1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by winseven, 2009/01/29.

1. 2009/01/29
    winseven

winseven Inactive Thread Starter

Is anyone getting shutdown problems with Windows 7 (build 7000)?

Sometimes my installation shuts down fine (in around 14 seconds). Other times it won't shut down at all - the Start button doesn't do anything, neither does Windows Explorer or Task Manager.

I can't pinpoint the cause but it seems to happen most after playing music tracks or video files in Media Player.

I've looked in Event Manager buyt can't figure out what is significant and what isn't.

2. 2009/01/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Welcome to WindowsBBS;)

After you stop playing music - if you wait a few minutes will it shut down ok then?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/01/29
    winseven

Sometimes it'll shut down after several minutes - sometimes everything just stops and I have to kill the power to get out. :eek: There doesn't seem to be a fixed pattern - although there must be a logical reason in each case.

5. 2009/01/29
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on or shut down, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown. If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 100 series are boot events and I believe those in the 200 series are shut down events. These can be followed up by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom.

In XP and Vista, Microsoft’s Process Explorer is a boon. I haven‘t tried it in Win7 but I see no reason why it shouldn‘t work. There is an explanation and a link to Microsoft’s site here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2092881,00.asp

Admin. likes this.
  6. 2009/01/29
    winseven

Aha thanks BurrWalnut - I've tried the part highlighted red above and Windows says this file is causing slow shutdown: CTxfisp.exe
    It's obviously part of the driver installation for my Creative X-fi sound card but I'm not sure what it does.

Here's another forum reporting it as the cause of a similar propblem though. http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=436492 See posts 1,3, and 5.

Last edited: 2009/01/29
  7. 2009/01/31
    winseven

I disabled CTxfihlp.exe in msconfig (as suggested in above overclockers forum) and it seems to have cured the problem.