; and press Enter at the end of this line (so that your cursor drops to the line below)
    (the only space is between SET and COMPORT)

- Save the file;

- Close notepad;

- Reboot the laptop...

...and try out the CNC software to see if it now works!

Good Luck :)

best wishes, HJ

(ref: Prolight manual, Appendix E)

Last edited: 2010/04/30
  15. 2010/04/30
    chalio

thanks i going try those options right now!!

thanks!!!

16. 2010/05/01
    chalio

bad news i wasnt able to run the prolight cnc mill with the laptop i still have the communication problem :(, should i get a different laptop like a toshiba o what u recommend?

17. 2010/05/02
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

oh dear

if there's another laptop to hand, then that could certainly be a way to go :eek: ...but I think we should persevere with this one a little further before giving up :)

that wasn't just unlucky, we're trying to do what the manual says - it's more likely that something's gone wonky somewhere

it's certainly worth a check to confirm that the SET COMPORT=2 "stuck" properly - like this:

- Click Start, and choose Run...

- Type command into the box, and press Enter

- into the DOS box which appears, type set, and press Enter

you should see a list of stuff on the screen (example)

Look down the list: do you see the line saying COMPORT=2 on your laptop?

Let us know what you see pls! (if it's not there, we should be working out where it's got lost...)

(when through, type EXIT, and hit Enter to close the DOS box)

best wishes, HJ

18. 2010/05/03
    chalio

i guess i need to get another laptop, i did something wrong to this one, and now it doesnt even turn on, oooppps!!!! i rather buy the other one, so which type of laptop and what brand should i get?

thanks!!

19. 2010/05/15
    chalio

Hello, again i got the computer working again and i tried the notepad autoexec.bat and i set the compor 2, and also i checked that command to see the list and i have comport=2 listed, so im still not getting commnunication and looks like the serial port is working

20. 2010/05/18
    chalio

thanks the problem is fix, thanks for all the help

21. 2010/05/18
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi chalio

sorry i've been out of touch, travelling away from home a lot at the moment

congratulations for getting it working :) great news

best wishes, HJ