1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 7 - Upgrade or New Install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by virginia, 2018/04/03.

1. 2018/04/03
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

I was given a new, unopened copy of Windows 7 Professional - Upgrade to Vista or new install for XP. When I tried to upgrade my neighbor's old Vista unit, I got a message that it couldn't upgrade because the neighbor's system is Vista Home - not Professional.

Could I use this Windows 7 Pro to do a fresh install over the Vista Home similar to installing over XP?

2. 2018/04/03
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yeah, you could go from Pro to Pro, or from Home to Home, but not Home to Pro.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/04/03

Can I go Pro7 to Vista Home as a fresh install?

5. 2018/04/03
    Bill

In terms of licensing issues, I don't see a problem. But I don't know if the installation program will let. If your new W7 disk is an "upgrade" disk, it is going to be looking for a qualifying version of Windows already installed.

Bill,
  6. 2018/04/03

I think I will give it a try. This is from the outside of the box:
    I visited the website mentioned in the quote above and the only information I could find there involved upgrades to Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't appear to eager to give any information on an "upgrade" to Windows 7.
    Since the upgrade from XP specifies a clean install I would assume that I could do the same type of install over Vista - or am I missing something critical?

7. 2018/04/04
    Bill

That is not surprising since mainstream support for Windows 7 ended over 3 years ago!

That seems like a safe assumption but I have not done it so please don't hold me to it. I sure would make sure you have the product keys for your Vista in case the upgrade asks for it.

Bill,
  8. 2018/04/06

Bill,
    I went ahead with the fresh install - Windows 7 Pro (Vista Upgrade/XP Fresh install) over the existing Vista Home and it installed without a hitch. Of course I am now installing the stuff that got wiped out and resetting the Desktop links but that won't take long. So thanks for your counsel.

9. 2018/04/07
    Bill

Sweet! I am glad that worked. Frankly, IMO, installing all your programs again is not a bad thing. For one, you insure all are the latest versions, and you don't end up with a bunch of orphaned files and folders from old versions. You also tend to only install what you need instead of a bunch of extra stuff you collected over the years you never use.

Thanks for the follow up! :)

Bill,