1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8.1 Update

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by PeteC, 2014/04/09.

1. 2014/04/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

Eventually managed to prise the Windows 8.1 Update from Windows Update this morning - guess the servers were overloaded, and it installed without issue :)

As I run Start8 and will continue to do so I can't comment on the revised Start. The only change I noted was the appearance of a Store icon in Quick Launch - binned.

2. 2014/04/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Pete, I went to WU and this 8.1 Update (KB2919335) is 887.6 MB's.
    How long did your Download take? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/09
    retiredlearner

My HP Notebook is just finishing the install. A total of around 40 minutes. Phew! Neil.

5. 2014/04/09
    PeteC

Overall with several hangs around 3 hours :)

6. 2014/04/09
    retiredlearner

Downloaded and installed on this comp in about ½ hour.

;)

:eek:

From the MS site regarding this 8.1 Update. Neil.

7. 2014/04/09
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Is this a flawed update?

8. 2014/04/09
    retiredlearner

Not that I am aware of James.
    Install the Latest Windows 8.1 Update:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

This is slightly different to the MS info I quoted before. My comp seems to be running quite normally after this Update and is showing on the Desktop as PeteC Posted originally.
    Funnily, I just got a pop up window asking me if I wanted to Manually install this Update! :confused:
    I'll just keep taking the tablets. Neil. :D

9. 2014/04/10
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused?

I believe my laptop has installed the windows 8.1 quite some time ago (not sure exactly when) but I know it did take a long time to complete!:eek:

I have the Classic Shell start button installed, so when I click on that (to take me to the metro start screen) there is no search button next to my account name??

But when I go to the system information screen (also from using the Classic Shell start button) my OS is listed as Windows 8.1!

I do have updates set to automatic. So now I'm wondering if the update didn't go as it should?? Never received any notification that it didn't & I haven't had any issues with this laptop, but wonder if there's something I need to do or check to make sure it's really installed?

(This is going to take me FOREVER on how to use this new windows! Will be glad when my new desktop comes so I can use Windows 7--hoping that will be a little easier to get accustomed to!)

10. 2014/04/10
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Same here - exactly (assuming you really mean W8 Taskbar and not the old XP Quicklaunch toolbar - which is NOT enabled, by default).

I was happy I did not need to reinstall Start8 - as I did after updating from W8 to 8.1.

I am always amazed by this question. Why not install? I can certainly see waiting a few days after an update is released, listening for any fallout. But the facts are BY FAR, the extreme majority of all updates install without a hitch. And the vast majority that don't go well can be "undone" with no problems. I find it amazing that one or two reports can put millions into a panic, and keep them in a vulnerable state.

There are still folks running XP SP2 because they heard SP3 might break their systems. Oh well.

[rant off]

Hmmm, not a very user friendly way - especially if you boot to the Desktop.

I am fortunate to have a fast cable connection and pretty quick (SSD-based) computer. It took about 5 minutes to download and install the patch (including the requisite reboot).

On the new Start Screen (previously known as the "Metro" screen, next to my name in the upper right is the magnifying glass search icon. That said, since I rarely ever visit W8's Start Screen, I could not tell you if that was there before or not. I am assuming not.

From the "Desktop ", right click on Computer and select properties. Is should say Windows 8.1 something ( "something" being Pro, or Home Premium, etc.).

To see if you have Windows 8.1 Update installed, check View update history in Windows Update. If you have KB2919355 installed, then you have the update.

Note if you installed the Update a few days early from the MSDN download, you did not get the full update. See http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/update-your-windows-81-update-youre-missing-kb-2934018-240174.

Bill,
  11. 2014/04/10
    PeteC

Yes!

Microsoft's terminology is confusing - to be clear this is an update to 8.1

12. 2014/04/10
    Bill

lol To be clear, this "is" an update to 8.1, but there have been several updates to 8.1.

To "really" be clear [as mud - thanks to MS] this "update to 8.1" is officially called, "Windows 8.1 Update ".

13. 2014/04/10
    PeteC

At least with Service Packs in previous OS's clarity was preserved :)

14. 2014/04/10
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I tried to install this update, remotely, but I don't think the update ever downloaded. Windows 8.1 is now running at a crawl, and seems to be stuck in some kind of update loop.

I'm not sure if I can fix this or not without having the laptop in front of me.

15. 2014/04/10
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member

Got 'er done!

Thanks everyone for all the info on this update! I had checked to see if that update (KB2919355) was listed anywhere on my updates and found that it wasn't!

So then (I think?) I used the update function and it came up showing that there were 2 updates to download (don't remember what the other one was). I proceeded to download them. I don't really know how long it took as I just left it to do it's thing and just went to bed.

When I came back to the laptop, it said the downloads were ready to install. That part only took a few minutes. So now when I check to see if that "search" button is next to my name on the metro start screen--it's there!

I also did notice that "store" icon in the taskbar but unpinned that as well.

Was happy that this update didn't affect my classic shell start....I'd be completely lost without that!

16. 2014/04/10
    retiredlearner

Hi Vicki, Windows 8 was "improved" with the 8.1 Update which was available after October 18th last year (if my memory serves me).
    This latest (KB2919335) update is vital for future security updates to follow (as I read into it).

I have installed Start8 on both my Desktop comp and my HP Notebook, after trying Classic Shell.

Start8 is functioning perfectly OK after the install of KB2919335 on both comps.
    Hope that clarifies it for you.
    See my 3rd. Post in which I quoted from MS site the reason for installing this KB2919335 update. Neil.

SidMoore likes this.
  17. 2014/04/11
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm thinking the time frame you mentioned, retiredlearner, about the update/improvement to Window 8-Window 8.1 was probably back around October! I just remember it being quite awhile ago.

I remember reading a little about using Start8 and Classic Shell but don't recall what the differences were? But for as little as I really use this laptop, I feel better just having something other than the original Windows 8 metro start screen!!

Thanks again for bringing the update to the forefront.....don't know that I would have even thought about looking/checking for it otherwise? (And am a little surprised that it didn't automatically down load to begin with?)

At any rate, sounds like I should be good to go now (with all the future updates).

Happy Spring!

18. 2014/04/11
    retiredlearner

Hi Vicki, Glad you got it sorted out. The main difference between Start8 and Classic Shell, is CS is free. There are a few subtle differences between them and it comes down to personal choice. Neil.

19. 2014/04/11
    Bill

It should be noted that even without Start8 or CS, you can set 8.1 to boot directly to the desktop (a major change from 8.0 to 8.1). But that is a manual operation. After installing this Windows 8.1 Update, Windows will look to see if it detects a "touchscreen" monitor, and if not, it will automatically boot directly to the desktop. So Start8 and CS users probably should try uninstalling those programs and see if they like how Windows 8.1 behaves without them.

And I think retiredlearner should go first, then tell us how it went!!! :D

20. 2014/04/11
    retiredlearner

Hi Bill, I have Disabled Start8 and happy to say that everything works OK.;)
    My Desktop remains as it was with shortcut Icons on the left side, and the Task bar still has my IE, FF, TB, Word, File Explorer and Store icons.
    It doesn't seem to present any problems at this point in time except it cost me $5.00 USD's.:eek:
    How to Disable Start8 Temporarily.

If anyone else would like to try this:http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/156/start8
    Start > Run > C: > Enter and follow the instructions in the link above.
    The reverse can be done to Restart Start8. :D Neil.

21. 2014/04/12
    Bill

Fortunately, being out $5 does not sting too much - and IMO, I got my money's worth. I am currently running without Start8 but I suspect before the morning runs out, I will re-enable it because I like having the traditional Start "menu ", not just a Start "button" the cycles between desktop and metro screen.

BTW, a new 1.4 version of Start8 was just released in support of the new Windows 8.1 Update.