1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8 and HTC sync

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Funnykeyboard, 2013/01/04.

1. 2013/01/04
    Funnykeyboard

Funnykeyboard Inactive Thread Starter

Not really had any problems with HTC sync and my HTC desire S mobile on Windows 7. Just tried loading it on Windows 8 and it tells me when I try to install;
    "The installation of HTC driver installer 4.0.1.001 appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation? ".

Tried running it using the various compatibility modes, and I have tried running the installation package as an administrator.

I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520, with four gig of ram, with Intel i5 2.3 GHz processor. Using Windows 8 ultimate 64-bit.

Any help, suggestions, appreciated.

Best wishes, funny keyboard

ps

(Just for those who don't know, if you have trouble connecting to your mobile, it is worth going into the mobile drop-down menu, tapping HTC sync, click on Internet passthrough, click on done, pull down the menu again, tap and Internet passthrough, and reset to HTC sync.)

2. 2013/01/04
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It looks like Windows 8 is not supported:

HTC Sync Installation Instructions

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/05
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Just another reason to continue with Win 7.

5. 2013/01/05
    Funnykeyboard

No way man, Windows 8 is impressive. Teething problems, yes. But a big improvement.

6. 2013/01/06
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

From what I have heard & seen, Win8 is no great leap from Win7. The only leap is the interface which either you like or not.

7. 2013/01/06
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2013/01/06
    Funnykeyboard

yes, I should caveat my comments with the information;

I am definitely a consumer rather than a creator LOL.
    My principal use for Windows, is access to speech recognition. This makes the start menu pretty redundant anyway in Windows 7, so it isn't missed much in Windows 8.

I just find that the system starts up quicker, closes down quicker, runs smoother, faster, prettier, nicer sounds. Is just a more pleasant experience. So far, and have only had it on for about a week and a half, the only thing I am missing is HTC sync.

There is definitely a learning curve, but I like change.

9. 2013/01/06
    Funnykeyboard

solutions!

okay I downloaded a program called PC Suite, which is intended to be an alternative to HTC sync. Didn't like the look of it, so I didn't use it. However, I found this solution here;
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986166

The problem is that is a 64-bit solution, whereas at present I have got a 32 bit operating system [an oversight in the installation which will be corrected once I'm happy with everything.]

however after looking at that, I went to device manager, and saw that my android phone drivers were installed. Installed HTC sync, and everything ran fine.

Happy days. :-D

10. 2013/02/28
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member

Win 8 is more stable and secure. All you have to do is click on the metro desktop tile and it works very much like Win 7. The Start Button is now a graphical presentation instead of text. If you right click on start you get a list of windows tools. That's very convenient. I use win 8 as though it's Win 7 and have the advantage of a system that's more stable and secure than Win 7.

11. 2013/03/22
    darkwhite1

darkwhite1 Inactive

I got it to work on my 64bit Windows 8 PC by installing Sync Manager from HTC. Sync Manager is installed and it does not detect my EVO 3D phone as it is not supported but it has successfully completed the installation of the driver after which I was able to use HTC Sync without any problems.

Those who are having the same issue please try installing Sync Manager available in HTC wesbite.