1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8 in "Preparing Automatic Repair / Diagnosing your PC - loop

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by pcbugfixer, 2013/10/28.

1. 2013/10/28
    pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Inactive Thread Starter

G'day Folks,

I have a MSI EX720 Laptop with Windows 8 installed.

During several boots the system showed a popup window suggesting that there was a Driver issue.

We then used the " verifier.exe " with Standard settings and Autoselect all drivers installed on system.

This looked as though it was performing the task until it started looping at the 1st screen with "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then the second screen with "Diagnosing your PC"
    and finally the 3rd screen with "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC ", etc. The system continues to perform the same tasks (loops) on every boot.

There is a fix for this, however I cannot remember which file needs to be deleted and in which folder the file is contained to stop this boot looping sequence.

Need help please to get this Win 8 system back to normal boot into the installed win 8 system.

Regards
    pcbugfixer

2. 2013/10/28
    pcbugfixer

Don't all rush in at once to answer this

Folks,
    Don't all rush in at once to answer this :)
    :eek: The Devil made me say that ;)

pcbugfixer

Last edited: 2013/10/28

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/28
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Well, did The Devil also provided you with your answer ? :D

5. 2013/10/29
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

We haven't received our paycheck for being on this board. I guess it was because of the Govt. Shutdown. :D :eek:

Have you tried to get in using Safe Mode? I like to do Safe Mode with Networking so that I can get on line and maybe get something that will help the problem.

6. 2013/10/29
    pcbugfixer

G'day rsinfo and MrBill,

rsinfo - nope, I have not gone down that far yet :cool:

MrBill - I had / have tried 98.5% of current available options including safe mode, all so far continue to go back to the looping. Obviously due to this I cannot get to safe mode with anything as the system just does not go to the desktop in any mode. If by chance I do get there, my problem will be solved. :)
    The GST was bad enough, then came the Carbon Tax which everyone already added to their goods and services and now the Liberals/Nat party is getting rid of the Carbon Tax we think (so they said in their election promise) however I don't think everyone is about to remove the extra hike in their goods and services. :eek:

If I find the answer elsewhere, I will post it her, in the mean time keep trying for me please. :D

Regards
    pcbugfixer

Last edited: 2013/10/29
  7. 2013/10/29
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

8. 2013/10/29
    pcbugfixer

Nice try Whiskeyman,

The result of this action and the select either "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC" options were there before and not what I wanted to occur, i.e. I wanted to avoid all the extra work in reinstalling all the application software if possible and have the system start normally booting to the desktop.

Thanks for link anyway, nice try

Still in loop.

Regards
    pcbugfixer

9. 2013/10/29

Can you boot into the bios and check to see if Secure Boot is disabled and also change from UEFI to Legacy mode? Also are the partitions original or before the Windows 8 install was another partition created? Did the problem driver involve Intel? Many solutions are being offered at different sites including Microsoft's, but I haven't seen any describing deleting any file yet.

10. 2013/10/29
    pcbugfixer

G'day Whiskeyman,

The MSI ex720 Laptop BIOS does not have parameters that you describe.
    Partitions were created before Win 8 Pro was installed.
    Problem driver was not Intel related.

"Refresh your PC" failed and "Reset your PC" is not an option as a new install is better in my opinion.

I am able to use the Hirens Boot DVD and have access to all partitions, so I am able to save all the document etc., folders which I am doing now.
    I will then perform a new clean install as the customer is waiting and needs it back.

The install with all the application software, Microsoft updates, etc will take about 37+ hours, hence I was looking for a fix.

Thanks for your help, but I cannot delay any longer looking for a fix and need to start the new install.

Regards
    pcbugfixer - This time could not find a fix :eek::cool: better luck next time :D

11. 2013/10/30

From what I have read so far is that Windows 8 repair can get confused on a system with multiple partitions and lock the drive. It seems like it can't find the correct partition that Win8 was installed on. You would have to use command prompt to change the drive letter.

12. 2013/10/30
    pcbugfixer

G'day Whiskeyman,

Partitions and drive letter assignments were all OK, i.e. it booted to C:\ but was stuck in the, as described in my original post,

"This looked as though it was performing the task until it started looping at the 1st screen with "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then the second screen with "Diagnosing your PC" and finally the 3rd screen with "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC ", etc. The system continues to perform the same tasks (loops) on every boot."

New install has started - Thanks again for your help.

Regards
    pcbugfixer :cool: