1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 Freezes Unknown Reason...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xerozen, 2009/01/11.

1. 2009/01/11
    Xerozen

Xerozen Inactive Thread Starter

Ok,
    for about the last two weeks, I was running Windows 7 32bit build 7000, which was downloaded to my computer through torrents. During that time I have since upgraded to new RAM which I have personally checked and ran through memtest. I have also added a twin to my Video Card to get SLI, which worked just fine in Windows 7 32bit. Due to the fact that my system could support 64bit, I wanted to give it a try, so I waited for the public beta to get a legit key and after a few hours of waiting and retrying I got one, for 64 and one for 32, just in case things went haywire with 64bit. Glad I did... here is my problem.

When I upgraded to Windows 7 64, with fresh install, I installed 64 bit drivers for everything. And everything will work flawlessly. After about 5 minutes of being logged on, sometimes less, it will freeze... no BSOD, no forewarning... just freeze. Can't move the mouse, can't type, can't do anything- Til I hard Boot it, and cycle through again. Originally I Thought this problem might be SLI related as I read a few posts else where citing Microsoft as saying that they feel that multicard setups provide an unstable computing environment, so I disabled SLI... same problem. I have uninstalled drivers to the video cards, and let windows 7 pick the best ones (1.1WDDM Pre-Release) same problem. I have re-installed Windows 7 and went from scratch only installing my wireless card (abit AirPace Wi-Fi) same problem, even if I install nothing at all... I could play a solitaire game- same problem...

Any suggestions?

Xerozen

2. 2009/01/11
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I would be looking at processor and motherboard. Have you overclocked that processor? Checked for BIOS and driver updates for MOBO? Maybe something helpful here.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/01/11
    Xerozen

eVGA's Bios for this board are a bit of a touchy factor... the Bios I currently have has the best performance for memory- read/write speeds, where as the latest gives me an unlocked multiplier, I don't need to upgrade the bios if I have no other problems... However, I am looking into the updated drivers (the nVidia ones for this board). I will keep you posted...

5. 2009/01/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

The only other idea I would have is to check the Event Logs & see if anything is listed there that would tie in with the freeze.

Arie,
  6. 2009/01/13
    Xerozen

I figured it out. My network card the abit Airpace Wi-Fi, doesn't have official 64bit drivers, so to make it work I had to somewhat make a custom driver- well, I just went to a hardwire set up temporarily and everything works like it should. I have ran windows 7 since about noon yesterday and no hickups...

This can be closed or deleted.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Xerozen

7. 2009/01/13
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

We don't close or delete. This will be part of our 'knowledge base'. The next user that comes along might find this information useful. After 30 days without a reply the thread will not be able to be replied to any longer.

Arie,