1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 10 Updates -- which are "important"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fourdoor2041, 2015/09/28.

1. 2015/09/28
    fourdoor2041

fourdoor2041 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Windows 10 displays the following available update. PXI - Pointing Drawing - HID-compliand device. Under details there is further direction:

"We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you don't see the install window, minimize this window, or check the taskbar. "

I have two questions: How do I determine which update is more important than others? Is this install necessary? Previous Windows listed updates in categories (Important, Recommended, Optional). Win10 lists updates in a new way. Any thoughts on how to determine which updates are more necessary than others with Win10?

2. 2015/09/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi fourdoor2041. In most cases you can tell which updates are important by reading the name of the Windows Update that is being offered. If its an update for Windows 10 then its most likely an important update but if there is an update for a hardware device in your case then you don't have to install it. If your hardware is working fine and you don't need that driver update for your HID compliant device then you can hide the update by following these instructions.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sadly, Microsoft is no longer providing detailed descriptions for W10 updates so in many cases, you will not be able to tell what they do.

That said, Microsoft has put a tremendous amount of resources into the entire Windows Update process to ensure users get updates they need and that nothing gets broken during the update process. And they have become very good at it. Yes, you still hear horror stories, but the facts are, there are nearly 1.4 billion Windows users out there and already 100 million Windows 10 users and by far, most have their W7/W8/W10 Windows Update set to automatically download and install the updates. IF WU was a problem, there would be many more horror stories and many more users making a LOT more noise about it. The horror stories that we hear about today are really few and far between. But upset people can make a lot of noise, and sadly there are many in the IT press who love to amplify, exaggerate and sensationalize any bad news concerning Windows.

I am just saying, especially with Windows 10, if it says you need it, I would just go for it. The odds are greatly in your favor nothing bad will happen. And in the rare event something does go bad, the odds are then greatly in your favor that you can easily back out it.

As far as your separate installation issue, it is not uncommon that one update needs to be installed before another can be. This sometimes even needs a reboot. Annoying at times and Microsoft is trying to minimize those circumstances but sometimes, especially with hardware devices and critical system files, it is necessary. But you might have noticed that in many of those cases, Windows 10 schedules that reboot early in the morning - just another reason to let your computer go to sleep rather than just shut it down completely.

Bill,
  5. 2015/09/29
    fourdoor2041

fourdoor2041 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks to Bill and Evan Omo for your helpful responses. This helps me and I will move forward and be much more comfortable with my automatic updates in Win10. Thanks again!