1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8.1 for new build??

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by SarahB, 2014/09/01.

1. 2014/09/01
    SarahB

SarahB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Finally, finally I have got around to my new build. :)

My question is should I go with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for my new machine?

I do not have a touch screen monitor and I will not be changing to one. I aim to keep my current monitor and graphics card. Everything else will be new.

I see several of you are running 8.1 quite happily.

Will I be able to get 64 bit drivers for my Epson 3800 printer and Canon LIDE 210 FLATBED SCANNER?

Any other considerations would be welcome too!

Sarah

2. 2014/09/01
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Your question about 64bit drivers for you printer and scanner - yes on both counts. I Googled both with my W8.1 laptop and it detected the W8.1 64bit setup.

I have a desktop with W7 and I like it very much. I have a fairly new touchscreen laptop with W8.1 and I like it very much since I installed Start8 which makes the laptop look and operate very much like W7. I found the W8.1 very difficult to navigate around. I don't use the touchscreen feature much yet - perhaps more as I get used to it. It seems a bit awkward to have to reach out to use the feature. Guess I'm too used to the mouse.

My suggestion would be W8.1 with the thought of using Start8 if you don't like the W8.1 look and feel.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/01
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I'd get Win 8 & install Start 8. Never have to see that monstrosity called 'Metro' :D

Arie,
  5. 2014/09/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Sarah

I am running Win 7 on my desktop and 8.1 with Start 8 on the laptop and would concur with Arie's recommendation. In addition I would install a SSD for the OS.

However you need to consider if the programs you currently run are compatible with Windows 8. To this end I suggest you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on your current PC, not to see if the hardware is compatible, but to see which programs are incompatible with 8.

If you have incompatible programs there are ways of running them on 7 or 8 in a Virtual Machine......

In Windows 7 Pro you can download Windows XP mode from MS - this includes a copy of XP Pro and install the XP programs which are incompatible with 7. Alternatively you can use a third party (free) virtual machine and install XP - snag here is that you need a new, not previously installed copy of XP.

Windows 8 does not offer an XP Mode, but a virtual machine can be installed, but again you need a new, not previously installed copy of XP.

Some programs may run in Compatibility Mode.

As a fellow Photoshopper do not necessarily assume that your plugins will run in 64 bit - several of mine don't and I stick with PS 32 bit - no great issue :)

I have the same dilemma as you in that my desktop is due for replacement and I use programs which are not compatible with 8. Some I can live without, but I cannot live without FrontPage 2003 for maintaining my web site. That issue is relatively easily overcome by retaining the Win 7 desktop for occasional use and dumping my XP desktop which is only used for reference in helping out others both here on the BBS and elsewhere.

6. 2014/09/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

7. 2014/09/01
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

As fairly new user of Windows 8.1, I have been installing programs I would never have thought would run in 8.1. So far I have not found one that I am transferring from my old XP to 8.1, naturally, reinstalling.
    Yesterday I installed "sendtotoys" I was using that on Windows 98,works fine, also Pete and I are using the same old Lotus Oranizer 2000.
    Virginia located your drivers, that is great and I think more of a worry than older programs running in 8.1.
    One thing you might want to take notice of is, you have 2 Program File Folders

1.) Program Files
    2.) Program Files (86)

That is if you are installing Windows 8.1 64 Bit which I thought you where thinking of, as you where questioning about 64 bit drivers.

Windows does a good job of placing the programs into the correct folders, but on occasions I just place the files in 86 if they are old.
    hawk22

8. 2014/09/02
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

This is a no-brainer!

Windows 8.x is faster, and more secure than W7 - so that is reason enough to install W8.x.

But also, Windows 7 is already 5-years old! Why put a 5-year old OS on brand new hardware designed to support the most recent operating systems?

The touchscreen support in W8 is just simple support for yet another HID (human input device) - just like the mouse and keyboard. It is NOT a "key feature" of W8 and should NEVER be used as a determining factor for not getting W8. No one, not even touchscreen users EVER need to touch the screen in W8.

But the problem is, touchscreen support got 100 times more publicity than it deserves! And that is overshadowing W8's other features and advantages - totally unfairly.

I too use Start8, but many users I know personally who have taken the time to become familiar with the Windows 8.x "Start Screen" (formally called the "Metro" UI) have grown to like it - and none of them use the touchscreen features - except on their notebooks.

Remember, the UI is just the starting page for all your other apps. Once you are in Word, your browser, or whatever program you are using, it is all the same.
    It looks like W8.x 64-bit drivers for your Epson Printer and Canon Scanner are not going to be a problem.

@PeteC - Frontpage 2003 and Windows 8.

Bill,
  9. 2014/09/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

@Bill - thanks for the heads up on that. As soon as I opened the link I realised I need more RAM between the ears :D I went through the exercise some months ago and FrontPage does indeed run on 8.1. Now if I could get my old FTP client (TerrapinFTP) to play ball on 8.1 .....

10. 2014/09/02
    Bill

Sorry Pete - can't help you there. In fact, it seems (according to the one user review) it does not even support W7. :(

Bill,
  11. 2014/09/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No problem - works fine in 7.

12. 2014/09/05
    SarahB

Looks Windows 8 with Start 8

Thank you everyone for your replies. It looks as though Windows 8 with Start 8 is the way to go.

Pete C's comments about software compatibility issues are very valid. The only software I have that might be a problem is Rawshooter Premium (OK so I am a dinosaur but I love this and will be very sad if I can't use it anymore) However this isn't good reason to stay with W7 alone. I'll just have to force myself to use Photoshop RAW instead (I have CS6 for my new PC :)) :)Peter are you using your PS plugins in a 32 bit virtual machine or on an actual 32 bit PC?

I don't know if my Photomatix Pro3.2 stand alone software will work on W8 either. Or my webcam but I'm assuming the latter will be upgradeable.

Thanks everyone.
    Sarah

Last edited: 2014/09/05
  13. 2014/09/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Neither - my Win 7 is 64 bit Pro, but 64 bit OS's run both 32 bit & 64 bit programs - you have 2 Program Files folders, one for 64 bit (Program Files) and one for 32 bit (Program Files (x86)). Installing PS loads both the 32 bit & 64 bit versions - 64 bit is the default, but the settings can be changed to make 32 bit the default.

Rawshooter was bought by Adobe in 2007 and features from it incorporated in Camera Raw - the RAW engine in CS6 is greatly enhanced over earlier versions.

Photomatix Pro 5 is compatible with Win 8

You should post your email problem in a new thread in the Microsoft Mail forum - it's not appropriate in this thread

14. 2014/09/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Update ....

According to the Windows 8 Update Assistant run on my Win 7 desktop Photomatix Pro 3.2.1 is compatible with Win 8.1. To confirm I have successfully installed it on my Win 8.1 laptop and registered it - no apparent issues.

15. 2014/09/05
    SarahB

Well, that's one piece of good news! Sarah

16. 2014/09/07
    SarahB

Please can someone give me the link for Start 8 you talk about here?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

17. 2014/09/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

18. 2014/09/07
    SarahB

Thank you Peter. This is the one I was looking at!

19. 2014/09/07
    Bill

Sure but understand you could have just plugged it into Google and had it hours ago!

Here you go: Start8