1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 no longer has sleep option after removing video card and using built-in/integrated graphic

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by magenta, 2017/06/13.

1. 2017/06/13
    magenta

magenta Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a failed video card so I've removed it and I've plugged my monitor directly into the motherboard's DVI slot.

I had to go into the BIOS to change the Initiate Graphic Adapter from "PCIE/PCI" to "iGPU". I went back and looked in the BIOS for any sort of power options but couldn't find any.

The sleep option is not available in two user accounts now. I thought for sure I'd find something in the BIOS, but nothing obvious caught my eye.

I used to have the "change when the computer sleeps" option pictured here but that option isn't even in my UI now. It isn't grayed out, it's not even there.

If I do the start menu then hover over the arrow next to shut down, sleep is grayed out. Hibernate is available.

I don't have any yellow or red icons in anything in my device manager. The display adapter there reads "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". I tried to update its driver but it says it's up to date.

Under the control panel -> power options -> advanced settings -> sleep, I tried setting a hibernate time and rebooting, but still no "change when the computer sleeps" option is available. Besides, I think hibernate is different from sleep, anyways.

Anyone have any ideas? I really want to be able to set a sleep time as I listen to audio in bed and I usually fall asleep before the audio ends so it's nice to set my sleep time before I go to bed and know the PC will go to sleep shortly after the audio ends and the computer goes inactive.

I've run "powercfg -a" in the command prompt and it says (full screenshot here):

* The following sleep states are available: hibernate
    * The following sleep states are not available: standby S1/S2/S3

Not super techie here, does this mean my motherboard/integrated graphics (which Windows is telling me is up to date) doesn't support putting the system to sleep???

2. 2017/06/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Probably. See if it works OK after you install your new card.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/14
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

5. 2017/06/14
    magenta

Yeah, this occurred to me on my train ride in this morning as I was thinking about it all. Should my display adapter be reading "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"? It seems to my pea brain that perhaps it should not for my integrated GPU.

I'll give this a shot tonight.

I'm assuming I want the following from the above link:

VGA
    • Version 8.15.10.2598
    • Description Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2598 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
    • File Size 385.87 MBytes
    • 2012/04/06

Last edited: 2017/06/14
  6. 2017/06/14
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Yes. It's a big dated but should work.

7. 2017/06/14
    magenta

Installed driver above and it is a thing of beauty now!

Thank you.