1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Win98] Date and Time Setting

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by xiaoyenzi, 2006/10/26.

1. 2006/10/26
    xiaoyenzi

xiaoyenzi Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've done some searching in this forum using the search function but couldn't find any relevant solution to my problem. Maybe anyone could pinpoint me by giving links or something to help me out.

In Windows XP, we are able to create different user accounts which we can set priviledge such as limited account, admin account, etc. But in Windows 98, by creating multiple profiles, any user that login the system can still simply change the system time and date.

I need to solve a problem here which can limit the user of the computer (running in Windows 98 SE) to change the system time and date. It suppose to be that only the administrator of the system has the authority to change the system time and date. Is there any possible ways of avoiding such act (changing of system time and date without authorization)? Or what should I do, so that normal user cannot change the system time and date?

I've tried creating user profile (non-admin profile), but still I can change the time and date. I think in Windows 98, all user profiles can change the system date and time right? So what can I do to solve my problem here?

Thank you in advance.

:)

2. 2006/10/26
    David Ryan

David Ryan Inactive

You could change this setting in the registry:
    You can write it into a reg file, and your login script can run that file to prevent the panel from showing up. Whether it also prevents opening the panel from the system tray I do not know.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/27
    xiaoyenzi

Thank you David Ryan.

I've tried what you said, but instead I did a little bit of research and found out that in Win98, I had to open up Control.ini in C:\Windows and add "timedate.cpl=no" right after the [Don't Load]. This works well such that the date and time setting is no longer shown in the control panel. But I still can modify the date and time from the desktop system tray.

Any suggested solution for this?
    Thank you.

5. 2006/10/27
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No, there's no solution for this.

Win98 isn't made to function with user profiles that have different levels of permissions.

Arie,
  6. 2006/10/27
    xiaoyenzi

Ok, noted. Thanks Admin Arie for your rapid feedback.:)