1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 missing All Programs & Start Menu Programs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 14U2DAY, 2013/04/08.

1. 2013/04/08
    14U2DAY Lifetime Subscription

14U2DAY Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I've explored high and low and no one seems to come up with an accurate explanation with a fix for this issue in Windows 7 64 bit. All of a sudden my "All Programs" and my "Start Menu Programs" have now disappeared! I do have search programs and files... above that there is nothing there. I had it one day and the next they were vanished. Has anyone came across these issues?

Not sure if me having my software programs installed on my "D" drive has anything to do with it... but from the software installation icons created on the desktop... the links work.

Please advise.

2. 2013/04/08
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

How many shortcuts (combined) do you have in

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You'll have to set Show hidden files, folders, and drives from Windows Explorer Organize > Folder and search options > View tab.

What happens when you start in Safe mode? Same issue?

What was the last software you installed?

Arie,
    lj50 likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/04/08

Hey Arie,

I do have the shortcuts in the above places on the "C:\" drive and now any new software applications that I initiate is now in the menu however, remember that I've move those locations to my "D:\" drive except for the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ". Everything is working fine and all software is installing on the "D:\" drive in the right respective places... even with a new user that I created... which has the default programs and not the installed programs. As far as viewing files, that was done at the beginning to show hidden files, folders and drives... one of those things I do after a stable OS installation and all windows updates. I did reboot into safe mode and the same issue.

Now this is where I think the problem lies... the last install was a program called "Sunrise Seven" an operating system optimization tool that makes accessing a variety of useful options on Windows 7 really simple... :eek: I think that this software went into the registry and deleted or changed something with "Windows Explorer" because now when I click on a folder, it just keep adding a new folder on each click. I did a restore to a point that I had before "Sunrise Seven" and nothing changed as far as the all programs start menu issue. I can see the start menu programs on the "C:\" and "D:\" drive and tried to copy them into another folder under my login user and still nothing... so I think the registry was not restored properly with something to do with "Windows Explore" and perhaps that's my problem. So, I thought that I would go back further and do a restore that I had 2 weeks prior when it was stable... the same thing. Again, everything is rock solid on installed software and the operating system but the all programs start menu... hmm... :confused:

5. 2013/04/08
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.

• Please download Unhide onto a USB device then transfer it to your desktop
    • Double click the [​IMG] icon
    • Once the program has completed a Windows alert will be displayed stating your files have been restored
    • Please reboot your computer
    • If the issues is not resolved please run the program a second time
    • Please copy and paste the contents of the Unhide.txt document which will be created on your desktop

lj50 likes this.
  6. 2013/04/08

Thank you broni,

This is what I have and couldn't go any further:

Attached Files:

7. 2013/04/08
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

That's fine..

I'm afraid you'll have fix your issue manually.
    I wrote instructions HERE

lj50 likes this.
  8. 2013/04/09
    Arie

14U2DAY, you only answered the question about which software you installed last, suggest you try answering the other questions I asked too.

Arie,
  9. 2013/04/11

Hello Arie,

If you take a look at my reply, I did answer your questions however, I did find out what the program did to my registry to dis-able the "All Programs" and all of the installed programs in the "Start Menu ". It was in the registry where the problem was... and it took me sometime to find it!!!!! That program did some nice things but as you can see it did some crazy actions as well. Thanks for all of your help in leading me in the right direction!!!!

tallin likes this.
  10. 2013/04/11

I don't like playing with the registry but I had no choice...

Here's the registry setting:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoStartMenuMorePrograms "=dword:00000001
    @= "0 "

Note: make sure the "default" is empty...

Attached Files:

11. 2013/04/12
    Arie

Since you resolved it, let me just point out that I can't find the answer to

Now, these are moot since you found a solution to your problem.