1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 10 Recovery/Reinstall Procedures

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by virginia, 2016/04/08.

1. 2016/04/08
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

I have helped upgrade a dozen or so computers from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The first few I did I used the on board Windows Update/Upgrade Icon method. The last few I used the Installation Media discs I created for 64 and 32 systems. All of these were OEM operating systems.

Do I need to create Recovery/Repair/Reinstallation discs for all of these computers or are the Media discs I created sufficient? I have done some searching at various sites but didn't find anything conclusive - at least to me.

2. 2016/04/09
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. Its not necessary to create a Windows 10 DVD as Windows 10 allows the user to reset the entire system but I would still create one just in case you need to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on a computer that isn't working right.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/09

Thanks Evan,

I have looked into "...creating a bootable DVD..." and everything I see leads me back to creating the W10 installation media which I have already done for 32 and 64 bit architecture. Do I need something in addition to that - bootable, recovery, reinstall? I had assumed I would need to create a special DVD for each computer.

If I had to do a complete reinstall, would the W10 installation media DVDs serve that purpose? Keeping in mind that the computers in question had either 7 or 8.1 as operating systems.

5. 2016/04/09
    Evan Omo

Nope you don't. A Windows 10 DVD is sufficient.

Yes it will.

6. 2016/04/09

Thanks Evan,

I think you got me squared away once again. I will mark this thread as "Resolved ".

I did look at Recovery on my Windows 10 desktop and found that I can create a recovery drive using an 8GB flash drive which I think I will do. It does indicate that the recovery drive can be used to reinstall Windows. By the way, I do a Macrium image backup once a week so I feel somewhat safe.

7. 2016/04/09
    Evan Omo

Ok that's good to know. Use whatever combination of recovery disks/Windows 10 DVD's that works for you. If that also involves you creating a system image of each computer then that's also a good thing you can have on hand as well.