1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 10 just installed itself: NO SOUND!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by chinaclipper, 2016/03/10.

1. 2016/03/10
    chinaclipper

chinaclipper Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So my computer loaded WIN 10 last night :mad: (That's another story). Everything OK except, yes, I have NO SOUND. After what was more then 3 hours, I am no closer then when I began. I have tried:
    1) rebooting, hard and soft reboots
    2) Remove and replace drivers
    3) Check to see if mutes were on/off etc. Basic stuff, right?
    Of course, the program says the driver is working well, and everything is fine, but yet I have no sound. I did make sure the speakers worked, were plugged in, and even tried them in the front input.

Nothing

I am sure(?) it is a software problem, but I am at a loss as how to proceed, this after trying several things I found on the 'net.

i am at work now, an of course no access to the home computer, so if I could get this going I could start gathering data and whatever when I get home, I could implement a strategy.

2. 2016/03/10
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you tried uninstall the driver than reboot the PC and let Windows try to pick it up? If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/10
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

Did it install itself without your permission? Mine did. My laptop was loaded with 8.1 when I got it, and I wasn't too impressed. I hadn't done any updates to my old desktop since Windows XP and I wondered what W-10 would be like.

A Microsoft pop-up offered what sounded like a guided tour through the highlights of W-10, so I clicked on it. After an hour or more, W-8.1 was gone and so was IE-11 and a full install of W-10 was in place. It also deleted many of the software programs I had purchased and added to the machine when it was running 8.1. I had to go through lot of hassle (and some expense) to get them all back. Replacements I had to purchase were all bought on re-usable media so the if this s-o-b does it again, I can reload them. Fortunately, none of the data associated with the deleted programs was affected. BTW, the sound works just fine on my Dell, though I have it turned off most of the time.

I'm certainly a lot less fond of Microsoft than I used to be, even though I live in their extended neighborhood (about 90 miles away). Any more **** like that and my laptop gets traded for an equivalent Apple machine. All my young adult grand-kids, their mom and my wife are Apple people. DW has an iPad after her MS laptop took an unexpected bath in a glass of Pinot Grigio and went out in a shower of sparks.

It will be a major re-learning experience to switch, but after ALGOL on a vacuum-tube computer in 1966, various flight simulator languages, real-time FORTRAN, MS from Windows 3.0 through XP, then to W-10, I hope I still have the smarts to make it, if it becomes necessary.

Last edited: 2016/03/10
  5. 2016/03/10
    chinaclipper

I used the realTek drivers for the HD sound... Still nothing!

6. 2016/03/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Asus specs for your motherboard list:
    Azalia ADI1986A, 6 -Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC
    Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
    S/PDIF out on back I/O port
    Jack-Sensing & Enumeration
    You show in your System Details a different audio detail. Have you checked in BIOS to see what is checked to operate? Neil.

7. 2016/03/10
    chinaclipper

Neil, I have the dxdiag log. Can you find the info there? I am checking BIOS after this.. :)
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 3/10/2016, 18:29:24
    Machine name: ALPHA
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160223-1728)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
    System Model: P5L-MX
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/05/07 15:43:52 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3456MB RAM
    Page File: 1732MB used, 5178MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 11.1
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

8. 2016/03/10
    chinaclipper

Neil, I looked at BIOS which has HD Audio Controller enabled....
    Audio: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)

Last edited: 2016/03/10
  9. 2016/03/10
    retiredlearner

Have you got your Asus Motherboard chipset DVD? why not run and see if the driver for Audio will fix the problem.
    Go to MS Fixit site and see if there is an audio fixit. Neil.

10. 2016/03/13
    Rendo

Rendo Well-Known Member

My update the past few days failed three times. My brothers lost sound. Microsoft needs to fix this last update mess.

11. 2016/03/13
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Very few people for the amount of people that have upgraded either from Win 7 or 8.1 have had any problems. I feel that MS did their best to make sure things went as smooth as possible.

How many people have bought a new vehicle and have had problems with them? Bought a new something else and had problems with it? Same difference in my opinion.

12. 2016/03/13
    chinaclipper

OK newest update...
    GOOD NEWS! I re-installed the driver using Neils suggestion, I now have sound, though a system called "sound MAX Integrated Digital HD Audio ". It has been set to "default device ". I will see how it goes and update prn
    CC

13. 2016/03/13
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the update. Hope it is the fix. Neil.